1 & 2 Panel Trackers???

RWB
RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey everybody I wanted to ask and see what you guys know is out there when it comes to 1 or 2 panel small single and dual axis sun trackers?

I'm also looking for good sources on Tripods.

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: 1 & 2 Panel Trackers???

Not sure why you would bother - the cost of a small tracker is likely to be as much as buying a 2nd panel.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

is the second one a fold-able panel?

If so i was under the impression that they would give good output even when not oriented to optimal..??

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • RWB
    Windsun wrote: »
    Not sure why you would bother - the cost of a small tracker is likely to be as much as buying a 2nd panel.

A valid point until you factor in the higher cost of the foldable solar panels our clients like to buy. I am looking at a nice tracker now that only cost around $300 retail for the whole setup which is much cheaper than most foldable solar panel options.

Some places are claiming up to 60% increase in harvest. Maybe, Maybe Not but I'm down to do some real world testing my self to see what I get.

So when you talking about house installs then your right its not really worth it, but when you are talking about Portable systems and trying to maximize every little thing you can then a cheap reliable tracker starts to make more sense.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

foldable or not they need aimed at the sun for optimal power. i'm not too sure without reading back on everything as to why somebody would want foldable pvs on a tracker.
  • RWB
    westbranch wrote: »
    is the second one a fold-able panel?

If so i was under the impression that they would give good output even when not oriented to optimal..??

Eric

Foldable panels are no different than Glass Aluminum Framed panels. You have to point them directly at the sun for max power output. If the sun is direclty over head then you can lay them flat and be just fine.
  • RWB
    niel wrote: »
    foldable or not they need aimed at the sun for optimal power. i'm not too sure without reading back on everything as to why somebody would want foldable pvs on a tracker.

Because they fold up to the size of a large book and weigh much less than Glass Panels, and there is no glass to easily break.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

will you be testing amorphous panels as well, since weight is a consideration?
    lower output power per m3 but lighter.

I am thinking you will want a method of anchoring the legs as the tripod lengths will be quite small...

HTH
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • RWB

I'm thinking of designing it hold 1 of our 220W Foldable Panels with 21% Efficient SunPower Cells or 2 of our 110W Foldable's with 21% Efficient Solar Cells.

This way I will have the smallest panel area possible due to using some of the highest efficiency cells available.

Its hard to get the foldable panels angled correctly a lot of the time and laying them flat on the ground is only good when the sun is directly above you and that's only for part of the year. So providing a way to angle the panels + Track the Sun at the same time would allow people a way to maximize every last ray from the sun.

The SunPower Cells do great under low light conditions due to how sensitive they are thus they produce more power earlier in the day vs less efficient cells or Amorphous or CIGS Thin Film Types. So I'm curious as to how much the increase could be per day from a Single Axis Tracker?

I'm interested in how small, portable, and lightweight I can make one of these trackers.

I have not seen many of them out there and was just curious if anybody has seen any cool contraptions to track the sun on a small scale.

I go back and forth on weather its worth it or not, I think I need to know how much of a increase Single Axis tracking with our panels + MPPT Solar Charging could net us per day. If its a 50-60% increase then it might be worth looking in to if I can sell the trackers for less than it would cost to get that increase by buying a expensive foldable solar panel.

Anybody have any Single Axis Tracker data? I'm sure there are lots of different opinions on this and I'm glad to hear them.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cross section aluminum corner to corner 'X' shape like some of the flagman ahead signs would might work as a mount, but the added weight between mount and the tripod that would withstand even moderate winds, even adding balast at site or screwing the center down, would out weigh a second panel.

Simplest lightest way to orient to the sunwould be a couple sturdy tent poles and guy wires to stretch out the fabric panel., this might weigh as little as the panels to begin with. Again wind is your antithesis, you have a large sail and ground mounting will be likely preferable in many situations.

I have a bunch of 5 watt - 6 volt panels and have played with doing a foldup panel, so these are reasonably well thought out.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

Try this site for some ideas on small DIY trackers: http://www.redrok.com/led3xassm.htm#rimod
    Lots of stuff if you want to build something yourself.
    Larry