problem with soldering cells

Options
I soldered a series of 9 cells. When I checked them with a multimeter, I still had only .5 volts. What did I do wrong? I read on another blog that you can overheat the wires and damage them. Is that possible and if so, can I somehow fix the problem?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Re: problem with soldering cells

When you solder the cells, you have to connect them in series or + to - to + to - etc... Each + to - connect is one piece of wire/copper. You do not run a long length to all of the 9 cells if you are trying for a series connection.

So, depending on the cells you will will probably have to solder top of cell A to bottom of Cell B then Top of Cell C to bottom of Cell D, etc...

You may also have problems with the soldering itself... The cells are very fragile and can be damaged by too hot of iron.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

I did solder top of first cell to bottom of next cell and so on. I think the iron was too hot. Can I still use these cells and if so, how?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

To be honest--I am not a big believer in Do It Yourself solar panels... They are difficult to assemble and hard to make last for any length of time (flexing/thermal cycling causes solder joints/tabs to fail, water leaks, even potential fire hazards with larger arrays because of the typical plastic/wood construction-->10-50+ watt panel range).

It is OK at a science project... But not as a investment in building your own solar panels for grid tied / off grid power.

Perhaps somebody else here has some suggestions.

I am sorry.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Post a pic. If the wires are attached to the cell, there is still enough metal to conduct, but, if you are a beginner solder, and think you used too much heat, you likely did. Get a temperature controlled soldering iron, about 675f should work well, with a medium tip. Don't use too small of tip, it will not conduct enough heat to the work.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options

Without seeing an actual picture of the results, it's difficult to explain.

Provided you did the top to bottom in series method like mentioned, there should be around 4.0- 5.0 volts in that string of 9.

I use a 40watt Weller pen type solder iron from menards. It has the chisel tip. Also you must have the R86 flux pen or equivalent. Before doing anything I'd suggest you get a piece of glass to do your work on. Mine is in the form of an old storm window. This absorbs the excess heat to the glass when soldering. I'll tin the pre-cut lengths of tabbing wire(small stuff) with 50/50 rosin core solder. Next I'll put two beads of flux on the white tabbing conductive strips. Hold the tab wire(tin side down) and place a small weight on it to keep it steady. Take the hot iron and place it in the middle on the tab wire until it melts. Light pressure downward until it seats, then in a smooth motion let the iron melt the tinned wire and white strip moving toward you and off the cell. Remove the weight on the other end and start from the point left off and solder that off the end. Repeat on other side and do this for the remaining cells in the series.

Of course, pre-wired cells are the easiest. In this case you're just attaching the Positives.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.