Invertek inverter

momofgcm
momofgcm Solar Expert Posts: 35
I'm looking for an inverter for a 1KW fridge. I was looking at a 1000W inverter but I'm afraid the self defrost mode is going to be a problem. Comments??

Has anyone heard of Invertek? Is it a reliable brand. I don't see a lot of places carrying them so it makes me wonder.

I was thinking of a 3KW inverter Invertek DAI-3000L-12-1-A. It's a pure sine inverter and it's $772 from Infinigi.com. Seems too good to be true.... maybe it's mobile only??

All input is wanted!!

Kim

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Invertek inverter

never hear of it. What's it surge rateing , to start the compressor?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

1 kW fridge? 1 kW over what period of time?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    never hear of it. What's it surge rateing , to start the compressor?

IMHO, never rely on the surge rating of an inverter for anything.
    I'm also fairly sure that no 1kW inverter will start any 1kW AC induction motor (weird way of rating a 'frige?)
    Start-up currents are usually 3-5 times run currents, and in a compressor application its always on the high side. Nor can you rely on HP rating as an accurate indicator of current demand.

Chances are also that this inverter is a MSW, which is more bad news for motors.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. It's not my nickel! :p
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

Strange considering my new fridges pull 240 volt, 37 watts and 40 watts.

Must be one hell of a fridge!
  • RWB
    RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the Xantrex SW True Sine Wave inverter, they are really affordable and they work great. You can get 120v and 240V versions in 1000W, 1400W, and 2000W.

I have a 1250W modsine inverter that runs my fridge just fine but if would use a Pure Sine if I was going to do it full time.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/299/p/1/pt/5/product.asp

The 1000W 240V inverter should be around $300
  • momofgcm

Sorry about the lack of info....I should have said it's rating as 940w/day (based on its energy star rating).

Unfortunately, whirlpool won't tell me what the typical current draw is for running, defrost, or surge start - they said they can't give out too much info to the consumer because they don't want us doing inappropriate things with the fridge - I thought, you've got to be KIDDING me!!

Consequently, all I have is the energy use/day.

It is a 120V fridge and it's rated current is 15A. The ESR is 343.

I saw a couple threads on peoples electrical use from their fridges.

It will be run full time so I was looking for a true sinewave inverter. I don't want to spend more than $750.

Suggestions?

Kim
  • RWB

Read my last post.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

1,200 watt inverter would probably be the floor for running your fridge (and to run a few lights, try 1,500 watt).

For measuring your average power and kWhrs per day--You really need to get a Kill-a-Watt meter of some sort... It will not measure the "real" peak current (need a DVM setup to to that)--But in any case, even if you know the peak current--different brands/models of inverters with the same ratings will behave differently to the surge.

You should probably ask your retailer for a recommendation based on what they sell--If they don't know or you don't trust them, find another source.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • momofgcm

My problem is I don't have the fridge but am ordering it. It will be be shipped to Africa in april. I will order and ship the inverter as well.

We will not be able to set everything up here to test it because no one has solar or a battery setup here. I have to rely on specs and info from a knowlegeable group like this!

I was hoping whirlpool would have been more helpful but they were pretty much useless for the info I needed.

I'm sorry to be so pestering but since I don't have a solar system myself (although I'd LOVE too) and I am dependant on others for advice. I'm very thankful for this group.

I was hoping someone knew the energy star rating of their fridge (mine is 343) and could relate their inverter size or usage info relative to their energy star rating.

Kim
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The peak load should be OK with a 1,200-1,500 watt inverter... The average is around:
    • 343 kWH per year / 365 days = 0.94 kWh per day = 940 Watt*Hours per day
    And, that is at 90F (32C)--your numbers may be above or below--My area is cooler and I find that the freezers and such use a bit less power.

If you are into the math--you can use the chart from SunDanzer (PDF Download) and see how a refrigerator or freezer (same cooler, just different temperature settings) affects your power usage--and what ambient does to your usage.

