Mounting PV panels

Options
czyhorse
czyhorse Solar Expert Posts: 42 ✭✭
Hi all. I'm getting ready to flush mount my panels to my roof in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone else has had experience with Unirac solarMount mounting hardware?

I purchased their railing with top mount brackets and have some reservations about mounting the rails perpendicular to my trusses. In the installation instructions Unirac calls this setup "Low Profile" where the PV panels are laid long-end parallel to the trusses (perpendicular to the rails), held to the rail via end and mid clamps. It seems like the brackets only hold the PV panels to the railing through friction on the panel sides with no support on the bottom of the PV panel. If I install these on a cold day, I could see these brackets expanding during the coming summer months, leaving the possibility open for the PV panels to slide off the rails and down the roof.

Am I being paranoid about this? Anyone else install their PV using this system?

Comments

• GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Mounting PV panels

There are plenty of videos on the U tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1szRO4Z4Da0

Laying flat may not be too much of an issue if wind is not a concern in bad weather. Another question is: How much does each panel weigh ?
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does the "flush mount" allow for any air circulation under the panels, or will they heat up like an oven?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• czyhorse
    czyhorse Solar Expert Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Options

Flush mount in the sense that they will be at the same slope as my roof. The rails and feet for the mounting hardware provide 4" of clearance between the panels and the roof.
  • siyotanka
    siyotanka Registered Users Posts: 10
    Options

I installed the unirac system using just what you have. I have had no problems with "loosing" of any of the fixtures. I live in the midwest (Illinois), and heating and cooling are concerns. The only drawback I have encountered this year is snow buildup on the panels. Mine are mounted "flush" in line with the joists, approx 4-6 inches off the shingles, same slope as the roof. This spring I am going to redesign the rack to raise one end up about 10 degrees to allow the snow to run off.