45-50 amp 12vdc selector switch?

notsobright
notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭
Im looking for a selector switch thats smaller than your average battery selector switch so that I can direct a 40 amp 12vdc charge current between two isolated batteries. basically a three position switch with one being off, one for going to batt.1, and one for going to batt.2

I could use a normal battery selector switch but I have space constraints and those things are BIG so Im trying to avoid using one.

any know of such a switch? all If found so far is big 1000amp battery selector switches. I havnt been to the usual local outlets yet but havnt turned up anything online yet.

thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: 45-50 amp 12vdc selector switch?

Bigger than you are asking for--but less than $30:

Blue Sea Battery Switch 1-2-OFF 350 Amp
    wind-sun_2089_5340438 Blue Sea 9001e 350 Amp Battery Switch Make-before-break contact design allows switching between battery banks without power interruption Ignition protected - Safe for ... mounting Meets American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) requirements for battery switches 3/8"-16 tin-plated copper studs for maximum ...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • notsobright

I was too quick to post this topic. I searched last night and couldnt find one but tonight I found one right away.

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/6%252d12-Volt-50-Amp-Heavy-Duty-On%252dOff%252dOn-Toggle-Switch.html

Ive got a BlueSea selector, the grey one but that 350a red one is phisically the same size. they are quite large and the housing along with the terminal orientation made me really want to avoid them for anything less than what they are designed for.

but thanks again BB

BTW feel free to delete this topic unless you think it might serve somone else searching down the line.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of marine battery switches in the current range you want at reasonable cost.

Do a search for battery switch, typically on marine applications sites.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

One could also use a smaller switch to drive two contactors. This way the contactors would be closer to source/loads
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

This Blue Sea battery selector/combiner switch is a bit smaller (~2.8" sq) than the "regular" models:

http://bluesea.com/category/4/14/productdocs/6007

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

You find them used in the marine stores. I just bought one , 50 amp rated, vapor tite for ~$14. Works perfectly,

Tony
  • notsobright
    n3qik wrote: »
    One could also use a smaller switch to drive two contactors. This way the contactors would be closer to source/loads

I guess by "contactors" you mean relays. I think that would over complicate this cicuit but good suggestion anyway. if you dont mean realys then what are "contactors"?

I'll look into "vapor tite" switches thanks Icarus
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Yes, one in the same. Different name when the current ratting gets above XX amps.