Help!

CaptTurbo
CaptTurbo Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone. My first post here though I have been reading. What a wonderfully helpful group you are! I'm hoping that you all can help me as well.

I have been excitedly anticipating the installation of my 10.120kw solar system which I purchased from (I'll leave out their name for now) a company in CA. The sale of this system was predicated on having their installer do the installation. This outfit only has one installer for the whole state of Florida.

The project installation is running behind schedule due to several delays starting with them being slow getting the order together and the availability of the Unirac Rails. Bad weather may have caused some delays as well. They finally arrived two weeks ago but the order was messed up and ten of the 17' rails needed to be 20' so I waited some more for the right ones to be sent. OK, I now have the right stuff and the installer was supposed to drive down from Jacksonville to my home in Ft. Myers today to begin the install.

I got a call from him last night to confirm all was ready to go. I reminded him at that time to make sure they had the permits with them that they had been assuring me for the last month or so that they would pull for the job. It turns out that they have not been pulled.

He told me that his electrician was supposed to have taken care of it but had not. He then said that the electrician says that he would pull the permit when he got down here. That doesn't seem right to me that the panel installation could begin before the electrician would show up (several days later) with a permit.

I don't know how these things are done since I'm very new in the area of solar power installs. I purchased this system on December seventh and had hoped to have system up and running by now but instead I have pallets of expensive equipment ruining my back yard.

Does anyone know of a decent, reputable installer in SW Florida that would be willing to do this job for me? I tried to find a message board on this subject that was for my home state but have not been able to and after spending several days and countles hours reading posts on this site I decided to write about my situation here.

This started out to be an exciting and happy project for me but has suddenly become a terrible source of stress. I believe the system I bought was / is a very good one as far as components go but I've hit this unexpected snag which I must deal with now to see it through.

I look forward to any thoughts or connections that you might help me make to get things back on track. I'll be happy to post details about this system as well in subsequent posts if you like as this post is rambling on too long.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Help!

What was the reason, for using an out-of-state vendor/installer ? Better price?
    What's been paid so far ? materials only? entire contract?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• CaptTurbo

Thanks for the reply. The reason I went with the outfit that I did was that I felt that they were selling only top quality equipment and seeing as I was a know-nothing newbie, I thought it was the smartest way to go. Pricing was also very good when comparing to what was locally available.

Only the equipment has been paid for. That was paid in full Dec. 7-'09. No money has been spent on the labor yet.

Update: The electrician just called me and told me that only the elctrician could pull the permit and that he had to do it in person here locally. He sad that he can't come down here until a week from Monday and would take care of it.

He asked me some questions about whether I would feel comfortable signing a waiver concerning roof damage concerning making the penatrations. I told him that I would not sign any such waiver and he seemed to let it drop.

So, maybe the project is back on track but with yet another delay. I need to stock up on anti-acids.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr Solar Guppy is a Fl resident, I'm a Californian, so i don't know how permits are handled in Fl. there are some locals in Fl that may be able to advise you.
    Roof waiver - forget it. They (solar company) know that they have to punch a bunch of holes. But, if you are 10 years into a 15 year roof, and some shingles are showing damage, you may need to re-roof, and co-ordinate it with the solar, and get both done right.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• CaptTurbo

If there is one smart thing that I have done up to this point, that would be it. I was in the 14th year of a 30 year high texture shingle roof so I had a new 5V Galvalume metal roof installed just to do this project. The new roof has a 30 year warrenty so I certainly don't want to sign anything that might void it.

The roofing company knew from the start that the roof job was in preparation of the solar project. I just want the job done correctly to the highest standards and not be dealing with leaks down the road after having spent $69,000.00+ for the new roof, solar equipment, and install costs.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

You may have some issues getting the permits, its more than just an electrical, your roof mounting so a detailed drawing and calculation for both roof and wind load have to be done and signed of by a PE ( Licensed Engineer )

Also, are you applying for the Florida rebate program, it has its own list of requirements for both the installer and electrician if he is not the installer

10kw is a big system ... does you power company have net metering for gridtie solar? in Florida all the law requires is that they have to buy your solar generated energy, but at the utility's choice, they can put in a dedicated meter and you only get paid the wholesale value and over 10kw can be a tripping point for many utilities

A really good and honest company here in Tampa is www.solarsource.net , Wayne Wallace is the owner and I know him personally, great guy. I Strongly suggest you contact them and see if they can take over the installation, they do this full time ( solar PV )
  • CaptTurbo

The electrician asked me on the phone if I had a site plan or a survey. I told him I didn't even know what a site plan was but of course surveys had been done back in '87 when I bought the place. He said that he would secure the required permits.

