anyone know much about these Korean Panels?

Options

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: anyone know much about these Korean Panels?

I have no experience with them, but when I read 24V nominal and see most of the panels have a VMP of 30 volts or less that sends up lots of red flags for me.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

why is that a red flag?
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

You can view real-world performance of those panels on quite a few installations here:
    http://www.solar-yield.eu/plant/search

Type in "s-energy" in the "Module Producer" field.
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Options
    why is that a red flag?

A 24v panel usually indicates that it should have 35ish VMp to be able to charge a 24v bank. You need just under 30v to do that. If the panels max is below that, there is an issue. That is my noob answer to your question. Others will have the exact answer shortly.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Seven wrote: »
    A 24v panel usually indicates that it should have 35ish VMp to be able to charge a 24v bank. You need just under 30v to do that. If the panels max is below that, there is an issue. That is my noob answer to your question. Others will have the exact answer shortly.

That is the right answer. :D
    A Vmp of 30 is too high for a 12 Volt system and too low for 24. You would have to use an MPPT charge controller and for 24 Volts put two or more in series. Otherwise the inevitable Voltage losses from heat, wiring, and controller could leave you with too low a charge Voltage in the middle of the day when you're trying to get through the Absorb cycle. But that's in respect to an off-grid application.

Most likely these panels are meant for a grid-tie system. 12-16 in series would yield 360-480 Volts, which is what you might expect for central inverters. You'd have to check with manufacturers to see if they'd be compatible with microinverters.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

Just found out these panels are not UL rated.
    So for many they can't be used on grid.
    Their voltage is too low for a battery system.
    So what are they good for?
    Just direct drive applications like fans and pumps?

Seems too limiting.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

RE,

As Coot said in the post just above your most recent, "You would have to use an MPPT charge controller and for 24 Volts put two or more in series".

So, yes you can use them in a 12, 24, or 48 volt system if you use an MPPT controller with appropriate specs.

The MPPT controller Buck the input voltage of several of these panels in series to a lower battery voltage.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Shane Jackson
    Shane Jackson Solar Expert Posts: 49
    Options

Im still trying to find more info on these panels... anyone else have any luck?