Sun Run PV leasing

icarus
icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had any experience with Sun Run Inc. http://www.sunrunhome.com/ and their leasing program? I have relatives in Mass. and they bought into the CitizenRe scam. SunRun is now advertising in Mass.

Is SunRun a more legit operation,,, it seems that they have done some "real" installs.

Tony

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sun Run PV leasing

fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me. if you know that they scammed in the past then don't deal with them at all. a few legit installs could be a ploy to reel in more and the workmanship quality would also come into question on the ones they may do if they decided to. your call as i don't know of their practices as you do.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why rent, when you can own, and payback in 10 years or so?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus

Mike,

The answer to "why rent when you can own?" question is one of capital and capital cost. Some folks are scared away with the idea of putting up so much money, or they can't raise it for a variety of reasons. It seems to me a reasonable alternative.

To Niel's question, I'm note sure what you are saying. I think that the jury is no longer out RE: CitizenRe. It is clear that it is a non-starter. What I am asking with no evidence one way or another if it is legit or a scam. (My relatives didn't buy a system,, because there was nothing to buy,, what I meant was they "bought into" the concept of leasing PV). So I am looking to see if anyone knows anything about them first hand.

Tony
  • niel

tony,
    sorry i misunderstood what you were saying about them. another gauge may be how much hype the company throws out there. a good company doesn't need hype. personally, i was never sold on the idea of renting or leasing solar. they should go for buying it and try for a loan as many states offer loans for re even if there's no grants or rebates available, which i believe their state does have rebates. they will most likely have to pay more in property taxes to have rented or leased pvs on their home and if one's going to pay taxes on that improvement, then one should be the owner of it in the first place. so if they go for that lease then who do they call if there's trouble and there's little legal recourse available to you that would give prompt results. far too many ifs, ands, or buts so try for ownership imo.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

If one is scared about the capital costs, they should be petrified on the thought of signing a 20-25 year contract that puts the home owner on the hook to make the payments forever

Leasing is NEVER a good idea, it always cost more and have no benefits what so ever for PV ... if some other company is willing to buy, build,install a system, they want profit for there investment ...

What happens in 4 years and you want to move and new home-owner say no to taking over the lease? think time-share for a comparison from what the deal is worth and how long you are stuck once you sign the contract ...
  • icarus

Hey guys,

I'm not hyping this thing,, as they say I have no dog in this fight,, but I do think that there are those that might make the solar leap if they could lease, and so there may be a place. My question is whether or not this is a legit company.

As for the details. I was alerted to them by a recent article in the Boston Globe. Here are the simple details. You pay a $1000 up front fee for an install. You sign a contract of 18 years,, locking the electrical rate for that time frame. If you sell your house, the lease is transferable,, or you can buy it out. I think I read you can move it to another location for a fee.

I do understand that these guys are in this to make a profit. Question is at some level understanding that leasing is not great financial deal,, does it make any sense to lease (assuming this is legit) due to the reduced upfront capital cost?

I agree that it probably doesn't make much sense for most,,, the question is does it make sense for any,,, and is this a legit company?
  • niel

legit company or not, the answer is, no, it's not a good thing to do imho. btw, legit companies can steal and do wrongs too. good companies is another point and i can't say they are or are not a good company even though i would lean negatively.
    this time you misunderstood me as i never implied you are hyping, but i was referencing any company's business practices, as a bad one makes bad claims or stretches the truth like we've seen some doing with claims of the government paying for all of it while it allows your meter to run backwards.
  • jon k
    jon k Registered Users Posts: 8

hello, i had the phone call from sun run today. lots of people in this group seem against this idea of leasing the panels. I guess my question is this. I dont have the $13,000 to 30,000 for this panels, so its either lease or nothing. why would nothing be better?

Some one talked about having a bill for 18 years, if i do nothing i still have that bill.

i really am intested in this program. i know nothing about solar . any help would be great.

thank you

jon
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The 3rd choice is spending on conservation...

You spend the money on leasing for 18 years and the system does not add any value to your home or reduce other energy bills (heating oil, natural gas, etc.).

Spending on conservation usually has a better rate of return on your money, and can add to the value of your home (around 50% of the money spent on insulation, new appliances, etc. can increase the sales price of your home--and make it nice to live in now; less drafts, less noise, etc.).

In the end, we don't know your home, how energy efficient it is at this time, or your personal life style.