As far as the rebate program, this installation company meets their requirements but from what I hear the money is not available and the waiting list backlogue is immense. Therefore, I'm not holding my breath waiting for any refunds.

My power provider is FPL and they do allow net metering. I wish I knew for sure but it looks like the kind of meter I have can spin backwards so I don't think I will need to deal with a new or different meter.

Though my system is actually a 10.120kw in size, I doubt that in actual production it would generate as much as 10kw. I might well be wrong though and people like you would certainly have a better grasp on this point. My panels will be facing SE so there will be less then optimol output. How much? I don't know.

Also, 34 panels will be directed to a SB5000 and a PVP2500 inverters while a string of 10 panels will be directed to a Xantrex XW charge controller which will be managing a bank of 8 T-105 Trojan 225ah batteries. I would think that this will also keep the output under 10kw. Am I thinking correctly?

Edit: I just got off the phone with that company in Tampa. They will be calling me back shortly to see what we can work out. Thank you for the link.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Make sure you have some sort of pre-approval by the power company for your proposed installation (in my area, there is survey form to fill out to apply for connection--and they will approve the "slot" assuming you meet building codes).

The difference between net metering (turning meter backwards) and being paid wholsale amount for power is typically a 2:1 ratio ($0.12 per kWhr buy, $0.06 per kWhr sell). If they have a 10 kW limit for net metering (California has a whole bunch of rule changes at the 10kW level--but in our case--it is not the STC/panel name plate rating, but the PTC/derated by ~0.78 system rating).

Be real careful choosing your installer--A good installer can make the installation pretty simple. One that is learning the rules in your area--can be a lot of frustration.

Also, remember many installers make money on selling you the equipment (markup). To hire an un-related installer may increase your direct costs (he may not be responsible for debugging equipment/installation/warranty repairs without an additional charges).

Get the second quote and talk with both of them to set your level of confidence. Also get a couple references of local installs and perhaps check with your local permitting agency/contractor licensing board/workman's comp./insurance carrier that they are in good standing.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy

So what are the batterys connected too?

Florida is not required to net meter, what is on the house now is meaningless, the power company when the approve your installation will change that or have a second meter installed to do whole sale pricing, which some of the big company's do

You have a pair of GT inverters ( the PVP2500, PV powered is a probably the worst inverter to pick ) , Sunnyboy is good.

I strongly recommend to STOP all contractors as once they start and you say oh, I'm going with someone else, you on the hook for the whole contract value

Nothing should have been ordered with out a complete plan and a sign off from building department and the utility or at least a clear understanding on what is required.

From your description you have possible real serious issues with the equipment you ordered, for example who did the string calculations to know how many panels for each inverter?

I know this is strongly worded, but if you are ever to listen to some advise, do this, STOP EVERYTHING NOW and figure out, what you need, who will do the work and get it in writing before you spend another penny

If your Jacksonville installer has started work, he needs to stop, I'm very afraid you may have started something that could cost you tens of thousands of dollars and end up in a bigger mess than you are in now. I know solarsource personally, while I don't know what they charge, they are professionals and can finish the system, which it sounds like the Jacksonville installers isn't even following required procedures on the permit process

The real shame is you could have gotten all this from Miami for probably one third less or more than you paid ... well your here now .. hopefully we can steer you in the direction to at least get what you have now permitted and installed .. you have allot ahead of you ...
  • CaptTurbo

The way I understand it is that net metering for me will simply push excess power back into the grid which will act as credits for power that I consume later. If my system does in fact produce more power in a given month then I use, the credits are carried forward to the next month. This continues to the end of the year where FPL will pay me for the excess power at the cost avoided rate.

I agree on the tip about being careful about selecting an installer. I have called the company that Solar Guppy so kindly listed for me and hope to hear back from them later today to work out an idea of what their charges would be. They have a 25 year track record which sounds good to me and although I'm new to this site I have read enough to know that Solar Guppy is highly regarded and feel like I would be foolish to disregard his advice.

I'm expecting whichever installer I use to have the experience and to know the ropes about getting the proper permitting and I will hold them to it. I'm confident that Solar Source will know how to approach my installation from start to finish. I just hope that I can afford their job quote.

I guess it would not be a bad idea to call FPL and explain to them what I'm trying to accomplish to make sure that there are no problems to deal with once the install is complete and the turn on day arrives. Seems like that day will never come after all the delays I've seen to this point. Gotta keep the faith though.

My thanks to each of you for your advice and comments.
  • BB.

In my humble opinion--A phone call is worth $0.10 whereas in writing is worth your installation.

