getting ready

TBob
TBob Registered Users Posts: 0
Hi, 
I am getting my off-grid home set up and will have a 48 volt system

I have 10 320 watt 24 volt panels, an Outback FlexMax 80, and 8 L16HC XC2 (420ah) batteries for a 48 volt bank to start with. The plan is to double this next year.

My lighting runs on a separate 12 volt system which is already in place.

The questions I have are:
I need a circuit breaker installed I assume.

What do I need for a charger/inverter to do the following.

I need to feed a 120 volt breaker box from the 48 volt system, and am unsure what type of inverter I will need to do this. There is zero grid power to the property, so that is not a concern...there never will be as it is so remote the cost is prohibitive.

What am I missing?

Thank you

Comments

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    You are missing a backup generator and battery charger.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general batteries age together, I would not add new batteries to 1 year old batteries.

If you only have 120 volt then just about any 48 volt to 120 volt inverter would be fine.

There are assorted fuses or breakers needed. Midnite makes an Epanel that has most of them all in one place. Some Epanels allow for mounting types of inverters on the door making for a compact system, or generic ones allow for mounting beside the inverter.

https://www.solar-electric.com/marine-rv/installation-supplies/midnite-solar-e-panels.html

In addition you will want a combiner box if you have more than 2 strings of solar panels, this allows for fuses or breakers for each string on panels.

A generator is often nice for backup, I don't use one, but most have some sort of back up energy.

If you already have purchased the batteries, it would be good to charge them every  month or so...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If using an Outback charge controller, there is something to be said for using an Outback inverter/charger so you can share mate display/control. An epanel definitely helps with wiring, breakers, etc.

I would second the thought on not mixing new and old batteries.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have no 240V loads (well pump ?)  then any 120V pure sine inverter that meets your max power needs would work.  Check the standby self consumption,  that can amount to a fair amount of "lost power" in 24 hours
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,