Murky Battery Cell

Tombsl
Tombsl Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
I have one cell in one battery in my off grid system that appears brownish and murky.  Any thoughts about why this is happening and what I can do about it ?

Comments

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #2
    Lead dioxide is brownish in color.
    PbO2 is what the positive plate is made of.
    Did you over-charge the battery?
  • Tombsl
    Tombsl Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
    The voltage to the battery bank is controlled by a three stage controller, so it shouldn't have been over-charged. by the solar panels. I do have a high capacity charger attached to the batteries but it also has a controlled charge. So I think the answer is no.  Thanks for the feedback. Do any other possibilities come to mind? 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old is the battery?   Eventually, one cell fails.  Also, sometimes when charging or adding water, the murk in the sump gets stirred up and needs a day to settle back down.  Check it in the morning before charging stirs it up.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 said:

How old is the battery?   Eventually, one cell fails.  Also, sometimes when charging or adding water, the murk in the sump gets stirred up and needs a day to settle back down.  Check it in the morning before charging stirs it up.
    Age of the battery is a factor, if the SG is fine it is probably as @mike95490 says, a cell fart, this can stir the sludge in the sump, have seen it happen, next day clear again, the plates are sacrificial which is why there is space below.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.