Perhaps a glossary of terms?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Perhaps a glossary of terms?

I agree.

Although now I'm upset because I can't find any sources for them on this side of the pond! They sound like a very good choice for RE batteries.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Although now I'm upset because I can't find any sources for them on this side of the pond! They sound like a very good choice for RE batteries.

Aha! Finally a desirable piece of off-grid technology that you guys don't already have 10 different versions of ;)
  • D.I.M.1
    D.I.M.1 Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think that's what a glossary is for, the glossary should be a set format for all terms, not specialized, or at least should have a set format and be divided into levels to keep it semi-organized and easy to read here's just on format:
    Term- (general definition), (abbr.)
    I.(In solar power, or practical use)
    II.(Equations to find it if it is a value)
    III.(other relevant information: devices, types, or etc.)

I a newbie in this forum so seniority rules, and am not really that solar power savvy, but a glossary is suppose to make thing easier, so it has to present information as clearly and effectively as possible. Trying to jumble together information isn't really going to help. Say having a long and twisted definition for resistance, and right above it is renewable energy with a short and simple definition, from a reader's standpoint if you look at that from a whole it is quite overwhelming.
  • Cariboocoot

Is anybody even reading the expanding actual glossary post?
    Why just this morning I thought of a couple more things that need to go in.
    It's a work in progress still. The kind that will probably never be finished.

You're right DIM1 - it is supposed to make things easier for newcomers. I think these side-ways discussion (that occur on practically every post) probably confuse initiates. They confuse me, and I've been 'trying to electrocute myself' for over forty years! :p
  • D.I.M.1

True, so I'll give my input from the newcomer stand point to make sure it is actually understandable, and as an added bonus I'll toss in a couple more terms:
    Renewable energy
    Solar Concentration
    Radiation (the displacement)
    Load
    Source
    Thermal Energy
    Conductor
    My actual contribution
    Resistor- a component in a circuit that reduces the flow of electricity, allowing for
    the desired current to power a device.
    I. The are color coated with four bands, and their meanings are: (I forgot, Let me get back to you.
  • Cariboocoot

Some of what you cite fall under the category of "basic electrical terms". I'm still waiting on word from Niel and/or Bill regarding whether those will be included, as the original intent was for defining terms relative to solar - renewable energy (and yes that one is hard to define in a way that everyone would find acceptable).

For instance, you mention "resistor". In most cases when dealing with solar/wind & inverters we talk about resistance, so it might be a good idea to explain the difference. But on the other hand these are both 'basic' terms.

But I thank you for mentioning "Load" - we use that a lot around here, and I can't believe I left it off the list!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The person volunteering for the work--"owns" the show (within reason).

Life taught me, don't complain about the work done by others, if you don't want to be assigned the work yourself. ;)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

marc,
    if you are ready to have its own thread started we can copy and paste it, but we need you to at least put it in alphabetical order.
  • D.I.M.1

It shouldn't be a thread, rather an attachment or document stuck onto the website because I think it would be hard to locate information on a narrow thread window.
  • niel

that would be so for all of the subjects there as all are important and this is the best we can do at this point. if it blossoms or is pertinent enough to windsun, then possibly its own section may come about.
  • Cariboocoot

DIM1; it will be put up as a "locked sticky" so it stays at the top of the category and doesn't get swamped with posts. Because you're right; it's easy for useful info to get lost in long threads!
  • D.I.M.1

Couldn't we have it as an attachment to the entire website.
  • _OS_
    _OS_ Solar Expert Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Here are a few things that I struggled with when populating my Mini-DC enclosure:

Conduit
    Bushing
    Grommet
    KO Seal

Ole
  • niel

ok now of the ones contained in marc's definition post, please review them for accuracy or comment before we ship them off to their new found home. new words we can still add as we go.

btw we aren't just looking for words to be defined, but the definitions as well, unless you don't know what the definition is.
  • D.I.M.1

Well the noobs on the site will post whatever terms we don't know hoping that you veterans will know what they are in context to this forum, like Coot said, resistor has a different context in this forum than in digital circuits (a class I took).
    So, a couple of terms would be:
    Also when providing definitions ~ should be given to definitions that your unsure of that way others can correct mistakes easier. (noob spell check)
    -vector
    -magnitude
    -barometer
    -renewable energy~ the generation of energy by drawing power from a source in which power can be recycled or reused to generate energy, with no waste byproducts.
    -Wind speed
    -Turbine
    -Alternator
    -Energy collectors

That's it for now, sorry I could define more, I just ain't that Solar savvy.
    -DIM
  • Cariboocoot

A brief personal note:

My wife was in a car accident earlier this week. She will be okay, but in hospital for about a month. In the meantime I'm dealing with that as well as her work and mine. I'll get back to this project when things settle down a bit. For one thing, I have to replace the truck.

http://kaleidopsyche.deviantart.com/art/This-Is-An-Ex-4Runner-140318786
  • niel

no problem marc as this glossary really is a joint effort and not just on your shoulders. please tell her i'm sorry for her misfortune and to get well.
  • niel

dim1,
    we aren't going to go overboard with the glossary or try to replace the dictionary. if somebody does not know what some of those words are or can't find the meaning of them even though some are a bit obvious or are far reaching in this forum's scope, as would a forum for mechanics need to define a window or a key, and if so it may be advisable that they not get into anything concerning electricity.
  • D.I.M.1

Coot best wishes to your wife, even if I'm new.

