Newbie upgrading inverter--Sparks flew

Comments

• Earnest Tilley
    Earnest Tilley Solar Expert Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Newbie upgrading inverter--Sparks flew

I actually bought 3 tubes of bathroom/kitchen epoxy which ive been using to seal the box with the charge controller and batteries in ill try to get out there later today and get some pics of it i changed everything around moved the panels got them in a very big box which ill mount the solar panels on when they get here the 22 and 23 i got 4 85 watt panels coming the 22 and 2 the 23 and that xantrac c60 the 23 as well i got to move the ground bus bar to the other weather proof box but i got to put the kids trampoline together before i do anything ill post some pics later. Im posting a video to youtube right now but its taking forever ill post the link in a hr or so.
  • Earnest Tilley

http://youtu.be/3ax0GuTQC6E
    ok this is my setup before i get the other 6 85watt panels and the xantrax controller i know its a big video i dont know how to change the format to make it smaller or i would. I got alot of work to do on this box before it rains but i got everything off the bottom of the box to keep it from getting wet there is nothing being run into my house because i dont trust my setup just yet. Once i get everything in and hooked up the way i want it ill make sure nothing can go wrong then hook my window AC up with nothing else connected. It says processing video right now so i dont know if its done uploading.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

You know what I don't see in that video? Fuses or circuit breakers. None for the power going out of the batteries and none for the charging coming in.
    I do see doubled-up, undersized wiring.
    You want to make sure nothing goes wrong before you try it on the A/C? Fix those two points. Really important.
  • Earnest Tilley

I do have a 30 amp dc fuse coming from the charge controller to the batteries which is oversize i know since the charge controller is only a 10amp one. I would like to know what size fuses i will need if you have any input it would be greatly appreciated after Thursday ill have 8 85watt panels at 5 amp each with a xantrax charge controller. The cheep a$$ charge controller i have will only allow me to put a #12 wire in it so i figured i would double/triple it up to make sure it don't get hot. Another thing the 1500 watt inverter i have never seems to run the fans i can put my hand on it and its warm the 400watt inverter i replaced, the fan ran all the time no matter what the load is this a problem i also noticed that the 400watt inverter used a WHOLE lot more power than the 1500 watt one does. Another thing i did superglue those bus bars into that plastic box with the - and + in it and i cant get the - out ive tried vise grips and i cant get them off its melted to the plastic should i get another bus bar for the ground and put it in that other box? i do have a car dc meter in the box im going to use for the - coming from the solar panels but its over a volt off when it says 13v its actually 13.49v according to my multimeter but i use the + and - to power the fan pushing air out of the box. Should i do away with the crappy volt meter and get another one i would love to have a digital one if anyone knows a good place that has a good price to get one i would be grateful. I seen a 200 amp fuse someone posted earlier but i cant follow any links to it to get it. If that person could post a link to the site to get it i would love you long long time ;)
  • Cariboocoot

Okay, here's the thing. Your cheap 10 Amp charge controller only allows 12 AWG because that is capable of handling all the current the controller can put out, and then some. With that unit you would have a 15 Amp fuse or breaker on the output.

Now when you go up to eight panels and the Xantrex C40 you have two things to worry about: input and output.
    On the input side you will have eight panels in parallel. Their Imp is 5 and their Isc will be around 6. You need to protect each one from being an ignition source in the event of failure. Since two or more of these panels can put 10+ Amps into any one that shorts, you should have a 7.5 to 10 Amp fuse on each panel. If your lucky the panel info includes a fuse rating; use that if it does.
    On the output side you have a controller capable of 40 Amps. To handle that much current you need 8 AWG wire minimum. If the terminals will take 6 AWG you might want to use that. The fuse or breaker has to be able to handle the 40 Amps too, which means a 50 Amp rating. Again the instructions with the controller should say exactly what the manufacturer recommends and that is the best choice.

I'm not surprised the 1500 Watt inverter stays cool when the 400 Watt one was heating. That's a pretty big difference in power capacity. It's really important to have a fuse on the inverter, as the current draw will go up as the battery Voltage gets pulled down in order to supply the same power (Watts). 1500 Watts @ 12 Volts is 125 Amps. At 11 Volts it's 136. At 10 it's 150. (For best performance don't let the batteries get below 12 VDC "resting".) The inverter manual should say what size fuse to use on it. If it doesn't, then you have to go with the calculated version which would be 200 Amps.

