lithium battery

rasakumar
rasakumar Registered Users Posts: 1
I want to use lithium battery for the ups. So any ups available with the option of varying the charging voltage?
Tagged:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Many good quality inverter chargers are programmable for charger settings (Schneider, Magnum, possibly outback).

Mostly medium to larger inverter-chargers.

Do you have an inverter wattage rating and battery bus voltage you are looking for?

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Outback Power makes Radian 4000 and 8000 watt inverter chargers with 7 modes of operation, one of them is a UPS mode. The charger can be configured to charge lithium batteries.

I have the Radian GS4048A, and although I haven't used the UPS mode, I have used the Radian to charge my 207AH LiFePO4 battery bank from the grid a number of times prior to bad weather events.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Generally, you have to pick the correct number of cells to give you (for example 22-23 volts low voltage cutoff and somewhere around 30 volts maximum (different Li Ion chemistries have different min-max ranges).

And most most Likely Ion have zero temperature compensation for charging voltage.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018 #5
    There are always the drop in replacements for lead acid, no experience personally, but asking the manufacturer may be an option worth looking into
    https://www.solar-electric.com/battle-born-bb5012-50ah-12v-lithium-battery.html
    What I do know by asking the manufacturer directly is they are constructed with many small cells in a series parallel configuration, with a built-in  BMS, their claim of 100% DOD, inclues a safty margin, in other words, their capacity is actually greater than the nominal rating, so 100% discharge is actually 90%, likewise the 100% charged is actually ~95%, to prevent overcharging/discharging.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.