MPPT controller for wind turbine

2»

Comments

• Robin Gudgel
    Robin Gudgel Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: MPPT controller for wind turbine

The Midnite Classic is indeed close. We are beta testing them now. Two of the present Classic beta sites are already doing wind. You will be able to see live real time data logged sites in about 3 weeks. There are to be two different Hugh Piggot designs 1000W and 2000W (both Hugh Piggot designs), one Kestral 110VDC and the last wind beta site will be switched between a Chinook 200, a 48 volt Bergy XL1 and solar. Other classic beta sites are data logging strictly solar (boring, but they are performing well). Wind is a lot more fun. The last beta unit is slated for Australia where it will be charging a 120VDC battery bank. We do have a Clipper to go along with the Classic for wind applications. The Clipper limits voltage coming out of the turbine, or current or RPMs or all three. The Clipper also slows the turbine down when batteries are fully charged or in the case of a storm. One upcoming beta site will have two identical 2KW turbines on two identical towers. One turbine is hooked up direct to the battery bank with a regular dump load, the other has the Clipper and 250 volt Classic. It will be very interesting to see how it all works. We do not have enough Classics to parallel them at this site, so it will be interesting to see how much power we can control? The Clipper will aid in this issue when max power of the Classic is reached, but what happens if we reach the max power of the Clipper? The intent is to slow down the turbine to reduce power output in this case. If all works according to plan, you will see it on our website. If it all goes up in smoke, it will be a little longer until you see it. The project is scheduled to be installed in about two or three weeks. Every wind turbine will have different characteristics. Some will be easy to control and some may not be stoppable. boB and I have been designing and manufacturing power electronics together for over 30 years. The Classic and Clipper are for sure the most challenging and also the most fun. Designing inverters and charge controllers at Trace, Xantrex, OutBack and Magnum had its rewards for sure, but the stuff we are doing at Midnite is really over the top.
    The turbine described in this thread will have similar issues regarding to power output. MPPT does really double or triple the power output. That is a problem with controllers that are only good for 3 or 4 KW. Boy this is going to be fun.
    I know Niel will be disappointed, but the Classic and Clipper are not talking to each other yet. That should come with the next board design.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

That sounds like another feature Voice Recognition? no nead for network cables between controllers:)
  • Robin Gudgel
    Robin Gudgel Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭

There will still be cables. 6 conductor phone cable.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last beta unit is slated for Australia where it will be charging a 120VDC battery bank.

Wow ! What about 96V or other "odd" (36V) voltages? Do you have inverters that will run off 120VDC - or how is that used ??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Robin - we expect to have an in depth review here first when it is released :cool:

The only controller in the world that you can argue with?
  • mike95490
    The Midnite Classic is indeed close. We are beta testing them now. Two of the present Classic beta sites are already doing wind. You will be able to see live real time data logged sites in about 3 weeks. There are to be two different Hugh Piggot designs 1000W and 2000W (both Hugh Piggot designs), one Kestral 110VDC and the last wind beta site will be switched between a Chinook 200, a 48 volt Bergy XL1 and solar. <snip>

Any updates about wind ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Any updates about wind ?

Oh my goodness ! That post was quite a while ago.

For real units and real-time data logging, go o www.midnitesolar.com
    There are a few out there. The one in Oregon is off line at the moment but Jason is going to put his back up online as soon as his arm heals a bit more.

Otherwise, wind is working very well.
    boB
  • mike95490
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Any updates about wind ?

What I intended to spew was:
    Any updates on the wind MPPT controller shipping from Midnight?

• Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Indeed Mike, I have been waiting for one for so long (really only about 5months) that I went ahead and bought a xw 60 2 weeks ago. I still want the classic though so I will wait again. I am not sure I can hole out for another 5 months though. I would have loved to have two of them (one for wind and one for solar) so it would have to be the xw for solar and the classic for wind...unless i sell the xw...hmmm.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I would like to give you an exact date but cant do that. I can say boB is reallllllllly close or even done on the last board "Right boB?" so we should be building and shipping a bunch more beta units real soon. Keep an eye on www.midnitesolar.com for updates and info on the beta test program.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

This is a 3 year old thread--The Midnite classic wind controller has been shipping for a while now (I believe).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset