grid-tie --sortOf--

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I want to design my solar system to come online when solar is available
and then at night when not available, to simply fallback on grid power..
i am trying to find an inverter that can be programmed to function in this mode..
we have quite a good sized solar array-- 12 200w panels..
and have 3 rogue 3024 charge controllers and a small marine battery bank..
12 marine batteries.. not looking to store alot of power in the battery bank, just want to run tvs, appliances, etc during the day on solar to trim the utility bill--
can anyone suggest an inverter? we probably need 3000- 5000w ..
thanks for any help--

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: grid-tie --sortOf--

Xantrex XW-4024 would be my choice
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't have many utility outages, I'd suggest a straight Grid Tie scheme, and avoid the losses of all the stages in a battery system. Xantrex GT4.0 When the sun shines, it unwinds your power meter. no batteries, just wash the dust off panels once in a while.

Or as SolarGuppy suggested, the XW series.

The forum host stocks/supplies both
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I looked at the XW 4024.. looks real nice--i think that might be the one--
    i dont want to 'sell' back to the grid.. just my personal choice--
    want to keep my solar system simple-- just use the juice when available
    and then fall back to grid power-- hopefully this will lower our electric bill--
    thanks for the help-- we surely appreciate it
    --
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont want to 'sell' back to the grid..

Then undersize the solar and consume it before it gets to the grid.

want to keep my solar system simple-

Grid tie = simple
    Transfer switch & Island & XW4024 & batteries & charger gets really messy, really quick.

You are planning on 12, 12V batteries, 6 parallel strings of 2 ?

better read up about : Connecting on the "diagonal" : http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
    Has sketches and text that explains why.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2

thanks for all the help-- that was a good article on battery connecting..
    we have 24v system..i have the batteries wired diagonally--

the xw 4024 appears to be the only 24v inverter that will function in
    grid support mode..does anybody know of any others i might look at b4
    buying-- thanks again to all--
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

for a single inverter to provide the power i would agree on the xw line. be aware that the 4024 will not be rated for 5kw continuous duty. if you will need more than 4kw then paralleling another 4025 or go with one of the other xw inverters with possibly going with a 48v battery bank. if the 5kw is only a brief surge then the 4024 may do fine.
  • wtwoods_az
    wtwoods_az Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi Mike. It appears that you prefer to run something similar to my own system. I have an XW based electronics rack coupled to 3KW Evergreens on trackers. I am happy with the results so far. I have not gone thru an Arizona summer yet which will be my shakedown cruise. I found that most of the common loads in my home are low to moderate power draw. Still in the process of deciding all of the loads I want to wire to Grid Support. I also plan on selling zero power back to the utility, it is in fact disabled on my unit. I originally thought that I would not try to power AC at night to keep the battery back small, but so far, even that seems doable hence I am mow considering a second 48V bank. TOU power ROI may make that a no-win. We'll see. Shoot me back if you have any questions about my system....
  • System2

thanks for the info..i chose to go 24v system rather than 48, knowing the
    efficiency benefits of 48, but for various other reasons i wont waste time explaining, we decided on 24v..

very pleased with the rogue 3024 solar mppt chargers.. we have 3.. each
    controls 4 200w panels and really does a killer job..very efficient--run warm at
    worst case and not even a fan.. very well designed..the solar boost is very good also..

i can see it would simplify things to just go with selling to the grid, and no need to have a secondary breaker box for all the grid support circuits..
    here again i have chosen probably the less traveled path again..
    we prefer not to have to go thru all the hassles of getting the required permits/
    verification for islanding/selling to local power company..

i think we will end up buying the xw 4024, but i want to revue any and all similar
    inverters and make my choice after alot of review..