The difference between 20C and 40C is roughly 2.5x the power usage. So--a lot of the power usage will depend on your average temperature where the Refrigerator will be operated.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

momo,

I have a 25cuft side by side kenmore that i have been running on a Gopower TSW inverter for nearly two years 24/7 with no problem. In fact I run the entire house with this medium sized RV inverter. You can get this inverter in 24v or 12v, I have the 24v. When I bought it in July 08 it was $600 now the price has dropped to $500 :grr. I am planning to buy another one as a back up. I got mine from a site called boatandrvaccesories.com. I can swear by the robustness of this inverter.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • momofgcm

Damani,
    That's great info.

What size inverter do you use?? Do you have the model number?

Do you know if it's a mobile or residential inverter?

Kim
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Inverter size is in his sig. line...

e

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dapdan

momo I will do you one better...

http://boatandrvaccessories.com/GP-SW1500-24

It is an RV inverter it works brilliantly.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • momofgcm

Thank You!!

I think that's the one I'm going to get (in 12V though)

While I was price shopping, I saw inverters by Aims. Is it a decent inverter or should I stick with the gopower?

I see remote's for the inverters. Why would I want one?

Kim
  • RWB

This is what you should buy

http://www.jthelectronics.com/product/36296.html

$335 for 2000W of Pure Sine Wave Power.

I tried to break mine and couldn't do it. they are well built and work with everything I have tried it with. You can pull a constant 1800W for hours without the unit shutting down. Its small, Lightweight, and Good Looking.
  • Dapdan

RWB is right. The prowatt sw is a good inverter(so far). I have the 1000w one working 24/7 since last September, in fact I have two of them, the second one is a backup that is still in its box. The go power on the other hand has more features than the prowatt ( you can alter ac voltage and frequency if you wish using dip switches). The gopower seems to be a bit more robust (it weight more than it equal counterpart in the Prowatt sw. All in all I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. However I have had almost two years real world experience with the gopower (with no problems...knock on wood) as opposed to the Prowatt sw which was only released mid of '09.

The AIMS is another story. A friend of mine like my inverter and he was going to get one from the same site that I posted. He instead bought the AIMS as he was attached to it lower price and higher power. To date he has had a number of problems including capacitor on the board leaking and he has not had it half the time that I had had mine when his problems started to occur. From the box it appeared to be a refubished unit and it build quality on inspection was poor. It had, for instance, wing nuts on the input studs to connect battery cables to. It pailed in comparison to the gopower in terms of workmanship. However that may have been that particular inverter since my sample size is not large enough for me to conclude that the workmanship and performance of the AIMS is poor. So the dicision is up to you the above is just my own experiences with AIMS, go power and xantrex prowatt sw.

Cheers...
    Damani

P.S

If I were you I would buy two, a go power and a prowatt, at that price it maybe useful to have a backup ready to go in case the worst happens and since you are export this to Africa it maybe a good idea since the store isnt around the corner!
  • RWB

Yea you can buy 2 of the Xantrex SW Pure Sine Wave Inverters almost for the price of the GoPower. I had the 2000w Xantres SW running my fridge for days after we lost power here and it works just like the regular house outlet. I run 1800W Hair dryers on it that constantly cycle on and off from 50W to 1800W and the inverter takes it with zero problems.

I have 6 Different AIMS inverters and I have never had a problem with any of them so far. They have the highest surge ratings out there usually. The Xantrex SW has a better over all design and look vs the AIMS Inverters.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    momofgcm wrote: »
    Thank You!!

I think that's the one I'm going to get (in 12V though)

While I was price shopping, I saw inverters by Aims. Is it a decent inverter or should I stick with the gopower?

I see remote's for the inverters. Why would I want one?

Kim

AIMS inverter: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=5494&highlight=worst+inverter

Ought to be banned.
  • LeighC
    LeighC Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

Hi Kim
    I bought the Invertek 1500W combi 3 in 1 pure sine wave inverter 4 years ogo & am very pleased with it. It is fully programable as well. It also is a 50 amp batt.charger, UPS & 30 amp solar reg. It has a remote control & batt temp. & voltage sensing. They are made by Rich electric in Taiwan who make industrial AC motor speed controllers.
    Sterling in England have a lot to say about them on their website with very good ratings. They are rebadged by many companies around the world.

Hope this helps
    Leigh
    Australia