Truth About Skystream & SWWP

Comments

• dlenox
    dlenox Solar Expert Posts: 42
    Re: Truth About Skystream & SWWP

Larry,

Good to see you here!

Yes it was you that I was referring to...

Sorry to hear about the incompatibily with your newly installed solar

Dan Lenox
  • Kevinb
    Kevinb Solar Expert Posts: 26

Hey Truth Squad,
    Sorry to hear about your experience and all the other layoffs. This is all very disappointing to hear, especially for someone who lives here in Flagstaff. I remember years ago when a local machine shop was machining the housings for the Air units. I got a bad taste in my mouth for SWWP then when the owner of the machine shop told me that they were dumped for an out-of-state vendor that was a few cents cheaper per unit- even after the local shop owner built all of the custom fixturing required for free. After 15 years as part owner and product designer at a US machinery manufacturer, I have no respect for a company that lays off employees while expanding in China because of cheap labor.

I hope you and the others are keeping an eye on the employment section of the Gore website- there are openings on a regular basis. I am now an engineer there and can personally tell you it's a great company to work at.

On a lighter note, I'd be glad to supply the beer if you'd be interested in taking a look at my home-built generator, and a bigger one that I'm working on. It's purely for my entertainment, but it would be great to meet you and get some experienced input on the design. Good luck with the job search!

Kevin
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

http://www.stthomasspringdale.org/?page_id=79 Read down the page for a timeline.

http://www.earthbilly.com/wind_turbine.htm I feel sorry for this guy...

http://www.nrel.gov/wind/smallwind/pdfs/mariah_report.pdf (this NREL report is about the failed Mariah VAWT type turbine tests, June 2009. Though not associated with SWWP it mirrors many of the problems with small wind turbines, especially the recently much hype vertical axis turbines.
  • BillF
    BillF Solar Expert Posts: 48 ✭✭

Windenergytruth.com has disappeared along with the blog it hosted.

This site had numerous postings regarding SWWP products, although focusing primarily on the SS3.7, sometimes viscious in nature. Some posters who had a more moderate view were beat down with strong verbage.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

gee, if they could only divert that energy to the customers and the products.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Cease and Desist for the win!

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." - Shakespeare.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows the US end of the problems between Aeromag (Lakota) and SWWP?? my supply chain was ruptured when SWWP attacked Lakota over the OB1KW turbine... since then, the products have effectively disappeared!

Since have returned to basics to sell Fortis and other Euro products

Here in France, there are reputable renewable energy companies pushing Skystreams with promises that at <6m/s of wind (annual average) the Skystream will produce over 6600KWh per year.... reading some of the comments over there... I doubt these figures by a very long way... the Skystream, on average is also being proposed at over €13 000 + sales taxes for a turbine installed!

Derek de Saint-Malo
    www.ami-enr.fr.gd
  • System2

Great, you come forward with this information only after you were fired. What if you did not get laid off? Why didn't you provide this information prior to your departure?
    You are just as bad as SWWP and now I have what is apparently a 20k piece of junk installed at my home for which none of this critical information you now have provided but was previously known by you. I did the research before I purchased and did not find anything too bad about the skystream.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

An interesting point to be sure.

The question is, how many of us would have the courage to come forward while we are employed? What was TruthSquad doing to help the process from the inside before the layoff? Interesting moral dilemmas.

Tony
  • Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭

Well, Frazzini, some here can tell you I took a major risk coming forward even after being laid off. I didn't even have to do that and posts such as yours make me regret that I did. Because it wasn't worth it. I won't be saying another word on the subject of SWWP or any of their products to anyone, anytime, ever again. Period. Do your own due diligence, Frazzini. (My apologies to Icarus and I have edited this post to retract naming inadvertantly him earlier.) You know, Frazzini, I don't exist to save you or others from purchases you now regret. So now I'm the bad guy here? Yeah, you're real brave with my job, aren't you? Whatever. As I said, I will not be saying another word about SWWP or their products.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Icarus, some here can tell you I took a major risk coming forward even after being laid off. I didn't even have to do that and posts such as yours make me regret that I did. Because it wasn't worth it. I won't be saying another word on the subject of SWWP or any of their products to anyone, anytime, ever again. Period.

I think that remark was supposed to be directed to "frazzini", not Icarus.

Truth Squad - I thank you for sharing your experience, as I know what it's like to be getting a paycheck from morons who can flip out at any time.

Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Truth Squad

Post amended and apologies to Icarus. I misdiscombobulated the names.;)

I won't be talking about SWWP or any of their products again.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Truth Squad,

You have handled yourself well here--and taken some hits in the process.

I am sorry to hear that you don't want to participate in this anymore--But I can understand why.

Frazzini,

I can understand why you are are not happy about your Skystream installation. Truth Squad has his history, and has told us about (most of) it.

Best we can offer you (Frazzini) here is the chance to type about your installation--The good, the bad, and the ugly. And help others with their actual and contemplated installations.

The more information that is out there and searchable, the better it is for us all.

Others too have written, on other sites, about their experiences with SWWP and some, apparently, have had their postings removed (by their choice or not--don't know--and I probably don't want to know).

www.windenergytruth.com only lasted a hand full of weeks discussing the issues about SWWP. Gone...

On occasion people have posted regarding issues that they have with SWWP -- then, when finally offered good customer support, took down their complaints.
    Q: I've noticed that all the negative stuff about Skystreams and low temp problems have disappeared from your website. My neighbor's unit has been essentially inoperable since November 2007. No help from SW or the local dealer. It's now starting to produce because temps are up.
    A: Well back in the first of January after I blew my top, Southwest and I worked things out and they shipped and installed a new Skystream turbine for us...
    Our host (WindSun/NAWS) here has been very clear from the beginning that he wants a free and open discussion here about all Solar RE products....

And I hope that these discussions can continue...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

my comments in bold.
    frazzini wrote: »
    Great, you come forward with this information only after you were fired.

so what would you have done and it was a lay-off?

What if you did not get laid off?

he'd have eventually either be working from china or laid-off so the question is mute being it wasn't his decision or choice.

Why didn't you provide this information prior to your departure?

i think it may be because it would've been an early departure as in fired? i guess he could've kept quiet about it afterwards and you'd still be in the dark so forgive him for letting you know.

You are just as bad as SWWP and now I have what is apparently a 20k piece of junk installed at my home for which none of this critical information you now have provided but was previously known by you. I did the research before I purchased and did not find anything too bad about the skystream.

many have spoken up about swwp even here prior to truth squad's postings. where were you?

do not blame truth squad because of what his employer had done and i applaud him for wanting to get it off of his chest at any time. rather than blame the company or even your own decisions you'd rather kill the messenger. makes sense.:confused: not.:roll:

edit to add;
    i know you are frustrated hearing that you put big money into that product, but hey, you may wind up being in that 5% or so that are happy with them. will you credit truth squad if it works for you? of course not so don't blame him otherwise either.
    just my thoughts.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

No offense taken by me in any case. I applaud whistle blowers at any/every level. The courage to do the right thing is too rare,, and it is too easy for the rest of us to say would have, should have could have. Until we walk in our brother's shoes I think it hard to criticize. I just pointed out the moral dilemma, not that I could have would have should have.

Tony
  • Truth Squad

http://www.air-yunsheng.com/en/products_list.asp?id=25

Scroll down to see country of origin on this:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=366859

Beyond that, I have no more comments on SWWP. People need to do their own due diligence. I just felt this last thing needed to be posted.
  • Aussie Bob
    Aussie Bob Registered Users Posts: 13
    Well, Frazzini, some here can tell you I took a major risk coming forward even after being laid off. I didn't even have to do that and posts such as yours make me regret that I did. Because it wasn't worth it.
    If it's any consolation, I appreciate what you've done here. I was going to buy a Whisper 200 in the next few mths, but after reading this thread (and boy what a read!) I won't be making that purchase. No sir!