You are probably better off dealing with a professional installer to work with the utility--rather than doing it yourself (nothing like somebody at the utility flagging your address for further scrutiny based on some innocent questions/conversation as you are looking for answers).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy

http://www.fpl.com/residential/savings/net_metering_faq.shtml

http://www.fpl.com/residential/savings/small_photovoltaic_systems.shtml?id=alias

So what is going to be connected to the XW charge controller?

You mentioned 10 panels, that an odd number for a low voltage charge controller

What is your battery Bank Voltage

What loads are going to be connected to the battery?

I also don't understand you saying, "the installer I select", haven't you already told one to go get permits? thats a big deal as its pulled in your city/town, not in Jacksonville. Don't you have a signed contract already?

Oh, one last thought, did you inspected all the panels and equipment for damage ?
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Was wondering why you bought 2 different brand of inverters on a new install. I had to use 2 inverters since I had 2 different brands of solar panels with different specs. I had bought some pieces at a time like Johny cash. The first batch of solar panels became obsolete so I bought the second bunch as another brand. Still could use a couple more of that kind but they went obsolete. At least I got 2 inverters of the same brand and have an inside the house monitor. SOLAR GUPPY
    I have 2 fronius inverters. Are they a good brand? Solar Vic:D
  • CaptTurbo
    So what are the batterys connected too?

Florida is not required to net meter, what is on the house now is meaningless, the power company when the approve your installation will change that or have a second meter installed to do whole sale pricing, which some of the big company's do

You have a pair of GT inverters ( the PVP2500, PV powered is a probably the worst inverter to pick ) , Sunnyboy is good.

I strongly recommend to STOP all contractors as once they start and you say oh, I'm going with someone else, you on the hook for the whole contract value

Nothing should have been ordered with out a complete plan and a sign off from building department and the utility or at least a clear understanding on what is required.

From your description you have possible real serious issues with the equipment you ordered, for example who did the string calculations to know how many panels for each inverter?

I know this is strongly worded, but if you are ever to listen to some advise, do this, STOP EVERYTHING NOW and figure out, what you need, who will do the work and get it in writing before you spend another penny

If your Jacksonville installer has started work, he needs to stop, I'm very afraid you may have started something that could cost you tens of thousands of dollars and end up in a bigger mess than you are in now. I know solarsource personally, while I don't know what they charge, they are professionals and can finish the system, which it sounds like the Jacksonville installers isn't even following required procedures on the permit process

The real shame is you could have gotten all this from Miami for probably one third less or more than you paid ... well your here now .. hopefully we can steer you in the direction to at least get what you have now permitted and installed .. you have allot ahead of you ...

I certainy feel some extra anxiety now if I wasn't feeling enough before. I don't know if I'm allowed to list the name or link for the company here in this forum but if so I will.

I felt that I was getting the best equipment for the money by going with this CA company. I did get some local quotes for a system and they were not competitive. I didn't know about forums like this one at the time to look to for guidence and I regret that.

The batteries are not conected to anything at this time. They are planned to be a small reserve power supply for storm outages. The other and more accurate reason for them is so that I can use the entire array while disconnected from the grid during outages. Otherwise my GT inverters will simply shut down and leave me without power.

Everything is pretty much stopped for now. I have no written contract with the Jacksonville outfit. If Solar Source and I decide to do this I will have time (between now and Feb 22 which is when the Jacksonville crew would arrive) to call it off.

As I said earlier, I do wish I had found you all before I got so far along. My goal was and remains to have a quality power generating home to protect me from future increases in the cost of power be it from political manuevers or inflation.

I know the reasons might not be important here but maybe there might be some interested in the motivation to invest in something like this. I'm a fishing guide of 30 years and have never seen such a bad economic environment for my industry. I decided to invest these saved dollars in the commodity of electricity now before the buying power gets eroded further by the printing presses / inflation.

After spending a few days here reading about the real costs of electricity, grid verses PV, it seems that the investing angle might not be the best reason to do something like this. However, the peace of mind to know that I will not be completely without power after a Hurricane is comforting. I've been through enough of them now to see value in being somewhat self reliant.

Sorry for jabbering off course here but I don't have much else to do while I wait for Solar Source to call back.
  • BB.

Regarding what to do with the contractors... They may be able to hold you to an oral contract (perhaps using your CA purchase/payment if the installers are somehow connected to the CA group--perhaps to some maximum limit of $X,000).

Probably nothing to to with Solar specifically--just the whole contractor / payment laws for your state. A contractor (at least in California) can easily put a lien (and usually will--which will be lifted when the check clears--and you should get a conformation letter that the lien has been cleared) on your home. Heck--we even had a lien put on our home because a contractor parked in front of our house when they made a delivery across the street to a remodeling project (and confirmed the wrong address).

