Manufacturing fault?

Options
higgins
higgins Solar Expert Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭
Just got 2 new 80 watt panels off Ebay,one of them has a felt tip circle
around a part of the panel and on close inspection i can see a blob of solder,although it does not appear to bridge the next solder line,just wondering if anyone has had any thing like this and would it give me any problems in future,pics here;
Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
Higgins:blush:

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Manufacturing fault?

Looks like a factory reject. Will likely work, till that cell cracks from the stress of the lump. Was the seller up front about them being rejects? More than a "blem", this will eventually fail at that point.

Look for where the mark was cleaned off the other panel too. Or maybe output is not per the label.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• higgins
    Options

Was described as 'New' condition,i have emailed the seller for his explanation,but since it's Ebay have heard disputes are difficult to sort out,will give him some time
    to get back to me,i have tested the panel it seems to be working ok,will have a closer look at the other panel,
    Higgins
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

If the blob is "flat"--then there would be no pressure between the glass and the cell... If the blob is "round" and/or above the solder/copper paths--then you may have a point source of pressure that could cause the cell to fracture (not a good thing).

Panel was returned for cause or factory reject.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • higgins
    Options

Are there any tests i can do to determine short cicrcuits or normal operation as you do when receiving a new panel,the only test i know of is measuring it's voltage when exposed to direct sunlight then turn it away from the source of sunlight to watch the voltage rise and fall?Have looked at the panel again,the blob looks like a flat splash it does not go over any other tracks,it actually looks much bigger in the picture,i will take some pics over next few days to give a sense of scale.One other thing looks odd,the flux lines that join all cells together look like they end on some cells,but because there are a lot of them i assume it is 'normal' and it is just an appearance deceiving my eye,i hope these are not another fault,but then i have had 17volt+ when testing near a window with some sun coming through?Sorry for asking too many questions,it's the way i am as i go along,
    Higgins.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

That speck will make absolutely no difference in measurable power reduction ..
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Other simple test is to set your meter to 10 amp current scale and connect to the panel... The amount of current will be proportional to the power of the sunlight. Near Isc will be "full sun".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset