Another discouraged dreamer

Options
2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Another discouraged dreamer

CFL's, to me, are more efficient as area lamps and LED's better at spot (for the current crop of hardware).

The big question I always hit with cheap white LED's is that their light output tends to crash within a few hundred hours of use (maybe 800-1,000 hours at the outside--defined by "me" as a 50% reduction or more in output--by the way, a 50% reduction of output energy is just perceptible by the human eye--it is not a large amount due to the way our eyes perceive light--which is logarithmically)).

The new LED Lamps (big dies, mounted on heat sinks, Cree and other brands)--I have not been following since they came out to know what the heck their long term life is (better than the 8-10,000 hours of a good CFL./florescent tube?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Another discouraged dreamer

The question was which is more energy efficient of a Lumens per watt basis? LEDs or CFLs. (Not on a lumens per dollar basis!) I have to guess that the LEDs win hands down, but I don't have the facts to back that up.

Tony