Not trying to scare you off of using contractor #1--but you need a written and signed agreement with everything spelled out. The contractor--if they are speeding time and money on the pre-permit process--they may have the right to charge you even if you stopped them before they came out.... I don't know--it all depends on your state's laws.

-Bill
  • CaptTurbo
    http://www.fpl.com/residential/savings/net_metering_faq.shtml

http://www.fpl.com/residential/savings/small_photovoltaic_systems.shtml?id=alias

So what is going to be connected to the XW charge controller?

You mentioned 10 panels, that an odd number for a low voltage charge controller

What is your battery Bank Voltage

What loads are going to be connected to the battery?

I also don't understand you saying, "the installer I select", haven't you already told one to go get permits? thats a big deal as its pulled in your city/town, not in Jacksonville. Don't you have a signed contract already?

Oh, one last thought, did you inspected all the panels and equipment for damage ?

The battery bank will be 48 volts. Eight 225 A/H six volt T-105s. The loads would be microwave, TV, lighting, refriderator, and freezers. during power outages.

As I mentioned, there is no signed contract with "Jacksonville" so I'm not bound to any agreement at this time.
  • Solar Guppy

Your missing a key point here CaptTurbo, your battery bank isn't connected to ANYTHING that can power your ac

You have two gridtie inverters that only work when this is grid active. Also, this gets to the panel configuration question you did not answer, you have some panels to each GT inverter and some for the XW-Charge controller. The GT will have strings in the 200-400 volt range the XW charger will be in the 60-80 volt range, so you comment about having the whole array power the battery's leads me to believe you don't understand what you have and what or how it should be configured.

If you want to power anything from the battery bank, an I'll assume your going for 48V, you have to have inverter ( like the XW-6048 ) to run loads

I would suggest you go back to square one and explain in the best detail you can what you have and how you expect this stuff to be configured and connected, I can say 100% certainty what you have won't work as you expect. BB is excellent at providing help in this regard and I'm sure if you get down to exact detail, he and others will start you on the path of building a system
  • CaptTurbo

I'm sorry and you are right, I don't know enough to sound half intelligent. I do have a 48 volt system for the batteries and have the Xantrex XW-MPPT60-150. I'm sorry for not mentioning that but it is only because I don't know much about these things.

I was told that the battery bank would feed a signwave to the GT inverters so they would not see the grid as being down and therefore giving me the use of my array while the sun is shining.

I don't know exactly what the strings will consist of but they were planned out by the company that puts lot of these systems together to sell. I think they are intending only ten panels to go to the XW charge controller. The rest would be split up between the two GT inverters.

Be patient with me and I will try to grasp this stuff and get the right answers to your excellent questions. The 44 panels will all be mounted on two seperate slopes that face the same direction and angle so at least that should be good.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Ok I understand what they have in mind but you are missing a Battery based inverter that is another big expense and there are some real concerns when one is tricking gt inverters to stay online. As far as I know this is not a supported practice and usually is done by people that really understand what is what there are concerns of grossly overcharging the batteries with a miss matched system. I highly recommend you find an installer that knows what he is doing before you toss 60-70 thousand dollars into the wind so to speak.

My recommendations as a Industry Pro would be either use a pair of xantrex XW6048 inverters with 4 XW MPPT charge controllers and a bigger battery bank.

or the second option would be

Keep the Sunny Boy inverter and Get a Sunny Island inverter and associated parts needed to build the whole system with there parts.

What you need to do know is give us a complete list of stuff you have in your possession and be detailed model numbers help and we can help guide you into the right direction with what you have. I am really perplexed by the 2 different brand inverters that just seems like some one had something laying around.
  • trkarl
    trkarl Solar Expert Posts: 33

Hi Capt,

Sorry to hear about your predicament. There will be a real steep learning curve especially since you have all this new equipment without knowing what it does or how it works.

I live in Cape Coral which is not far at all from you. If you would like PM me and I would be more than happy to come over and take a look at what you have and try to get a few things sorted out. That way hopefully you won't be so overwhelmed.
  • CaptTurbo

OK, things are looking up. I pulled enough packing off a heavy piece of equipment that is sitting on a pallet in my living room. It is a Xantrex hybrid inverter / charger.

Does this help make sense of things? It weighs a ton!