Niel, I'm not saying to make this as a replacement for a dictionary, but a dictionary doesn't give the meanings of some words in relation to a specific topic.

And okay maybe I did post some words that could be looked up, so disregard which ever terms you feel aren't necessary.

Still a newbie,
    -DIM
  • niel

i have started the process with the glossary. now due to post size limitations we will need to have separate posts within the same thread to cover the expanding size down the road. this may be achieved by ranging the alphabet like letters a-g, h-m, n-s, and t-z or in some cases the individual letters should they ever get that large, which i doubt.
  • D.I.M.1

Is it really gonna be a thread? A thread is harder to work with, so why not a sticky or an attachment?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Niel did create:

sticky.gif Sticky: Glossary

I believe you can continue to make suggestions either in the new "Glossary" thread--and Niel will make update and delete the posts to keep the sticky "clean"--or you can continue to make suggestions here (especially those that need some discussions before finalizing in the "glossary" thread).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • D.I.M.1

No problem
    By the way I'm Daniel, and if I come across other things I'll post them.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    _OS_ wrote: »
    Here are a few things that I struggled with when populating my Mini-DC enclosure:

Conduit
    Bushing
    Grommet
    KO Seal

Ole

Conduit: Pipe or tubing used to route and protect wire.

Bushing: A ring screwed onto the threaded end of a conduit or fitting to protect wire from being cut. Usually either all plastic, or metal with a plastic insert.

Grommet: A plastic or rubber filler, which protects wire when passing through a hole, such as a hole in the divider of a metal box.

KO Seal: A metal device used to fill or "plug" an unused hole in an electrical box. There are types with folding tabs to secure them, types with a bracket held by a nut-and-bolt, and types with threads that can be screwed in.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

DWH, doesn't KO mean 'knock - out' and refers to the preformed / cut hole that can be made/opened easily?

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    DWH, doesn't KO mean 'knock - out' and refers to the preformed / cut hole that can be made/opened easily?

Eric

Aye, technically that's correct.

But in the real world of electrical work KO really just means "a hole". So, for instance, the tool used to "make a hole" has the term "knockout" in its name - even though it does not create "a pre-punched hole with the roundy bit(s) left more or less still attached for possible later removal":

http://www.service.kleintools.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+R016994687276E9008479031+PRD+ENG

The foreman might say to the journeyman, "Knock out that KO and run the conduit in there" (KO = the factory pre-punch hole), or he might say, "Make a KO and run the conduit in there" (KO = a new field-installed hole).

"KO Seal" is something you can use to plug a hole in an electrical box - even if that hole was added in the field using a "Knockout Punch" or hole-saw.

Here's a document showing a couple of types of KO Seal:
    https://images.tradeservice.com/gjPilrcyNvvpVtln/ATTACHMENTS/DIR100024/CULLYYE00002_83.pdf

So I guess here's a term for the glossary...

Knock-Out a.k.a. KO: 1. A factory pre-punched hole in an electrical box, with the round inner part (the slug) left partially attached so that the installer can either leave it in or pry it out as needed. 2. Any hole in an electrical box which allows penetration by a conduit, fitting, bushing or grommet.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

As my Swedish cousin would say (phonetically) Yaw Haw, like our ah ha...

thanks, learned another useful bit.

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • D.I.M.1

Also, why not include descriptive helpful information about things like batteries:
    batteries that recharge when their charge is below 75% or 50% deteriorate.
    Something like that i think.
  • Cariboocoot

There's quite a number of terms related to the various types of rechargeable batteries used in solar/wind/microhydro apps in there. Any specific battery term you can think of that got left out we'll definitely want to add.

And thank you Neil for putting the end result into a neat and usable piece. :D

As you know my life is a bit upset just now so my help, such as it ever was, continues in a disjointed fashion.

Oh, and if I've just called Bill, Neil or Neil, Bill for the forty-thousandth time ... :p
  • niel

marc,
    you're welcome and you thanked the right one this time. don't feel bad as i'm not always 100% there either, just ask bill or was that me?:confused::cry::p

on a serious note i hope your wife is doing better and that all will heal.