Morningstar

I have just bought a morningstar mppt Tristar 60 -60 Amp Charge Controler.
I would like someone to please tell me if they have any misgiveings about this .
Has anyone tryed this out??

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Morningstar

Mine is still in the box, the PV mount has not arrived yet.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Do you have any specific concerns?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Delta,

I have not run my TS-60's yet. BUT, Morningstar is a very solid company, and the TS-60 has good specs and appears to be well made. It has seemed to be a very good value. It is a back-up CC.

My current system runs at 106 Vmp, so for a back-up application, I would want to rewire some panels for 71ish Vmp. My purpose in buying this CC was in the event of a failure of the OB MX-60 CC would have something to keep the batts charged. [ But the the OB MX has been in service for just over 4 years and still trucks on, even with 160 Vmp and 139 Voc ( nice design boB & Robin !). ]

Am sure that others have real hands-on use. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

From the very little I understand about this unit, I think you are going to be very happy with your TS-60 !

And, Brad and the other MS folks are very nice people too.

boB
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boB wrote: »

And, Brad and the other MS folks are very nice people too.

boB

I hope to never need invoke their names LOL. Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• DeltaFox
    DeltaFox Solar Expert Posts: 27

Well , I realy don't have it yet and they keep sending me a e-mail saying that I'll get it soon. I bought it at the first of november and they have gave me two notices about it saying that I'll will be getting it. It suppose to be something new to there line of cc's Why am I going to be the last one to get one. I'll be in my grave befor I get it.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

We have not been able to get enough of the new controllers to keep a good stock, right now it looks like we are backorderd about a week. We got in a couple dozen, but that barely filled the standing orders that we had as of the 4th.
  • DeltaFox
    DeltaFox Solar Expert Posts: 27

Thank you for telling me that. I kind of thought there might be a rush on them.