Slip Ring position

Boerman
Boerman Registered Users Posts: 7
I put up a Selsam SuperTwin on a 35' tilt-up made from 4" steel pipe. I was originally told that it probably wouldn't need a slip ring, especially if my wire was flexable enough. Well, after just over a month of operation, it has gotten too stiff to unwind itself....twice. So I am going to have to break down and get a slip ring. I have been a little concerned about having the weight of the wire pulling down on the connections. So, is there any reason to not put the slip ring near the bottom of the tower?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Slip Ring position

My two cents--as little cable twisting and chafing as possible. So, mounting the slip rings "near the top"/cable entry point from the turbine would seem to make the most sense.

Out of curiosity--where will you purchase the slip rings/what do they look like and how will they install (simply inside the tube/pole hanging between the top and bottom wires, structurally at the/become the pivot, ???

Providing proper strain relief for the cable will be important--no matter where it is installed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boerman wrote: »
    I put up a Selsam SuperTwin on a 35' tilt-up made from 4" steel pipe.

on a side note, have you been able to log your power production from it ? have any charts or graphs?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Noodles
    Noodles Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭

You may already know this but a company called Mercotac makes slip rings that can be used in wind turbines.

Mike
  • Boerman
    BB. wrote: »
    My two cents--as little cable twisting and chafing as possible. So, mounting the slip rings "near the top"/cable entry point from the turbine would seem to make the most sense.

Out of curiosity--where will you purchase the slip rings/what do they look like and how will they install (simply inside the tube/pole hanging between the top and bottom wires, structurally at the/become the pivot, ???

Providing proper strain relief for the cable will be important--no matter where it is installed.

-Bill

Thanks, Bill. Cable entry point is near the bottom of the tower. I'll have to lay it down to install the ring anyway. I just figured that the closer to the bottom, the less weight on the connections of the slip ring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wind-Turbine-Generator-Slip-Ring-No-Twist-BEST-PRICE_W0QQitemZ250460995006QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a50a37dbe&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

The cable I used is 10ga direct burial, 3 strands. It is pretty flexible but I had 3-4 days of wind without any action from the turbine after the turbine was up for a couple of weeks. Sure enough, the wire was twisted and it wouldn't turn into the wind. So I unwound it. But now its stopped turning into the wind again so I figure I will spring for a slip ring.
  • Boerman
    Noodles wrote: »
    You may already know this but a company called Mercotac makes slip rings that can be used in wind turbines.

Mike

I saw the Mercotac rings but they seem like a bit of overkill. Gonna try the other one first.
  • Boerman
    mike90045 wrote: »
    on a side note, have you been able to log your power production from it ? have any charts or graphs?

I got this thing partly to just see for myself what kind of production I could get. I got tired of trying to wade thru all the bs from the manufacturers. I can tell you that the meter says I only got 43.5kwh in July. Considering that July and August are pretty slow wind months and the days when it didn't turn because of being twisted up, I'd say it is too early to draw any conclusions. But I will be keeping a monthly log and will be glad to report, good or bad, if any one is interested.

I think Doug Selsam is pretty straightforward and I like the chart on his webpage that tells you how many watts to expect and given wind speeds. I have compared my windspeed/watts to his chart and found it to be right in line.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you are looking for an easy-no strain sort of free floating slip ring assembly--I understand you wanting to mount the rings at the base of your tube.

It does not appear to have much strain relief on the wiring. For something just to try--why not.

It will be neat to see how your ongoing power numbers work out for a year or several.

-Bill

PS: The usual warning of fuses/breakers back at the battery to ensure that any shorts (i.e., shorted diodes or wiring/cabling) is protected against excess current.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Not sure if you live in the states, but the Mercotac may be an issue as it sure looks like a mercury containing switch and many states have banned the sale or use of mercury containing products. Just a heads up.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    peakbagger wrote: »
    Not sure if you live in the states, but the Mercotac may be an issue as it sure looks like a mercury containing switch and many states have banned the sale or use of mercury containing products. Just a heads up.

May be, but they put mercury into your flu vaccines a a preservative so it can't be all THAT bad, right ?

Yes, it is bad, but mercury gets into your state in that way at least, and used for slip rings is not a problem unless you like, open it up and drink some of it so I would hope this is not a reason to ban those slip rings.
    It is sealed very well, too, from what I see.

boB