Duckbill Anchors- recommendations?

Kevinb
Kevinb Solar Expert Posts: 26
Does anyone have a good source for these? I'm putting up a 30' guyed tower, and would rather not dig big holes and use conrete. 2000lb+ strength should do it. On the other hand if anyone has a reason NOT to use them, I'd be interested in that too.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Duckbill Anchors- recommendations?

FYI--Website for Duckbill Anchors...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevinb wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good source for these? I'm putting up a 30' guyed tower, and would rather not dig big holes and use conrete. 2000lb+ strength should do it. On the other hand if anyone has a reason NOT to use them, I'd be interested in that too.

Guyed Tower = 1 wire failure, and down it comes.

The wire is buried underground, and cannot be inspected.

How does it hold up in saturated soil? If you don't have a lot of rain, not a problem,
    but when soil 2' down turns to mud, you have no effective anchor, cement would at least still have mass.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Kevinb

Thanks guys. BB, I found that while searching also but haven't contacted them yet. Mike, that's the kind of input I'm looking for, and am also not sure if it's a good idea. I have dug some holes and trenches in the yard, and it's pretty clay-like after about the first foot or so. I was thinking if they're driven 4' down with stainless cable, it would be pretty safe. :confused:
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Having done a bunch of towers over the years, (My dad was a ham and he was always having me put up towers!) I wouldn't use these for anything but a temporary guy system.

I think that Mike has it right, and there are additional issues, not the least of which is the true holding power, rather than a guess.

Just my opinion,

Tony
  • Kevinb

Well Ok, I was hoping someone would say they had good success with them, but it sounds like it's not worth the risk. Any suggestions for a good anchor to set in concrete? Augers are pretty expensive, and I'm afraid a rebar loop would rust away.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Conventional "J" bolts are available in sizes up to at least 11/8 diameter. Also, If you did make a loop out of #6 or #8 rebar and cast it into a block of concrete I would hazard to guess that unless it was in salt water, it wouldn't rust away in your lifetime.

Tony

PS Simpson (and others) make all kinds of hold down hardware for all kinds of applications:http://www.simpsonanchors.com/ This will get you close, but you probably would need to search a little further.
  • Noodles
    Noodles Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭

Depending on your location you may find eye bolts cheaper than the bolt depot, but I have used their galvanized, forged eye bolts tied into rebar on each of my guy anchors. The website also has some good info on load limits for the size bolt you are using.

Mike