SunPower Cells & Panels

RWB
RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey do you guys know any places selling Solar Panels using Sunpower 21% Efficient Cells? I have found very few and figured you guys might know something I didn't....

Comments

• newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: SunPower Cells & Panels

From Sunpower and you have to be a dealer and last time I asked they weren't taking new dealers.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

by extrapolation i guess that will mean for you to call sunpower for a list of dealers to contact.
  • RWB

Just curious if anybody was making any lightweight or small Sunpower Panels that would be comparable to ours. I have not found anybody else out there personally.

Here is 3 110W 21% Efficient Foldable Solar panels. I made them in all black to match our all black LFP100 System.
  • niel

nice, but i don't think you'll sell too many at those prices to the general public.
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    RWB wrote: »
    Here is 3 110W 21% Efficient Foldable Solar panels. I made them in all black to match our all black LFP100 System.

How much were the cells? Was there minimum order requirement from Sunpower? Are the cells flexible? Can you take a picture of your panel producing power measured by Watt meter?
  • RWB

I can not disclose the pricing info but I know you can buy cases of 200 cells and that might be the minimum order quantity, not sure really we always buy 200 or more. They are not flexible.

Attaced are graphs from this winter with the SunsaverMPPT logging the output on the 110w panel during winter in Indianapolis IN.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I am a SunPower Premier dealer in Flagstaff, and the only way that I can get Sunpower panels is with a complete system. Sunpower's business model is "total package with customer service". Dealers are required to be able to design, install and service the systems. They won't sell us panels to retail here at the shop. This business model is not for the self-installer/engineer home owner, but for the people who want a system that works and has a ton of features and super warranty without the hassles of piecing it together from multiple sources and dealing with contractors, city permits and utility inspections.
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    I am a SunPower Premier dealer in Flagstaff, and the only way that I can get Sunpower panels is with a complete system. Sunpower's business model is "total package with customer service".

Apropos of "total package with customer service" ...

I've spoken with SunPower dealers and some of them would prefer a more open business model, particularly when it comes to the monitoring hardware / system SunPower provides.

My goal, of course, is to break the model open so that customers aren't stuck with the monitoring product SunPower provides on account of a lot of people seem to hate it ;)
  • sunny20kin2010
    sunny20kin2010 Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey everybody john here
    So I just put a 20.6k system on my shop which is 100ft from my house where my router for computer is. The only thing left for installers to do is to hook up the monitoring system you're talking about. There are 4 5000watt inverters in the shop. A signal booster has been sugested. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I'm waiting for electric co. to change out my meter.
    Thanks
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of signal booster? Wi-Fi? Ethernet repeater? RS232, RS488?

What brnad of inverters, and how do they monitor?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• sunny20kin2010

So they turned on my system this afternoon. Pouring rain still generated 18kwh on the meter. The wireless monitor system wont reach the router so we have to run an ethernet cable, does that sound kosher to you.:confused::confused::confused:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Wireless systems can be iffy (so many variables, whose equipment, nearby wireless sites, your equipment, local interference, etc.)... A hardwired Ethernet cable--if you can justify it, is probably the desired way to connect.

Regarding rain--I have seen dark days where I gather barely 1% of my output (les than 1kWHr per day--deep dark winter clouds)... And a fairly rainy day like today where I generated 8kWH from a 3.5 kW array (peak for this time of year so far was 14 kWH per day).

Many Solar RE equipment manufacturers seem to estimate 5-10% high on KWHours generated (at least on the battery charge controller side--what customer is ever unhappy that their system "performed better than specifications").

I don't know about yours.

Some Utilities require a billing meter on the solar GT output--and that should be better than 2% accurate.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

İn my last house wireless was a big nuisance. When we built this one there is Cat 5E running everywhere with spares to facilitate future things. All the security system is cabled.

Even the weather station İ bought was the cable version!

Wireless is OK if you have no choice but

Here, the houses are concrete so additions later is a bit difficult - that is the reason for extra cables.
  • niel
    So they turned on my system this afternoon. Pouring rain still generated 18kwh on the meter. The wireless monitor system wont reach the router so we have to run an ethernet cable, does that sound kosher to you.:confused::confused::confused:

nothing wrong with ethernet cable, but in runs that long it can cost you. i bought a box of cat5 and a crimp tool and make up my own. it has already paid for itself and any more that i make is like free.
  • sunny20kin2010

I didn't give much thought to outside interference,definitely going to run wire from shop to house! Thanks for all the input!Today is the first good sun day can't wait to read the meter

John