Solar Grid Tied systems rarely save money (tax rebates certainly help) and if you have heavy tierring of electrical rates (for example, in Northern California we can pay between $0.09 and $0.60-$0.75 per kWhr, depending on rate plan, energy use, seasons, and residential vs commercial).

Don't fall in love with solar PV electric systems. Look at it as an investment and only if it does something for you -- think about installing.

Leasing, usually, only makes sense for corporations that are trying to alocate tax issues and take advantages of certain transactions.

These rarely will help a home owner--and being on the hook for 18 years in one home (with penalties if you end the lease early?) is certainly a commitment that many people should not make.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

i don't believe there is a requirement that you go solar unless you have no grid power to begin with and then there wouldn't be anyone you could sell power to in that case. i don't want to hear that you haven't any choice in the matter as that sounds as if you've been unduly pressured/brainwashed.
  • jon k

i dont know if you think i was brainwashed, i'm not. but i thank you.

i guess i'm looking at it this way. lets say in 18 years i haven't saved a penny but other then my $1000 it didn't cost anything. i think it might beworth it. is that crazy?

(someone talked about using the money on conservation, best idea there is. i've had the energy audit. new windows , r49 in attic. theres not much room to improve).

again, thank you for your help.
  • BB.

Glad to hear you headed down the conservation road first... That is always the best place to start.

In the end, you have to start talking real numbers... Both in your current energy usage (such as heating/cooling--electricity, oil, natural gas, propane, etc.) compared with where you are now and if the "heating systems" were replaced with something more efficient than you have now (don't know age of your home, etc.).

For most people, if you require heat (home heating, domestic hot water, etc.)--solar thermal systems are generally a better investment than solar PV electric. They are cheaper to install and solar thermal panels are more efficient (60-80% of solar energy captured, vs just 12-15% for solar electric) so they solar thermal panels can be smaller.

There is some drawbacks to solar thermal--typically they are water based plumbing which can leak, and require maintenance (pumps, tanks, etc.--i.e., time and $$$) and for cold weather areas, gets more complex as anti-freeze or drain-back systems are required.

Grid Tied solar can be a break even or even come out ahead in areas with expensive electricity (like California and New York where power might cost a heavy user of power $0.30 to $0.60 per kWhr or even more). With government subsidies, you may get your Grid Tie system costs down to $0.15-$0.20 per kWhr (ignoring finance charges, possible property taxes, etc.).

What kind of quotes and terms are you getting for solar leasing option? What are the penalties for early termination, etc.?

I assume the leasing company is making money selling green credits and getting tax credits to actually make their profit.

What are the penalties you can take against them if, for example, the system breaks--can you suspend payments until they get the system back online. What if the system does not meet expectations (neighbor trees grow, city allows a 2nd floor addition which blocks panels, etc.)? What if the regulator climate changes (if net metering changes subtantially)? That is a real risk--for example, I installed my solar GT system almost 4 years ago... Since that time, I have almost lost my favoriable (for solar PV) electric rates at least once and now face a whole unknown of "Smart Power" with "Smart Meters" and Smart Billing" and "Smart Alecs" (come-on--that was TEH Funny :D ) that will force me off of my current TOU rate plan (which was part of my financial justifications for my GT system) onto a barely defend "Smart" plan--which is still evolving based on the whim of government regulators and the power companies.

To a degree--I tend to look at things as a risk/reward system...

If my reward is parity in payments over 18 years (power costs vs lease costs)--and my risk is an 18 year contract with expensive non-performance penalties for me (and none for the vendor?)--I have ask why would "I" do it.

But remember, I am not doing conservation + solar to be "green". I am doing it to conserve (and being "cheap" fits very nicely with a conservation model ;) ).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jon k

Bill,

thank you for your time and the education.

Jon
  • BB.

Jon,

Have you gotten any quotes / information / terms / numbers from Sun Run yet that you can share?

-Bill
  • jon k

$1000 down.
    4,800 kwh produced 1st year 5.04kw DC system
    24 evergreen panels (made in MASS, the get extra tax brake if made in MAss)
    67% of power from solar expected.
    Projected savings
    year savings
    1 58
    2 120
    3 186
    4 255
    5 329
    and so on. so in year 6 you have saved your 1000, and now are "ahead"
    at year 18 if I want I can buy the system for $5000ish.

no monthly extra's, non min bill.

it sounds good to me
  • BB.

Don't know your roof angles or if you have shading issues...

