can you epoxy a cotroller/panel?

bobdog
bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
I'm putting up a new panel for an electric fence system, and the only "dry" place i have to mount the sunsaver10L is to epoxy it to the back of the solar panel. Has anyone done this without problems arising (e.g. excess heat, melting, glue liquifying, etc.)

I'm afraid the heat from each piece will affect the CC. Thoughts?

Tim

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: can you epoxy a cotroller/panel?

Most solar charge controllers have a thermal sensor in them that, as the temperature rises, their output voltage falls. This tracks the needs of the battery undercharge.

You would be much better if the battery and the charge controller are "in the same box" so they are at the same temperature. Also, keeping the wires short between the CC and the Battery gives a more accurate charge (less voltage drop).

In any case, I probably would avoid epoxying it to the back of the panel--I don't think either will last very long that way (the epoxy would probably fail from thermal stress/cycling).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Most solar charge controllers have a thermal sensor in them that, as the temperature rises, their output voltage falls. This tracks the needs of the battery undercharge.

You would be much better if the battery and the charge controller are "in the same box" so they are at the same temperature. Also, keeping the wires short between the CC and the Battery gives a more accurate charge (less voltage drop).

In any case, I probably would avoid epoxying it to the back of the panel--I don't think either will last very long that way (the epoxy would probably fail from thermal stress/cycling).

-Bill

The controller he mentions does have a remote temp sensor option (I think).
  • bobdog
    dwh wrote: »
    The controller he mentions does have a remote temp sensor option (I think).

Unfortunately not on this model. My ProStar does have that, but not this one. I agree with BB that it should be lose to the battery, but the box it is in is steel and not water tight per se.

Thaks for the thoughts. I'll keep on thinking about my options. This was just one.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I don't think so---From the Sun Saver PDF manual:
    Temperature Compensation

A sensor next to the green LED measures ambient temp-
    erature conditions. The SunSaver corrects the constant
    voltage setpoint –28 (–56 for 24V) mV per °C with a 25°C
    reference. This correction matches the battery charging
    to the changing electrochemical properties of the battery,
    and works best if the battery and controller are in a similar
    thermal environment.
    While the SunSaver has been built for a "Marine" environment--keeping it out of sun and rain is necessary. Also, given that batteries can outgas hydrogen with sulfuric acid droplets--the controller should be protected from exposure to the acid mist.

-Bill

PS:
    NOTE:

The SunSaver is very corrosion resistant. The case
    is hard coat anodized, cover screws are stainless
    steel, the circuit is encapsulated, and the termi-
    nals are copper and nickel plated brass.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bobdog
    BB. wrote: »
    I don't think so---From the Sun Saver PDF manual:

While the SunSaver has been built for a "Marine" environment--keeping it out of sun and rain is necessary. Also, given that batteries can outgas hydrogen with sulfuric acid droplets--the controller should be protected from exposure to the acid mist.

-Bill

PS:

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone. It looks like not only shouldn't I connect the two together, but now I need to build a separate box for the controller to keep acid spray away from it. Did I mention this is for an outdoor electric fence, in the middle of know where? It won't be hard, just difficult....:D
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get weatherproof, gray fiberglass, electrical enclosures, or use a 1gl bleach bottle, with the bottom cut out and cap on. Reach up inside, and screw the controller thru the plastic, to whatever you are mounting to. Bleach bottles last about a year.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bobdog
    mike90045 wrote: »
    You can get weatherproof, gray fiberglass, electrical enclosures, or use a 1gl bleach bottle, with the bottom cut out and cap on. Reach up inside, and screw the controller thru the plastic, to whatever you are mounting to. Bleach bottles last about a year.

Hey Mike, do you know where to get these enclosures?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plastic Electrical Enclosures:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-electrical-enclosures

Looks like the Corrosion-Resistant Washdown Polycarbonate Enclosures (NEMA 4X)
    are affordable. Create-a-Box Custom Aluminum Enclosures look intriguing too
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭

You can also find them at your local Home Depot.
    I use one of them to protect a DC breaker, close to my panels. It has been there for about 2 years. Cost: About $9.
  • bobdog

Thanks for the suggested enclosures. One of those types will work fine.:D