You know the forum's host Northern Arizona Wind and Sun carries all this stuff. Even if you don't end up buying from them, it's a good reference starting point as it will give you and idea what is available and a reasonable cost. Some of the items you're looking for:

Meters: http://www.solar-electric.com/metersmonitors.html
    Fuses/breakers: http://www.solar-electric.com/cipr1.html
    Combiner boxes: http://www.solar-electric.com/sopawiinco.html
    The whole store: http://www.solar-electric.com/

You can browse ... and dream ... and make up that wish list. :D
  • Earnest Tilley

the charge controller i ordered is the c60 does that make a difference?
  • Cariboocoot
    the charge controller i ordered is the c60 does that make a difference?

The C60 is basically a 60 Amp version of the C40. If you're only going to use it at 40 Amps you can wire the output that way. But on the other hand ... what about tomorrow when you decide you need more power? :cool:
  • Earnest Tilley

I wish i had seen the combiner boxes before i bought the big outdoor box with nothing in it i spent $50 on that outdoor box and another $40 on boxes to rip bus bars out of. I could not find anyone around here that sold just bus bars. Wallie world has some of the car fuse holders for $2 each ill grab a few more to put on my panels do you recommend wire nuts to connect them or should i be melting them together i dont see any power drop with the wire nuts but i want to do it right. The other thing i need to know is i will be getting 4 of the 85watt panels on Tuesday but the other 2 and the xantrax controller wont be here till Thursday if i hook those 4 up to that charge controller which is 10 amp am i going to burn it up?
    Whats the advantage of 24v vs 12v if i wire my 85 watt panels in series to get 24v wont i be loosing 85 watts of power? how does that work?
  • Cariboocoot
    I wish i had seen the combiner boxes before i bought the big outdoor box with nothing in it i spent $50 on that outdoor box and another $40 on boxes to rip bus bars out of. I could not find anyone around here that sold just bus bars. Wallie world has some of the car fuse holders for $2 each ill grab a few more to put on my panels do you recommend wire nuts to connect them or should i be melting them together i dont see any power drop with the wire nuts but i want to do it right.

I don't like wire nuts: they let moisture creep in and corrode connections where you can't easily see it. You should be able to get a blade fuse block from an auto parts store. It will allow you to connect the panels to a common point through one fuse each. Sort of the fuse holder and bus bar all in one.
    The other thing i need to know is i will be getting 4 of the 85watt panels on Tuesday but the other 2 and the xantrax controller wont be here till Thursday if i hook those 4 up to that charge controller which is 10 amp am i going to burn it up?

If the controller is any good at all, it will work up to 10 Amps. Any power beyond that simply will not pass through the controller. So there's no point in putting the extra panels in. You could wire it up, and just leave the fuses out of the "extra" panels for now.
    Whats the advantage of 24v vs 12v if i wire my 85 watt panels in series to get 24v wont i be loosing 85 watts of power? how does that work?

You can use a 24 Volt array through a PWM type controller on a 24 Volt system. If you use it on a 12 Volt system, yes half the power is just lost. The only way to go from 24 Volt array to 12 Volt system is with an MPPT type controller, and they are considerably more expensive. If this were a typical install with panels on the roof and the controller 30 feet away it would make sense to spring for the expensive controller as you will be over 600 Watts of array and the wiring advantages of the MPPT would really help. If the panels are going to be directly on top of your "power box" as now then the distance and its associated Voltage drop isn't much of a concern.
  • Earnest Tilley

Today is the DAY!! i ordered 4 85 watt solar panels then the next day ordered 2 more all 6 will be here today ;) only with that new charge controller would come today.
  • jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I apologize but I have not been able to follow this entire thread so I may not be understanding it all.

I would suggest you Stop buying things right now. Cancel, send back anything you can until you know what to do. All I see is that you are trying to make bits and pieces work together.

I hope the experts here have been following this and can guide you into making a sensible system. At this point I don’t know what your goals/loads are and what equipment you do have.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    jeffkruse wrote: »
    I apologize but I have not been able to follow this entire thread so I may not be understanding it all.

I would suggest you Stop buying things right now. Cancel, send back anything you can until you know what to do. All I see is that you are trying to make bits and pieces work together.

I hope the experts here have been following this and can guide you into making a sensible system. At this point I don’t know what your goals/loads are and what equipment you do have.

