Powering small LED spot light?

Options
I have a LED spot light that was being run by a 12V 5AH lead acid battery. There was a board that both charged the battery and powered the lights through a PT4115 LED driver. Near as I can figure from the sensing resistors, it was supplying 606ma to the light.

The light has 36 large LEDs. There are 12 rows in parallel of 3 LEDs in series. I don't know anything else about the LEDs.

The board has since fried. I though I would resurrect the parts and pieces and build my own solar lighting system.

What us the most efficient off the shelf driver I can use for this light? I would really rather have an off the shelf pre built driver like a buck puck. I don't really want to build up a regulator from the chip level if I can avoid it.

What is the most efficient charge controller for this setup?

Small. efficient and reasonably inexpensive are the keys here.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Powering small LED spot light?

I would take a look at these guys:

Sandwich Shoppe LED Converters

I have never done business with them--but they have been around a reasonable time building parts to modify flashlights to LEDs.

They also have a forum for discussion of their products:

CandelPowerForums: Sandwich Shoppe

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options

How much does one of these cost ? The entire unit.

Might not be worth replacing parts.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

You are probably right but it is a challenge and I get something that works the way I want it to work. :)

How much does one of these cost ? The entire unit.

Might not be worth replacing parts.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options

My wife hates this fact: When I'm bored, I'll find a way to spend her money while she works, and that means having to fix things that are better off replaced than repaired !

Good luck with your adventure and spend a lot of money !
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.