If the system is installed around Worchester Mass and installed on a fixed mount optimally positioned--you could even see as much as 6,152 kWhrs per year (using the PV Watts program).

Now, how much do you pay for power, and how much is the lease payments (does the price of the lease vary over time and/or utility rates)?

From what you have said, your total electrical usage is around 7,200 kWhrs per year? At $0.12 per kWhr that would be $864 per year electric bill.

The system generates (at 4,800 kwhrs per year) around $576 kWhrs worth of power.

And that leaves around 2,400 kWhrs or $288 worth of power bills per year for you to pay?

If your savings is $58 per year (is that per year or per month?)...

$864 per year power bill - $58 per year savings - $288 worth of power to still buy = $518 per year ($43 per month) cost of lease?

All of this complexity to save ~$5 per month?

And what if you drop your power usage (warm winter, cool summer, kids move out of house, etc.) and you drop your average power bill--how do the payments work?

I still am not understanding the whole lease/power bill payment system.

A 5 kW system would cost (very roughly) $40,000 to install less 30% federal credits, plus whatever credits your state may issue...

Say the whole thing cost $28,000 to install. And you get an 8% 10 year loan. That is about a payment of $339.72 per month with a 10 year payment schedule. The total payments would include about $12,800 for interest + the $28,000 principle...

You could cut a $100 per month off the payment if you went to an 8% 20 year loan...

So what are the lease/power payments--it can't be just the $1,00o down and $5 a month savings on a $72 per month power bill...???

Perhaps the company is getting some killer per kWhr Green Credits to fund their operation.

-Bill
  • jon k

current rate is .18 kwh with .17 w sunrun. (my power company is raising rates 16% Januay 1)

their numbers say a savings of $32,000 over 25 life of panels. i dont think i will see any where near that savings.

MASS has great deals for solar if you by MASS made parts.
  • Solar Guppy

Who keeps the solar running all those years? you go thru 3-4 inverters over that time frame @ 3K a pop ... plus labor and down time , panels can and do fail as well , like storm or ice damage ..
  • jon k

they cover all maint costs.
  • icarus

Pv watts :http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/codes_algs/PVWATTS/version1/US/code/pvwattsv1.cgi
    For Wooster,, predicts a 5kw dc system would produce 6100 kwh/yr, and at the average Mass rate would be ~ $720 worth of power.

Tony
  • BB.

Here is a guy's blog that has the financial deal for the payments:
    Because for the next 17 years, your SunRun solar lease bill will rise by only 2.9%, whereas the utility portion will probably rise at a higher rate, perhaps 5% or more.
    It looks like you put down ~$500 on the system, and then "buy your power" from SunRun.

In this example, but SunRun and the Utility start at the same price per kWhr... SunRun raises their price by 2.9% rate, while--it is expected that the power company will increase their costs by an average of 5% per year.

There were no other contractual details other than you had the right to purchase the system at $1.00 per watt at the end of 18 years.

Guessing--but it looks like they undersized the system a little bit--because you are contracted to purchase 100% of the power from the system over 18 years.

So--if your power usage goes down over that time (more efficient home, kids moved out, get rid of a pool, etc.)--you may be liable to buy the excess power--even if you did not use it.

I went through the SunRun site and did not find any sample contracts.

Their basic contract just reduces the rate of inflation to your power bill... Since the difference in costs over 18 years is not that different (may be $3,000 dollars or so)--seems like a bit of a risk to sign up to buy power for 18 years (unless you are betting that energy inflation is going to take off).

It is kind of interesting... In Northern California, if you conserve power and use 300 kWhrs a month or less:

January 1996: $0.11589 per kWhr
    March 2009: $0.11531 per kWhr

So, my price per kWhr has gone down over 14 years--not a 5% per year increase. Now, this is because of "social engineering" by our government to keep rates low/flat for "poor people" and run rates up for the heavy consumers...

The "average" power price as defined by PG&E:

January 1996: $0.12229 per kWhr
    March 2009: $0.17643 per kWhr

The annual inflation rate for California Power in my area averaged about 2.7% per year over the last 14 years.

Now--because I own my own array--I chose to go with Time of Use power... Most of my usage is during off peak at $0.09 per kWhr, and most of my power is generated during time power my payback is around $0.30 per kWhr (E7 rate: summer weekday afternoons)...

So, I have a $5 per month electric bill for the last almost 4 years... Yes, I did have to pay ~$20,000 up front of my own cash for this privilege.