I agree with you "Jeffkruse". What's happening reminds me so much of the "Fire, Aim, Ready" process that brings heartache and disappointment, and which some of the real experts on this form have tried so many times to warn against over the years. Unfortunately there comes a time when, after going in circles, we give up and walk away, and that's sad, but it's human nature.
  • Earnest Tilley

Thanks guys i appreciate the input but like most people in the world i make the money i spend and will spend it and way i choose weather other people like what i buy or not thats on them. I love the feedback i get from the forum most is very informative and very helpful but like i said earlier in the thread this is just a starter system for me i want to see what i can do with it, im not trying to cut out the power company or cut any of my bills its a hobby. I did get all 6 panels in today and got 3 hooked up but ran out of wire. The c60 will be here tomorrow and i will get some more wire and finish all the wiring and fuzing. The kill a watt meter said i had used 1.1kw today and my batteries are still over 13v with just 2 85 watt panels connected today ;) I cant wait to see what it does tomorrow with the new controller and 8 panels.
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭

Earnest.. Good for you.. Try and see what you can get out ot it.. don't fry the batteries and kill them prematurely..

I too will be going to that big step in about 5-7 months..

I'm just buying in reverse of you.. controller, combiner, inverter, & wiring.. then panels later..

I am focused on 125-140 w panels *4 for a start.. (500 - 560 watts of panel total).. my funding is nill so that part will be probably 2 panels at a time over the next 6-8 weeks..

I figured panels in different combos (all below my charge controller max).. and for what funding I will have.. ($800-1300)..

I have quotes on 4 Kyoceras 135w from NAWS for $1405 shipped ($351/each).. to 125w panels for $250/each shipped..

I found some Sopray 140w panels for $260 shipped.. but again I am broke..

The ET Solar 185w and AstroEnergy 190w look good also for pricing.. then the shipping kills it.. (that and there bigger)..

I'm between $1.85/watt and $2.30/watt shipped for most pricing I have found for the 120-140w 12v panels..

A person/company offered my layway on some no-name 130w panels for $1.69/watt.. but I later declined as they were not CE tagged..

Take your time on your setup and think about wiring and such..
  • Earnest Tilley

Famous last words of my generation (Hold my beer and watch this). Well i had a few last night and decided to hook up the rest of my panels after i found my wire and got everything done was so happy with myself for getting it all done before i had to be in the bed to get up and take my wife to the doctor. I just forgot one thing last night. You remember that 10amp charge controller (i use to have) ;) . Well i forgot to unhook it last night and well when we got back from the doctors office i went out back to marvel at my success and i open the box with all my batteries and inverter and what could possibly be the remains of a burnt hamburger (ie the 10amp charge controller) I was soooooo lucky that didnt catch fire and burn all my panels and batteries and inverter up I said a little thanks god for small blessings ;) I was going to hook up the c60 tonight but im just to tired im going to hook it up tomorrow and see if its any good and it will give me more time to read the manual.

p.s. 40 > 10
    o and before you guys ream me about breakers and fuses i did get 15amp fuses for each of my panels and i checked each one for volts and they are all still working and fine.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always good when the 10 a controller portects the 15A fuses . Bummer, but hey, now yuo can get a new controller !

What was model of the burnt one, usually they are supposed to shut down, not BBQ
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Earnest Tilley
    mike90045 wrote: »
    It's always good when the 10 a controller portects the 15A fuses . Bummer, but hey, now yuo can get a new controller !

What was model of the burnt one, usually they are supposed to shut down, not BBQ

Im sure glad i had that 60 amp charge controller coming that same day. I did get it hooked to the 8 85 watt panels and its been running my 5400btu window ac unit all day its working Great. The window unit is pulling just under 600 watts on high cool ( which my central air has only kicked on probably twice today ;) )which is real close to what my solar panels are putting out but if its not sunny its usually not hot so it wont be running anyway. I will have to turn the ac unit off when it starts getting dark but it does EXACTLY what i wanted my system to do. Thanks guys for all your help with this.
  • ywhic
    Im sure glad i had that 60 amp charge controller coming that same day. I did get it hooked to the 8 85 watt panels and its been running my 5400btu window ac unit all day its working Great. The window unit is pulling just under 600 watts on high cool ( which my central air has only kicked on probably twice today ;) )which is real close to what my solar panels are putting out but if its not sunny its usually not hot so it wont be running anyway. I will have to turn the ac unit off when it starts getting dark but it does EXACTLY what i wanted my system to do. Thanks guys for all your help with this.