Also, Solar Source called me back and will be here on site this coming Tuesday to look it all over and price the job. I explained what I have with him on the phone asking me questions and he understands what this is and has installed these set-ups. I'm feeling a little of the weight lifting. Thank you all for the help you are offering.
  • Solar Guppy

Yes, the Xantrex XW inverter is a good choice

If Wayne is coming to check it out you will be in good hands, if he has any questions on the Xantrex stuff tell him to give me a call

Also, I would take up trkarl offer, he can help you sort through everything and make sure you got what your suppose to have, it also great to have some else thats into PV ... I helped out submarathon3 when he did his system last year in Bartow

My rule is if you help someone, then next time, its there turn to help the next fellow

Good luck!
  • CaptTurbo

I didn't get to talk with Wayne but Brain Baker called me and I liked his tone as we discussed what I bought and what I wanted to do with it. I sure appreciate you hooking me up with them. I wish he could get out here sooner but I feel good that they will come at all seeing as how I bought the equipment elsewhere.
  • CaptTurbo
    trkarl wrote: »
    Hi Capt,

Sorry to hear about your predicament. There will be a real steep learning curve especially since you have all this new equipment without knowing what it does or how it works.

I live in Cape Coral which is not far at all from you. If you would like PM me and I would be more than happy to come over and take a look at what you have and try to get a few things sorted out. That way hopefully you won't be so overwhelmed.

PM sent! Thanks! Visit or call anytime.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

3 months is not that long for install time. Your project is moving along, don't worry too much.
    The issues you mention are common to ANY construction project, not just solar.
    But as the others are saying, by buying your parts from CA, getting them shipped to another state, then having a couple different contractors work on the project, you made the process more complicated.
    Generally, if you are not an expert, you have to hire an expert to get things to turn out right. By bypassing your local dealers to get a better deal, you are taking on the headaches yourself.
    An experienced dealer/installer would have charged you more, and maybe even given you a time of install guarantee, but that would have cost more than buying your parts online, but they would have been on the hook for the mis-ship, etc.
    Its all a big trade off. Since it sounds like the project is moving forward, try not to get upset over a month or two delay, its just the way construction works.
    When the local guy quotes a higher price, its generally going to include a guarantee that all the parts will work together, and the output will be in the range that you need. Anybody that does stuff like solar for a living knows that Murphy lives!
  • CaptTurbo

No contractors have worked on this install yet. No signed contract with anyone. The "new guys" will be here on Tuesday so I can get a feel for them after they look it all over and hear what they have to say. There is no doubt that I wish I had taken more time to get an idea of what this is all about before buying the system but I am where I am.

I now have this forum to read and a good new friend that I just met from this thread who lives near me. He just visited me here today to look things over. Thanks trkarl! This install has several concerns but I will work through them and share them with you all as they come up.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I think you are in good hands Solar Guppy has headed you down the right road. Keep us posted and try to have fun with it.
  • dwaller
    dwaller Registered Users Posts: 18

Any update? It is Tuesday afterall.... :)
  • CaptTurbo

I was waiting until I had a signed contract before updating but ...

Solar Source came out and looked things over. They seemed to be competent and professional.

This job has some twists that most other installs wouldn't be complicated by. The roof has an inch of insulation under the new metal. I need to see how they plan to secure the L feet to the roof without voiding the roof warranty. I'm guessing that they will have to make cut-outs large enough to get the L' down to the truss. How will these huge holes be sealed? I'm not sure that you can boot such an irregular shaped thing as these Ls. It's not like a vent pipe that fits snugly in a boot. Any ideas?

Or, could these L feet be attached to the 5-V metal roof and simpley torqued down with the lag bolt with no problems? That's one of the things I'm wrestling with.

Also, can anyone tell me what the standard warrenty support period is? It looks like they are offering one year. I would feel more comfortable with five or ten but I have no idea of what the standard is for this kind of thing. My roof has a 30 year no leak warranty and I wouldn't want to lose that or turn it into a one year warranty.
  • Solar Guppy

The only people who warranty a roof is roofers, if you want to have a 30 year no leak warranty, you have to have the roofers install the mounts.

The insulation shouldn't be an issue as its no different that how the standing seam is attached, it relies on the area of the metal to distribute the force of the lag or bolts

You absolutely should NOT make and cuts in the standing seam.

I would suggest you have SS do the engineering drawing for the mounts, have it stamped by the PE, get the building permits and pay your roofer to come back and install any needed mounting clips to the roof. The SS will do everything else ...

But this is just a suggestion and you should listen to SS, they do this for a living and I'm sure yours is not the first standing seam they have had to install on.
  • CaptTurbo

Not a standing seam roof. It's a five-V Galvalume roof. What I don't know is how the metal will react to being pulled down by the lag bolts. It will certainly deform as it is crushed but will it remain water tight?