Using a soldering gun/iron with a modified sine wave inverter

Options
fixitdude
fixitdude Registered Users Posts: 5
Will I have any issues using a soldering gun/iron with a modified sine wave inverter?
Will the performance suffer?
Loss of heat out put?
Bad for the gun/iron?

Thank You

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Using a soldering gun/iron with a modified sine wave inverter
    fixitdude wrote: »
    Will I have any issues using a soldering gun/iron with a modified sine wave inverter?
    Will the performance suffer?
    Loss of heat out put?
    Bad for the gun/iron?

Thank You
    A typical soldering gun vibrates and hums like crazy when on because of the high current through an inexpensive transformer designed for intermittent use only. With MSW, it will be louder and shakier because of the squared off waveform. A resistive heating appliance like a soldering iron should be OK, but since the soldering gun incorporates a transformer, it is a different story.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A $20 soldering IRON will be just fine.

A $20 soldering GUN has a step-down transformer in it, and it will be UNHAPPY on mod-sine. It may function, or it may die, keep us posted

> $30 soldering "stations" have a bunch of electronics in them and if you use that, keep us posted.

ps - I don't think mod-square wave inverters are worth much.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've used both, from time to time for probably 20 years on square wave (the gun really buzzes) and later on MSW when they became available. No problem with iron. My 40 year old Weller gun has a wee bit of a buzz on MSW, other than that, for normal intermittent use, I've had no problems. The gun is usually down a bit on heat output, but it's also down a bit on the SureSine 300 inverter, as it's output voltage is roughly 110 volts, compared to 125 - 128 on grid. So it takes an extra second or two to come up to temperature, not a big deal. I usually use the gun on the Xantres 1800 inverter, as it's output voltage is a bit higher than the SureSine, thus it heats quicker. There is one downside to the higher voltage though, the gun tips don't last as long.
    But I still use an MSW inverter for the gun when using it on jobs in remote areas, powered from the car battery.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have used the Weller soldering station for years on MSW inverter. Never a problem 600w inverter and the car battery. You get a bit of transformer buzz but not a lot.. It takes about 2 seconds more to get up to heat than on grid.
    Mabe in another 10 yrs it wil fail.. ??/ Who knows;)
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

An el-cheapo solder iron is simply a resistive load. No temperature control circuit, no hum, no issues. I have used this Ungarmatic iron, along with a solder pot (same time), as a test load on a MSW inverter that I repaired (bad fan):

dsc_0074.jpg

Zero issues with this iron. No hum... but it doesn't have an adjustable temperature. So go simple, and it'll work fine.
  • fixitdude
    fixitdude Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

I have a new Weller D650 gun and a Weller 15 watt iron.
    After posting here I contacted Weller and Xantrex.
    Weller said it should not be a problem, Xantrex said it depends on the design of the tool.

Thanks for your replies.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fixitdude wrote: »
    I have a new Weller D650 gun and a Weller 15 watt iron.
    After posting here I contacted Weller and Xantrex.
    Weller said it should not be a problem, Xantrex said it depends on the design of the tool.

Thanks for your replies.
    Haha Xantrex covering their butts. :D
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No problems with a iron on a ms inverter