Between conservation and owning my own array--I have truly taken my bill to near zero per month while still on the grid.

Rate plans are changing right now--and I may be forced to a new rate schedule (using "Smart" meters which report back to the utility once every hour my last hour's usage to allow all sorts of new rate plans--typically variable pricing based on "market" based electrical rates with a 1 day notice of what you will be paying in 24 hours for the next 24 hours).

There is a lot churn going on out there with electrical rates and plans--I would not want to bet the next 18 years on any particular outcome for so little gain...

That SunRun puts almost nothing online on the contractual details (most of the above are from, what appear to be "friendly" blogs), it makes it difficult to compare without having a sales rep. involved.

-Bill :confused:
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I'm the author of that post on SolarFred.com. Everything BB says is pretty much on the mark. However, I'd like to point out that SunRun has two programs. A solar lease and and a solar PPA (power purchase agreement) for residents. Arizona has the lease option.

Just want to confirm from my analysis that this program has its advantages in that it's green, you never have to worry about the maintenance, and you don't have to worry about upfront costs. Also, you will pay less for you electricity over time. Also, it's difficult for people in a low tax bracket to take advantage of the Fed's 30% tax credit. If you don't owe a lot of taxes, it could take a few years to recoup that. Plus, you still have to pay that 30% portion up front.

SunRun supposedly works that 30% Fed credit into their pricing. I do also think the $1/watt buy out at the end is high and I wonder if it's negotiable. The fair market value of panels in 18 years has yet to be determined, but think about it. How much are used panels worth? Wouldn't you buy new? Maybe the materials will be worth something. I don't know. We'll see. It will certainly cost something to take them off the roof, however. I doubt it would cost $1/watt.

Other disadvantages, it's a long term contract with SunRun, and you will save A LOT more if you can swing buying a system through a home equity loan or cash. It's always best to buy if you can. Although, if you don't want think about the system, maybe it's worth it for someone else to be cleaning your panels and footing the bill for the inverter replacement cost in 10 or 13 years.

That's how I see it. Hope it helps the curious.

Thanks
    Solar Fred
    www.solarfred.com
  • BB.

Thank you Solar Fred for filling some details and dropping by!

-Bill

PS: I should add that we hope you find the forum interesting and have some fun too.
  • System2

Here is a copy of the contract I received.

I have it on my web server since it exceeds the upload size allowed in the forum.

here is the link.

http://www.webstroller.com/sunrunblackline.pdf

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Steve
  • BB.

Steve,

Thank you for posting the contract...

I am not a lawyer--so my 2 cents worth.

Looks like the contract is pretty straight forward as to protecting the value of SunRun's financial interests. Nothing out right unfair, if you read and understand (at least what I understand) the system and agreement to be.

Fixed pricing of $0.143 per kWhr for 18 years. You are responsible for paying between (roughly) 93% and 125% of the system "true" output. And, you will ensure that the array receives the same amount of sunlight through the years (trees, obstructions that are under your control). If trees (or neighbor's addition?) are out of your control--the contract will be adjusted.

If there are changes to law (such as new sales / excise taxes on SunRun leasing)--you will be responsible for paying them.

You will also still maintain an account with the Electric Utility... Net Metered. I believe you will be responsible for the credit/debit portion of net metering (outside of the KWhr the PV System produces for you). Ideally, you will size your system so that you don't get any credits (or very near zero dollars in credits) over the 1 year Net Metering period--which like (I assume) other Net Metering contracts, you will have to pay any debit at the end of the year, or the credit will be set to zero (not all plans are the same--research the utitlty side of this too).

I did not see an "inflation adder" to the $0.143 per kWhr--it may be there--but I missed it.

If, for example, you take the system down two months for adding on to your home, re-roofing, etc. -- you will still be responsible for paying them expected electrical production (less 7 days, and possibly a small per kWhr credit).

If you use less power over time (reduce house hold use, kids move out, get a place in Florida for the winter, etc.)--you will still owe them for the actual power output of the array.

I am trying to figure out the penalties/costs if you end the contract early (moving or other reasons)--But it appears you would have to purchase the system (if SunRun does not volunteer to remove it free/or for a charge). I don't know the size of the system--but the charges in Exhibit A do not seem unreasonable (based on their business model).

In the end--it will depend on how you feel about a fixed contract for electrical charges over the next l8 years. No matter what you do (conservation, change in life situation)...

