Solar Panels under a $1.00 a watt - No more waiting for the future

2»

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: Solar Panels under a $1.00 a watt - No more waiting for the future

You need an MC3 to MC4 adapter http://store.solar-electric.com/adcamamc4tof.html
  • adam1984
    adam1984 Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭

sunelec.com says that they are MC connectors. So they are MC3? Could i buy an MC3 cable cut it in half and wire them directly from the panel to the charge controller? How is sun electronics shipping? How long between your order and it arriving?
  • wild01
    wild01 Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

shipping time was about 4 days, but I paid by check, and that added about 25 days to my order. they held the check for 2 weeks after it had cleared through my account before they shipped.

I had to pay by check in order to ship to a loading dock (cc required billing address be used as shipping address) home delivery would have increased cost by about $200, also they will charge you 3% to use a credit card.

my wiring cost through a local company cost me about $160
    but I went cheap and am just pigtailing into a hardwire system. (this way I'll still be able to remove a panel easily if I have a problem, but I don't have to go overboard on specialized wire connectors.

if you are grid tied you can wire in series and save a lot of wiring cost
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    A pallet of 25 is about 900 pounds, you think shipping that much weight for 300 bucks is expensive?

If you can get them to ship to a terminal where you can make the pickup you can save some money over home delivery. Solarvic
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭
    wild01 wrote: »
    I had to pay by check in order to ship to a loading dock (cc required billing address be used as shipping address) home delivery would have increased cost by about $200, also they will charge you 3% to use a credit card.

I paid by credit card, had mine shipped to a freight terminal for will call, and didn't get dinged an extra 3%. Actually, a company that charges extra for credit card use is violating Visa/Mastercard rules. I ordered mine out of the Phoenix office, so maybe that's the difference.

My panels did get shipped to the wrong freight terminal (about 300 miles away), but Sun forwarded them to the correct terminal at no charge. Overall, the freight cost was very reasonable -- you do save a lot by not having them delivered directly to you. With the shipping snafu, it took about two weeks between point of order and arrival of shipment.

Communication with them was a little hit and miss. A few phone messages and emails left before everything was squared away. But again, that was with the Phoenix office. Miami might operate differently.

Marc
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The way around the 3% Charge Card fees (in California at least) is to offer a "discount" for cash/check/etc.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Bill, my Professional Organization (RPF) tried to apply a 3% surchage for registration fees paid by Visa, and Visa stomped on them saying that it was against the contract we had with them.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

That is correct--the "Majors" have it in your contract that you cannot charge a "service fee"... However, you can offer a discount if paid with other than charge card:
    lllSince 1984, when a Truth in Lending law ban on surcharges expired, some states have enacted laws prohibiting surcharges; see States That Prohibit Credit Card Surcharges.

Visa and MasterCard prohibit surcharges, and American Express discourages them. Amex does prohibit "discrimination" against the Amex card, however, so if a merchant accepts Visa and MasterCard (and cannot impose a surcharge under those companies' rules), the merchant may not discriminate against Amex by imposing a surcharge.
    Note that a cash discount is legal and permitted under all credit card companies rules. A cash discount offers a lower price for cash than credit; for example, many gasoline stations offer cash discounts. While this may merely be a loophole, it is permitted. In addition, there are a few state governmental agencies, including state tax offices and motor vehicle departments, that are permitted to charge surcharges due to state laws that do not permit them to pay discount fees. However, retail merchants may not impose surcharges.
    As always, your mileage may vary by state and locality...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW - They are up to $1.20 per watt, on their web site, but have am Ebay listing for $1.08 a watt until Feb 12th, If you search through Bing.com and pay with paypal currently there is a 10% cash back (may take 2 months). PM me if you would like more specific instructions.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • wild01

well I to dealt with pheonix, don't know why I got the run around and marc didn't, but hey I got my panels, so I guess it doesn't matter
  • wild01

just FYI guys sun has the panels back down at .98 a watt again, but now with a 2 pallet min.