Wind Towers

a0128958
a0128958 Solar Expert Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
I'm looking at a potential project for a university that's considering new (to me) wind tower technology as offered by MidWest Advanced Power.

What this company is saying is that the wind can be 'amplified' by 1.5 to 1.8X that of what a HAWT experiences, using their wind tower.

As a result, a summary of published advantages includes a 3 MPH blade start turning, up to 60 MPH wind usage, and capacity up to 2500 MWh/yr.

My questions are:

Does anyone have familiarity with this technology, and if so, have comment, or can offer direction to where I can learn more?

Does anyone have familiarity with the company, MidWest Advanced Power (out of Akron, OH)?

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: Wind Towers

"Amplified wind"?

That sounds a bit iffy unless they are just talking about some wind tunneling effect.
  • a0128958
    Windsun wrote: »
    "Amplified wind"?

... talking about some wind tunneling effect.

Indeed it is. Here's a picture:

original.jpg

Best regards,

Bill
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

A normal HAWT with equivalent sq.ft as the "tower" would probably be, at the very least, at least as efficient as that "wind tower"--if not less complex and cheaper to install/maintain.

For the most part, augmented wind collection has been associated with scammers:

From NAWS Link to a Pro Wind site Wind-Works:
    Shrouded & Ducted Wind Turbines

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • a0128958
    BB. wrote: »
    A normal HAWT with equivalent sq.ft as the "tower" would probably be, at the very least, at least as efficient as that "wind tower"--if not less complex and cheaper to install/maintain.

For the most part, augmented wind collection has been associated with scammers:

From NAWS Link to a Pro Wind site Wind-Works:

-Bill

Read them all - many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill
  • a0128958

Strangly, I didn't find any Paul Gipe references on wind-works.org to what I'm learning are called Aerocap systems. Perhaps they're not in the U.S. yet.

I'm also learning that it's a French Company, Windcap Energy, that is producing (or is advertising to produce) a proprietary system called Aerocap Towers (should have been the title of the thread I started here).

And I'm further learning that perhaps this is just concept, and not actual product, as most recent as May of last year ('09) the French company advertising for investors.

Interesting concept, but I don't think it's gotten past the R&D stage yet.

Best regards,

Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ducted Fan props are used on some small planes, but I don't know if it's usefull for generators. At the most, only a couple % gain, certainly less than 10%.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

For comments on the ducted type on Paul Gipe's site look under Shrouded and Ducted Wind turbines and even more specifically - fantasy wind turbines.
  • a0128958

Thanks.

Best regards,

Bill