But that would be true in the case purchasing such a system outright. Difference is in one case, the payments/costs are spread out--the other, the costs are up front.

I would compare their Exhibit A buyout pricing with that of another local installer and see what their cost estimate would look like (plus rebates) for a customer owned system of similar capabilities.

-Bill
  • System2

Thanks Bill for your read on that. I too am not a lawyer, but I have mine look it over and aside from the arbitration clause, he found it to be pretty fair, as long as I don't mind locking in for 18 years. I have been around for ~40 years so far and I have yet to see energy costs go down for any appreciable period of time, so to lock in the 5kwh ( my house uses 600 watts just sitting there, no activities going on. so I don't think I will be producing more of the solar than I will be using.
  • Solar Guppy

The only thing I noticed was the clause about taxes ... since your technically buying from a energy producer, your state ( mass ) , city or town tax electircity sold to consumers, I didn't see any exemptions to this on DIRE, which your solar system would fall under so you need to add whatever the tax rate per kw is to the rate stated, your also responsible for paying it if I read the contract correctly ... this could add ??? cents to the rate listed and should verify this before you sign on the dotted line.

Depending on the city town you live in I would wonder if you would also fall under the tax collected for the defunct SeaBrook Power Station which never went on line, I know towns like Sterling and Hudson had extra taxes on the electric and I'm not sure if another producer in that town would fall under that extra tax or if it still exists.

Also, you give up things like the Mass tax credit of 15%, the federal credit of 30%, the rebates of upto 4 dollar a watt ( MA ) and a production incentive of 3 cents kWh for all generation ... add at this up and I would bet you would find the kHw price is 1/2 or less of the locked in 18 year pricing with none of the restrictions of buying from a third party

Also what is your current kWh rate , is it lower than the 14.5 cents? so when does on figure it would just on this break even, including the fact your giving them 1000 dollars? 5-10-15 years?
  • System2

Hello - thanks for the invaluable information. Does anyone have a sample PPA Agreement of Lease Agreement from any other providers of PPAs of leases? I would be interested in understanding how the specific terms differ b/w the various providers. Thank you.

Also, Simbimbo, the link to the document you posted is not functioning. Could you repost that document or provide an updated link - was very excited to finally see an actual contract. Thanks
  • BB.

Steve has not been back since July 28th... My guess is you will have to send him a PM and see if will reply.

-Bill
  • jeffjet
    jeffjet Registered Users Posts: 1
    icarus wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with Sun Run Inc. http://www.sunrunhome.com/ and their leasing program? I have relatives in Mass. and they bought into the CitizenRe scam. SunRun is now advertising in Mass.

Is SunRun a more legit operation,,, it seems that they have done some "real" installs.

Tony

I have used SUNRUN and they were a very disappointing company along with their partner Standard Solar! Please be very careful with them if you even consider using them! Their staff is more understandable if you watch Cheech and Chong, Valley Girls Movie or better yet smoke a joint! You can expect to stay on hold for no less than 10-15 minutes, then when someone does come on the line about 15 minutes later you will be told that they will look in your problem and have someone call you back. Don't hold your breath, as they never call you back! When you call them, wait on hold for about 15 minutes to be told they have been really busy and then apologize for not calling you back instead of correcting the problem! As a east coast person myself, my time is valuable, as I am sure your is also. Be advised, that SUNRUN employees have no regard for your time or timeframe to get things done! I signed contracts/lease agreement with Sunrun/Standard Solar back on October 26, 2011 and my system was not complete to be turned on till February 27th a full 4 months! I was promised/guaranteed first year production of 9.8kWh. For the summer months of May produced 4.67kWh, June produced 4.69 and in the longest daylight hours July it produced a whopping 6.7kWh! This is way below what was promised and to date they have not explained to me what they plan on doing! In the mean time we had a small fire from the way the system was installed by Standard Solar/ Sunrun on August 19, 2012, I am still waiting for them to assign a contractor to start my system back up. Again, no regard to customer service or my time that I waste calling them to see when they will be repairing their system! I have called so many times that I was told to only deal with their Senior Attorney who emphatically insisted that he would get someone one out immediately. On September 25th, I spoke with Michael their senior Attorney where he promised me someone would be out within a few days. It will now be 10 days since we spoke and more than one and a half (1.5) months later I am still waiting with no one calling me back as to a date they will get the system back up and running! In my opinion, I would stay away from them and Standard Solar!