Cost of Solar V Grid,is it worth it?

Options
higgins
higgins Solar Expert Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭
Just wondering if all the expense of solar equipment is actually worth it?It's still cheaper in the meantime ,i know it could go up,what are peoples observations,experiences,opinions, etc;?Will Solar become worth the investment,what is the long term picture?
Higgins:D

Comments

• tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Cost of Solar V Grid,is it worth it?
    higgins wrote: »
    Just wondering if all the expense of solar equipment is actually worth it?It's still cheaper in the meantime ,i know it could go up,what are peoples observations,experiences,opinions, etc;?Will Solar become worth the investment,what is the long term picture?
    Higgins:D

If the payback period is less than the life expectancy of the system, it's mostly worth it. You just have to calculate the total return and the present value of the future returns. If the present value calculation is less than the cost, it isn't worth it. But if the present value calculation is higher, and has a competitive rate of return, treat it like any other investment and go buy yourself some.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Like they say in real estate, it's all about location, location, location.

You have to find out from your local utility what their policies are on grid-tie regarding specs and payment, then way that against the cost of an install in your area.
    Some places on Earth give you a financial incentive to off-set the capital costs, some places don't.

If you live in British Columbia, Canada like me, you're out of luck. The equipment costs are outrageous, there's no incentive program, and BC Hydro sells electricity for ~ $0.10/kW/hr. Grid-tie productions costs are typically around $0.50/kW/hr over the expected lifespan of the equipment and off grid tends to run closer to $1.00/kW/hr.

But averages aren't everything. California, Florida, Arizona ... all good places to consider adding solar. Mind you, government policies change like the wind too. So get the details for where you live from your utility.
  • trkarl
    trkarl Solar Expert Posts: 33
    Options

Every time the power goes out in my neighborhood, which is several times a year, and I don't even know it for a while makes it worth it. ;)

It all depends on how you look at it. Strictly grid vs solar cost per kwh solar most likely costs more at this time. Even with the rebates in a lot of areas.

As an interest and hobby? This one pays you back over time. For instance I am into astronomy and have a 20" dob telescope and have spent around 15k on that hobby but it will never do anything besides provide enjoyment.

Satisfaction that you can be power independent? This means a lot to me because I have a sort of apocalyptic view of the world right now especially with peak oil and our infrastructure crumbling in a bankrupt economy.

Investment? When inflation really kicks in you will have prepaid for your energy at today's price. Otherwise you are at the whim of utility prices and the taxes on them.

All this is JMHO though.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the key phrase here is "worth it".

I live off grid, and I have found the added knowledge of costs of flipping a light switch, staring into your refridgerator, running your AC round the clock is huge and something you don't learn until you live off grid, I doubt even as a grid connected, or even super conservating individual you get the same learning experience.

While I save more with conservation, my unique situation of high user fees ($25 berfore you buy any electric!) make an off grid, home installed system have a payoff of between 12 and 16 years with my tiny use of electric. At some point I'll start a thread on these "user" or "line" fees. I have the feeling that they are going up, perhaps to discourage grid tied systems.

Then there is the day the US repudiates the debt(or just runs the printing press to pay debt) and we have runaway inflation and no place to borrow money, throwing the country into spiraling inflation...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

As the others said, depends on what your measuring stick is.

Financially? No, my system will never be "worth it" dollar-per-watt. I've recalculated a few different times as I've upgraded / changed things around, and I'm still sitting at about 67 years to payback - *IF* absolutely nothing goes wrong. Somehow I doubt the batteries will last that long... :p

There is no way I'd go strictly grid-tied here. Our grid costs are so low there's just no incentive. In fact, you'd have to put in a fairly large system just to break even with the fee they tack on to go net-metering.

However, from a security/comfort POV as well as a hobby POV it has been *very* much worthwhile. I've learned a huge amount on a variety of topics (including a few I'd just as soon not have to mess with - like NEC codes and such! :roll: ) and now know that should another ice storm come along I'll have lights, unspoiled food, network connectivity (as long as the ISP can keep their end of things up!) and my ham rigs. All without having to drag a generator outside and keep it running 24x7.

I also have a much greater respect for just how much power I get for a measly 10 cents/kWh. It takes a substantial amount of infrastructure to generate and store that kWh, but most people are never aware of just how difficult it would be to power their own home should they need to. Early last year I took a more proactive stance and recorded my daily kWh usage every morning for several months. When I first started I was using about 21kWh/day! That was with NO furnace / AC usage! By the end of my "test cycle" I had reduced it to a regular 12kWh/day, and one week even managed to keep it to 7kWh/day.

Still way over what true off-gridders use, but I was pleased. Now that spring is getting near, I may do that again to see how I'm doing a year on. I've replaced some of my higher-power items with more efficient gear in that time.

So in the end, the solar system has most definitely been worth it to me! :cool:
  • rrroae
    rrroae Solar Expert Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Options

Depends.

Our situation is unique because we have 2 gas wells on our property that give us free gas and a gravity spring for water. The cost to electricity to our home when we first moved here would have cost $8,500. Our 360watt pv/880amphr system cost us about $4500 which we ran on for 5 years before upgrading recently.

Although we're not the norm, I know 4 other people in my rural area who have similar setups so for us, it was worth the cost.
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

Again, Worth is the key word. I'm off grid. The power company wanted $37,000+ to string a wire less than 1/2 mile. If it had been $37,000 period then, maybe I would have done it. It was the (+) that scared be. They just wouldn't define the (+). $30,000 later I had an off grid system and lights. The moment I flipped the first switch, my system had paid for itself!

My friends hate to tell me they had an outage! I just gloated and say "no outage at my place", Priceless! Per watt, my electricity costs about three time what grid power does but; clean, reliable and continuous power is worth it.

PS. the grid here has an outage at least once a week, summer and winter. Power company ran 60,000 volts through the secondary two years ago and tried to burn my partners house down!

IMHO A grid tied system is a very responsible thing to do, if you can afford it. Grid tied with battery back up is prudent.
  • higgins
    higgins Solar Expert Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

it seems to me that if your not on the grid system then it's worth it in terms of getting power,but is the cost actually 'worth it'.
    Higgins
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

ok, check with your power company, check state & federal rebates, compute the payback. Will your money earn more elsewhere?

Only YOU can decide if it is "worth it". Most of us thought so...