You suck.. your where I want to be at in TX.. A/C and 1500 watt inverter.. LoL

just kidding.. just take time to check your wiring and such.. upgrade anything you may question..
  • Earnest Tilley

Listen to the guys on the forum everyone has been really helpful. Only thing i have left to do is get the big 200amp fuse to put between my inverter and batteries. Later im going to get 4 golf cart batteries and 2 - 4 24v 300 watt panels. Im going to try to run another bigger ac unit with it and see if i can get my central unit to just not even come on ;)

One thing i have noticed is that when i had the kill a watt meter plugged into the wall the ac was only using 520 - 550 watts now that its on the inverter its reading between 580 and 603, Is it because i have a 80ft extension cord running from my inverter to the ac?
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    One thing i have noticed is that when i had the kill a watt meter plugged into the wall the ac was only using 520 - 550 watts now that its on the inverter its reading between 580 and 603, Is it because i have a 80ft extension cord running from my inverter to the ac?

Yes. That extension cord gets pretty warm, I'll wager, and that's where the extra power is going.
  • Earnest Tilley

Ok I just checked my window unit ran by the pv panels, checked the voltage on my batteries and its says my batteries where down to 12.07v just before i turned the window unit off I checked the kw used it said 3.5kw. I turned the window unit off and went and checked it again and it was at 12.58v? How did it go back up so fast its still sunny out for a few more hours today but not peak hours. Its going up .01v every few seconds and within 30 min had got to 13.47v the xantrax c60 is blinking 4times which means its almost full charge to the batteries. This is my first day with a big load on the panels/batteries and im not sure what to expect out of the panels and batteries is this normal? I have 2 100amp hr batteries and 2 140 amp hr batteries made by the same company connected + to + and - to - with the charge controller hooked - on one end of the chain and + on the other and the same way with the inverter, just not + and - on the same end with the charge controller. O the window unit had been running for 6 hrs i checked the watts used about every hour and as the voltage on the batteries went down the watts used from the window unit went up, is this normal as well?
  • ywhic

Your pumping 680 watts (8 panels*85 watts) back in per hour.. (well maybe 523 watts/hour at 77% eff rating)

Thats about 50 amps per hour back into the battery bank (unless my numbers are screwy)..

Your next buy should be the meter for the Xantrex so you know for sure what your panels are producing and the amperage coming in... as well as your battery usage.. the LED's are OK.. but a meter would be better..

I know my Morningstar meter is about $100 and will be bought before I go south and hook this all up..

I'm guessing your running the A/C when you have sun as well to get 6 hours of A/C out it before hitting the 12.07 v reading..

ETA: note thats a 240 ah 12v battery bank..
  • ywhic

I wouldn't take it to 12.07 v.. I'd shut it off when I got to 12.32(70%) or 12.2v (60%).. but thats just me..

For every watt you show on your watt meter on the A/C your drawing * 10 amps DC..

Based on your 3.5KW on the meter (for 6 hours) your at 583 watts per hour for the A/C which is 58 AMPS per hour..

Now since your panels are getting you power.. some math is needed to figure out what your panel is supplying and what the actual draw is on the battery..

you need 348 amps DC ah (58 amps above * 6 hours) to run this 6 hours..

you used 50% of your 240 ah battery bank.. 120 ah..

your panels must have brought in 228 ah of power for that 6 hour span.. about 38 amps per hour..

My numbers may be off but you get the idea.. run the A/C only when you have sun and you won't kill your batteries as much..

Cut it back to 4 hours of A/C and your bank will use almost no battery..

I'm sure someone will correct me.. but this may give your some insight..
  • Cariboocoot

When it comes to comparing Voltage to SOC, the usual numbers only apply to resting Voltage: no current going in or out.
    A battery under load may show a Voltage reading lower than you might want in terms of SOC, but it will "rebound" when that load is removed.
    If you want to determine a maximum low Voltage point, you can run the A/C until the battery shows 12 Volts, then turn it off and see how much the Voltage comes up with no load. In theory you could then take the loaded battery down to 12 Volts - this Voltage difference, meaning it will rebound to the 50% SOC of 12 Volts resting.

This level of discharge shortens battery life. However, the same test can be applied to higher SOC points.
  • Earnest Tilley

ok what is the lowest/highest i can take my batteries. I have 2 knobs on my inverter that is for bulk and float what should they be set to? Right now i have them set to bulk right around 13.7 and float at right around 13.5 O and remember i have no cue what im doing with these knobs im just guessing so if you have any input on this i would love you long time ;) . I have seen my batteries get to 13.73 when floating/ the green light always lit but per the knob for float it is not suppose to get above 13.5. I dont know if you have dealt with a xantrax c60 before but the manual and the knobs are confusing sense the c35 c40 and c60 are all kinda patched together ( i guess there made in the same place and put stickers for all of them on each one). I want to get the batteries to bulk at 14.4 and float at 13.5 but its hard to understand the manual i been though it like 100 times and i think i get more confused each time i read it.
  • Cariboocoot

That's two different things: the knobs are on your charge controller and are for selecting from the preset levels for Absorb & Float levels. I believe Xantrex uses the term "Bulk Voltage" where they mean "Absorb Voltage" (it is the set-point where charging transitions from Bulk to Absorb). The three models function pretty much the same save differences in current capacity and input Voltage (I believe the C40 is the only one suitable for 48 Volt systems).

The Low Voltage Disconnect and Low Voltage Reconnect settings are for when the unit is used as a load controller. You're supposed to change the decal on the knobs if you're using like this. Since you're using it as a charge controller, this information does not apply.

You need to look at the knob settings on Page 23 in the manual. That gives the info for 12, 24, and 48 (C40 only) systems.

How low you can take your batteries in discharge has nothing to do with your charge controller. Some inverters have a programmable low Voltage cut-out, others do not. If yours doesn't you either have to keep an eye on it yourself or change inverters or add an external Voltage controlled switch to shut it off (which is not simple, cheap, or always possible depending on the inverter involved).
  • Earnest Tilley

Attachment not found.
    i had inline fuses connected to my panels 15 amp each i could not find any 12 amp fuses which the panels called for but i found this fuse block which i got 2 of are these ok to use?
    Attachment not found.

i got my inverter set to 14.4 bulk and 13.5 float which that picture in my book on page 23 that you mentioned shows the bulk being around 14.8v is that acceptable to put that many volts into a battery?
  • Cariboocoot

I can't see pictures very well. But as a rule "12 Volt automotive" fusing works fine on "12 Volt" panels. What is the Isc rating on the panels? Something around 6 Amps? (85 Watts / 17.5 Vmp = 4.8 Amps Imp). If so you could use 7.5 Amp fuses or 10 Amp fuses. The point being that you have more than 3 in parallel you want to prevent greater than Isc from going to a panel if it becomes shorted (low resistance). 15 Amps might be too high a fuse rating.
    i got my inverter set to 14.4 bulk and 13.5 float which that picture in my book on page 23 that you mentioned shows the bulk being around 14.8v is that acceptable to put that many volts into a battery?

Trojan recommends 14.8 Volt Absorb for their batteries. Other makes recommend other Voltages. The important thing is to set the Voltage for what is right for your batteries. If you don't have data for that it is better to go with the default setting for flooded cells which is 14.4.
  • ywhic

Earnest I know you said your panels were $168 each and I know where you got them..

What is the NAME on the sticker on the back say??

And are they CE & UL rated??

I am looking at the same site for either 125 or 140w panels and want to know the brand name..
  • Earnest Tilley

there iec csa ce tuv and ul rated their id numbers are - IEC: c1-an07001 , TUV: 0000022551 , and UL: e330673, The ce numbers on the back of the panels as well but i cant get under it to see it i only have a 1" clearance under my panels and dont want to take them up right now its midday and my ac is running.

O by the way i got it worked out so that my window unit comes on just before my central does. I use to have my central set to 72 degrees but after i put the window unit in and got it setup right i bumped it up to 76 and put my window unit on 72 degrees the window unit has its own thermostat which is not even close to being right but it comes on about a min before my central does. The central kicks on then in about 3-5 min it shuts off, where before my central was staying on all the time before i got the window unit plugged up ;) . Im sooo happy with my setup its not funny. I been checking on my batteries to make sure there not draining down to low and guess what. They have been staying right around 13v way better than i though it would. That first day i plugged the ac up i ran it on high cool for 6 hrs straight and it just about killed my batteries. With the thermostat going and kicking on and off its lovely.