Murky Battery Cell

TombslTombsl Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
I have one cell in one battery in my off grid system that appears brownish and murky.  Any thoughts about why this is happening and what I can do about it ?

Comments

• mvasmvas Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #2
    Lead dioxide is brownish in color.
    PbO2 is what the positive plate is made of.
    Did you over-charge the battery?
  • TombslTombsl Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
    The voltage to the battery bank is controlled by a three stage controller, so it shouldn't have been over-charged. by the solar panels. I do have a high capacity charger attached to the batteries but it also has a controlled charge. So I think the answer is no.  Thanks for the feedback. Do any other possibilities come to mind? 
  • mike95490mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭✭
    How old is the battery?   Eventually, one cell fails.  Also, sometimes when charging or adding water, the murk in the sump gets stirred up and needs a day to settle back down.  Check it in the morning before charging stirs it up.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivormcgivor Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 said:

How old is the battery?   Eventually, one cell fails.  Also, sometimes when charging or adding water, the murk in the sump gets stirred up and needs a day to settle back down.  Check it in the morning before charging stirs it up.
    Age of the battery is a factor, if the SG is fine it is probably as @mike95490 says, a cell fart, this can stir the sludge in the sump, have seen it happen, next day clear again, the plates are sacrificial which is why there is space below.
      1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider 150 60 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 8×T105 GC 24V nominal