44v Solar into Morningstar PS-30M

rschoolf
rschoolf Registered Users Posts: 8
I have a Morningstar PS-30M Controller that outputs to my 12v 230Ah flooded deep-cycle battery pair (115a, wired in parallel).

I bought 2 170 watt panels rated at 44v 4.9 amps each, which I plan to wire in parallel into the controller.

I could not find specs for "max PV voltage" for the Morningstar PS-30M Controller.

Before I power this system up, do you think that the 44v 10a into the Morningstar PS-30M Controller will be acceptable? Will it "work", or will it smoke?

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: 44v Solar into Morningstar PS-30M

For some reason Morningstar does not spec the max Voc into the ProStar controllers - I guess because they assume that a 12 or 24 volt panel will be used.

I vaguely recall that it is 50 volts, but I would not guarantee that to be correct.

However, even if it works, you will lose 60% or more of the power that the panels are putting out. :blush:

Best case with an MPPT controller = around 14 amps per panel. Best case with the PS30 = around 4.8 amps per panel.
  • rschoolf

Thanks so much for the word. After I posted, I found a good write-up on your information site. Many thanks in advance.

So, I'm looking at purchasing an MPPT controller. Can anyone chime in with suggestions and recommendations for brand and model?

The application is off-grid powering of a home office. I have two panels - a 44v 180 watt, and a 44v 170 watt. My load is 130 watts AC max, 1800 watts per day. I have 230 ah of flooded batteries. I have a Morningstar SureSine 300 watt inverter.

I'm looking for an MPPT controller that can handle the 350 watts (and maybe handle some more watts, considering possible future expansion), while not setting me back a lot. What would you recommend?

Also, would you recommend wiring the panels in series or parallel (88v or 44v)? My panel - controller wire run is 25 feet.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll assume the battery voltage is 12v because of the suresine?

Rogue makes a nice mid-price one, but if you want lots of internet monitoring bells & whistles, Morningstar makes a Tristar MPPT 45 & 60A version, with internet interfaces.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rschoolf

Yes - 12v battery.

The Rouge looks real nice - it's in my desired price range - but 36v panels are the maximum it can handle (recommended), 12v - 24v nominal. It *might* work for a 44v panel, but the docs state that panels can max out way over their rated voltage max. Example is they say a 36v panel can put out 60 voc.

I might need something a little better - what do you think?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the voltage puts you into the 45/60/80A range of charge controllers. I'd suggest the morningstar, 'cause I like the web and recording features.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Double check the specifications--I believe only the TriStar MPPT 60 amp supports the native web interface... The 45 amp version does not.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

If you go to morningstar site they have a nice string chart. Depends if you are doing 12v 0r 24 v. I am thinking that your 2 panels might work at 24 v. But since you didn,t give the model no. and brand I couldn,t check the string chart. A sunsaver mppt can connect to 400 watt up to 75 v for a 24 v system. S:Dlarvic
  • rschoolf

Thanks, everyone for your replies on this subject.

The panels I bought were AmeriSolar 180 W panels, rated at 44 V a piece.

I decided to put in an order with Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, for a MorningStar TriStar 45 MPPT controller, a length of 10 gauge wire, and some MP4 connectors.

So, if anyone is interested I have a Morningstar Prostar PS-30M Charge Controller for sale. This is the model that has the volt and amp meter on it. You can check out these specifications, and let me know via e-mail or PM if you want to pick up this controller for less than retail, shipping included.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/pro-star