Need Help Finding This Electrical Box

RWB
RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anybody know where I can find these electrical boxes with the buss bars?

Comments

• newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Need Help Finding This Electrical Box

Looks jerry-rigged.

What do you need it for?

If you are combining 3 or more PV strings, each string needs to have overcurrent protection.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

it may be commercial, but certainly can be made at home. that is a double outlet box with buses attached within and matching plastic box entrances to secure the wires. this, as it is, should not be used outdoors as it would not be able to weather well.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

That's all stock Home Depot stuff, thats a 6" PVC work box with buss bars ( next isle over from all the PVC stuff )
  • RWB

Thanks Solar Guppy!
  • RWB
    niel wrote: »
    it may be commercial, but certainly can be made at home. that is a double outlet box with buses attached within and matching plastic box entrances to secure the wires. this, as it is, should not be used outdoors as it would not be able to weather well.

That box will be filled with Epoxy to seal all the connections.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I think that is actually an outdoor box. If it were positioned so that the single fat cable with the gripping connector was "up" then it should be fine outdoors.

I personally would *never* fill an electrical box with epoxy - it needs to be "inspectable".
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like those buss bars, they come VERY close to the box chassis, with no visible insulation (maybe there is a clear plastic shield under and over them)(edit duh - it's a plastic box) You are combining your PV in there ? Fuses ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• RWB
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I don't like those buss bars, they come VERY close to the box chassis, with no visible insulation (maybe there is a clear plastic shield under and over them)(edit duh - it's a plastic box) You are combining your PV in there ? Fuses ?

We are building a Connector System for 20 60w PowerFilm Foldable Solar Panels.

This is just one of many boxes. I just didn't know where to find the boxes with the Buss Bars so we can make our own cables.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Why don't you just use standard array combiner boxes that are made for such things? http://store.solar-electric.com/sopawiinco.html

I might add that the lifespan on those foldable panels is not very good compared to standard panels.
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

Bus Bar the box comes from Home Depot, Grovers Electric or, Lowes. Some assembly required!
  • RWB
    Windsun wrote: »
    Why don't you just use standard array combiner boxes that are made for such things? http://store.solar-electric.com/sopawiinco.html

I might add that the lifespan on those foldable panels is not very good compared to standard panels.

Thanks for the ideas but the client specifically wants this made a specific way. The standard combiner boxes will not work for this project unless we want to waste tons of money on extra wiring.

This project calls for foldable panels, the glass aluminum frame panels are way to heavy, fragile, and big.