So thank you for what you've shared here, and good luck with finding a new job!
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Aussie bob buying a 200 w wind generator is really a waste of cash unless you just trying to find something to spend your "stimulus money" on.
    It does not matter who makes the generator.. all wind generators are rated to give that figure in a wind that would give you a record breaking boat in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race.
    I have a Air X 400 it works to manufacturers specs, never a problem but it only puts out about 20 amps about 250 watts in winds that just about blow you down the street.. yes it can do almost 40 amps but only in a Typhoon.
  • Aussie Bob

Hi John :)

I have 2 turbines setup, and they work ok. I still prefer solar, but I like to dabble and play with these things. I use the turbines to charge a battery bank, and they do the job. Nothing mind blowing, but nothing to sneeze at either. Some nights my main turbine is going steady all night long, making around 7amps. It's not sexy, but it's still 7amps, all night, while the solar panels make 0 amps. :cool:
  • john p

Aussie bob you lucky if you get 7a all night that is not bad.. mine are in a place where its not constant,, sometimes nothing then sudden burst 15 amps for a few minutes. then nothing.. must be all the hot air from the politicians talking down there that gives you the constant winds ????
  • Aussie Bob
    john p wrote: »
    Aussie bob you lucky if you get 7a all night that is not bad.. mine are in a place where its not constant,, sometimes nothing then sudden burst 15 amps for a few minutes. then nothing.. must be all the hot air from the politicians talking down there that gives you the constant winds ????
    We live on the Toowoomba range, so we get a lot of steady wind I guess coming up over the range. Some nights it's going steady all night. Lucky turbine. ;)
  • john p

oh I thought you said you in Canberra?
  • joeaksa
    joeaksa Solar Expert Posts: 39

Bob,

How do you run two turbines? Single or separate towers?

I have a 75 foot tower and have two wind turbines that I would like to run, so am looking at options.

Thanks,

Joe
    Aussie Bob wrote: »
    Hi John :)

I have 2 turbines setup, and they work ok. I still prefer solar, but I like to dabble and play with these things. I use the turbines to charge a battery bank, and they do the job. Nothing mind blowing, but nothing to sneeze at either. Some nights my main turbine is going steady all night long, making around 7amps. It's not sexy, but it's still 7amps, all night, while the solar panels make 0 amps. :cool:
  • niel

i doubt that the tower will take much more than 1 turbine as they have wind load specs that should not be exceeded, especially on a used tower.
  • Truth Squad

Mounting two turbines on one tower is a very bad idea. There are cases when the wind will blow from a direction where one turbine will be exactly in front of the other and then effectively cut the other out of production as a result.
  • System2

Hey, I am new to this forum but not new to wind energy.
    Truth Squad, thank you for your postings. You have answered questions that I have wondered for years about SWWP. Thank you for your insight.

For those of you admonishing Truth Squad for the postings: listen and learn. It is rare for an insider to go public with information.

For you Skystream owners, sorry dudes you should have done your homework. Their is s bunch of great info out there on the Internet. You should have researched past failures of SWWP turbines. If it makes you feel any better I have a SWWP Whisper 175 that is rusting into the ground next to the tower. Yup, I made the same mistake as you! But, info was more limited in 2001. Hey, maybe I should post that on Youtube lol?

I have been testing one of Doug Selsams Supertwins for a while now. So far I am very happy with this unit. Like I told The Discovery Channel Canada, who did some filming at my house several monthes ago, it was time to cut my losses with the junk wind turbine and try something else. So far so good.

Ken Schnaufer
    Palmdale, Ca
    the windy high desert
  • System2

This story completely crushed my fancy for Southwest.....

In my country, there is saying: no merchant is not shrewd merchant.

It seems true around the world.
  • arcandspark
    arcandspark Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to add my two cents worth about how SWWP left me hanging. My friend had purchased a Windseeker 500. It sat for alittle more than a year in storage. When he asked me to install it I said let me test it first before putting a tower together. It did not work right out of the box. SWWP told me they stopped making that model due to problems and they could not help me with it at all, no wire diagrams, or parts. But they were willing to sell me one of their newer wind generators. I all my work installing systems, speaking at solar groups and meetings, and even ham radio clubs, you will never hear me say anything good about SWWP other than to warn people to stay away.

Oh by the way anyone looking for a like new in the box, Windseeker 500, for parts, let me know, I might just be able to help you out. arcandspark
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

SWWP: Small, Worthless Wind Power. :p
  • niel

how about small worthless wind profiteering?