My 865 Watt Solar Project

Options
I’m building 15 x 60 watt solar panels for my small storage shack & garage. I’m thinking about using these solar panels to charge a battery bank which can supply the shack and garage with enough power to last the whole day and night. The power will mainly be used for lights, radio, tv, and a 5000 btu cooler air conditioner for the summer work in the garage.

I found a seller online that’s willing to selling 3x6 solar cells for $0.57/watt if I purchase more than 108 pcs. I’m actually thinking about buying 540 pcs, which comes out to $492.48. It’s a pretty darn good deal because it’s only around $0.91 a piece.

I’ve already placed my orders on the cells, and I’m actually waiting on the cells to arrive. It’s not the 3x6 solar cells on ebay sellers, but actually a lot cheaper than anywhere else online. The seller also sells 5” monocrystalline solar cells and 6” multicrystalline solar cells as well.

I’ll let you guys know further details as soon as I get updates. Look forward for further updates on the thread.

-projectmelano

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: My 865 Watt Solar Project

I see two problems. Long term durability and non-UL panels on an insured structure.

Have you built any panels yet?
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

Lets start out with how many lights @ how many watts for how long?
    How many watts for the radio? how long?
    Ditto on tv

5000 btu airconditioner? Watts for hours?

15 panels @ 60 watts is only 900 watts per hour of GOOD sun. Thats 900 watts input, not usable. There are losses at the charge controler, batteries & Inverter.

Me thinks, 900 watts to little if you want to run all this stuff day & night.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sure you and the other builders of panels really enjoy it, but I can't see it as a cost effect use of time.

That said, I run an A/C in a purpose built cabin that's 10x16 with 6" of insulation in the walls, built in the shade, with tall ceilings. I find it cools off to 72 degrees running a duty cycle of @80-90% in the first hour on an avg 85-90 outside temp and @80 inside. After that it has a duty cycle of @ 60% for an hour or 2 then 40-50% as the thermal mass has cooled off as well. (5300 btu, seer? of 10.7)

I have yet to have a full battery set for this, and have been running on a 220 amh 24volt system off of originally 1000 watt array. I would run the AC in the afternoon for 3 hours or so after the batteries had topped off and then 2-4 hours at night to sleep. I'm in Missouri and am bleesed that mostly the heat and sun come together and often it cools down considerably at night.

Even with this minimal usage I find I often ran the batteries down below 80% state of charge. I live off grid so I do have other draws, a fridge being the largest in the summer. Lights, Radio, MP3 player/stereo, laptop, reasonable fans(O2cool) and TV(first time in 5-7 years though I watch in bits and bunches at work as security guard) shouldn't be much of a problem.

I have since added to my array to @1300 watts(I know I really need more battery storage but hate to toss out good batteries), and ran my AC more during the day and actually less at night. Even with a reasonable battery bank, I will be day to day, on a 1300 watt array! I don't feel I would have reserves for a single hot cloudy day with out cutting back on usage.

Also remember I have built this, just to have an airconditioned space! I literally purchased the lot to have ideal sun exposure, the 3 windows are all thermal pane, the cabin is in the shade, the kithen is in unairconditioned space, even the shingles are white to reflect any sun that makes it through the trees. (OK I regret this one as they are turning green allready)

Just want you to know what kind of challenge you have.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.