Rules for Ontario's Feed-in-tariff released

heynow999
heynow999 Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
http://www.powerauthority.on.ca/fit/Storage/10/10435_microFIT_Rules.pdf

The interesting thing is that they have a provincial content requirement that says that either the rack, inverter or panel has to be manufactured in Ontario. In 15 months that requirement will increase to the point where the panels themselves will have to be manufactured in Ontario. I know at this point you can't get a panel that is made in Ontario. I am pretty sure there are no inverters either, so this is a huge oppourtunity for people who can make racks in Ontario.

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Rules for Ontario's Feed-in-tariff released

Another ploy by power companies to squelch PV grid-tie systems.

Quebec will be next, but they will likely add that all labelling on equipment be in French and English (maybe just French).
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The more idiotic rules they make for grid-tie solar, the more people are going to say: "If I'm spending all this money on solar power, why should I bother paying a utility bill at all?" and go off-grid. Maybe that's the plan. I don't know. It just seems totally contradictory that we have utilities and governments saying "we need more green power" and then they turn around and stop people from helping out.

Are you Americans laughing at the absurdity of Canadian politics yet? You should be. We would too, if it didn't make us want to cry (we have to foot the substantial bill for this nonsense).

Okay. Turning into political rant. Shutting up now. :blush:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

[moved to wrong forum]
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • heynow999
    heynow999 Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭

I am not sure why this got moved to the scams category!?

I have read the rules, and I think they are actually pretty good. There is a plant under construction in Ontario

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2009/25/c3987.html

It is going to create many jobs here.

How hard would it be for a metal working business to produce a simple rack? Honestly, I have a neighbour who is a machinist and I am going to talk to him and see if he is interested. I also know an engineer who may be able to stamp a drawing. How hard could it be? (I am sure you are all going to tell me)
  • BB.

Not intended to imply that this was a scam...

Just thought this might have been a discussion more about politics and government programs.

If this was not where you intended the discussion to go-but more about the program details itself--I will move it to the Solar Product Reviews & Opinions section.

Just trying to help keep the thread on topic (--hey, I am trying. :roll:)

Sorry--
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Are you Americans laughing at the absurdity of Canadian politics yet? You should be. We would too, if it didn't make us want to cry (we have to foot the substantial bill for this nonsense).

Nah, not laughing. Politics is politics anywhere you go. Someone made a deal, "Well, if you support our thing here to get more jobs locally, we'll support your thing there to get (fill in the blank)".
  • BB.

I am not laughing either.

Seriously wondering about moving my entire savings to Canadian Banks--So far, the Canadian banking system has performed much better than the US system, both currently and back to the 1930's... As I understand, no Canadian bank has been shut down by the government in either period...

-Bill
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭

I've noticed that most everyone here uses Brand X (with some Brand S) inverters. If y'all are having issues with feed-in tariffs and have Brand O inverters, I sell software which controls the inverters with reducing "Sell" power as a major objective, just after maintaining SOC.
  • Cariboocoot
    BB. wrote: »
    I am not laughing either.

Seriously wondering about moving my entire savings to Canadian Banks--So far, the Canadian banking system has performed much better than the US system, both currently and back to the 1930's... As I understand, no Canadian bank has been shut down by the government in either period...

-Bill

You might not feel that way if you saw a few example of Canadian bank customers' statements. They gotta make those millions in profits somehow. "Monthly fee: $10.00, Per cheque fee, $7.50, Other fee, $6.00" and so on. Some poor sods are handing out +$50 per month in bank fees. Oh, and our maximum legal interest rate is 61% per annum. What you'd call in the States "Usery".
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Gid'day

I have been reading through the FIT program as mentioned, and agree, labour and racking can be from Ontario and with some wiring be within the rules, but in the future looks more daunting.

BUT I have learned that there is a manufacturer in Ontario. Solgate
    http://www.solgate.ca/

There is also to be a new plant constructed north of Kingston, Ontario within the year I believe.

Keep FIT eh! Exercise daily. ;)

steve
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    You might not feel that way if you saw a few example of Canadian bank customers' statements. They gotta make those millions in profits somehow. "Monthly fee: $10.00, Per cheque fee, $7.50, Other fee, $6.00" and so on. Some poor sods are handing out +$50 per month in bank fees. Oh, and our maximum legal interest rate is 61% per annum. What you'd call in the States "Usery".

Now now Marc,, when you turn 60 you get it all with no fees what so ever. (assuming you don't over draw! My bank eve sent Susan a reminder to come in to change here accounts over to the 60+ account. Few advantages of getting older, but that is one!

T
  • BB.

7 more years...

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    icarus wrote: »
    Now now Marc,, when you turn 60 you get it all with no fees what so ever. (assuming you don't over draw! My bank eve sent Susan a reminder to come in to change here accounts over to the 60+ account. Few advantages of getting older, but that is one!

T

We do get ours free, except for the business account. But we see our clients' bank statements every month, and they get hammered with fees.

This is pretty off-topic now so I'll shut up about it. :p