NAWS Forum A Retail Site ?

nigtomdaw
nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
A new member recently remarked that the NAWS Forum was a retail site, having realised that its owner Northern Arizona Wind and Sun is a retailer and installer of renewable energy equipment.

Well my 2 cents worth

In the 3 years Ive been on here it has never felt like a Retail Site. Members have been allowed to comment on equipment and prices from other retailers without censorship when its relavent to the post in hand.

NAWS occasionally gives his opinions on products some he sells some he doesnt, like other members who are in similar positions.

Many of the members on here are installers designers or just plain clever at most things. The advice is given free to help and educate the new and not so new.

This forum has members from across the globe who will never shop at NAWS but they are made welcome.

It has the feel of a family site IMHO were we all help each other and get along with the ocasional spats and differences of opinion which keep it fresh.

There is no pressure for anyone on the forum to recommend other people to buy or look at stuff from NAWS, the fact that they often do including myself, is because for me I get real benefit from this place and a return favor when its helpful to the post in question deserves it.

NAWS is probably the best Home Renewable Energy Forum on the net, yes its US based but its members easily expand these boundries.

My last point is a big thanks to niel and BB the moderators who make my daily visit to NAWS enjoyable.

Nigel

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: NAWS Forum A Retail Site ?

I completely agree.

The folks at NAWS have confidence in their company, and rightly so. They know they offer good product at competitive prices with quality advice & service to back it up. They do not fear competition, because they are competitive. That is sound business practice. This forum is worth it for them, in that it will direct people to order from NAWS just from that POV. Furthermore, it encourages the right information and attitude towards solar/wind products which helps the industry over-all (bad companies put a black mark on everyone) and inevitably them as well in the end. Drawing the line at actual advertising of other sites is only sensible.

I'd be buying everything from NAWS if it were practical. And there will be order(s) in future (need some small stuff to 'flesh out' my system). :D

P.S.: No, I don't work for them and they don't give me any sort of incentive to sing their praises. This is an entirely unsolicited endorsement.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I completely agree with both posts.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you are very welcome nigel. i volunteer because i too enjoy it and i'm not just talking about being a moderator either. all of us contribute and that does make it nice and attracts so many more who benefit with many of them also trying to help others with their experiences even if they are new to it themselves.:D
  • nigtomdaw

PS. niel and BB aka Bill are the inforce moderators and they will probably take a glass with me to thank Crewzer aka Jim as a founding member of this forum as the last moderator, he has now moved to a different place (note not higher ;) ) as an Outback Power employee. Cheers Jim 8)

Nigel
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Cheers to Jim and Niel who were here well before me...

And don't forget our host: Windsun who makes all of this possible, while still keeping an eye on the store!

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased from NAWS, before I even seen this forum, "Over looked the link at bottom of page":blush: And I had a very enjoyable purchase transaction, the sells rep was great! And will purchase from them again!:D But I have learned alot on this forum, buy reading new and old post, their is alot of great information here!......................Still scrounging up more dough for another purchase, cant wait!;)
    Thanx to all who takes their time to help us!
  • nigtomdaw

Bill my post was to applaud NAWS hopefully :blush:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Post was fine--just wanted to remind everyone of the man behind the curtain. :D

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwh wrote: »
    I completely agree with both posts.
    > I completely agree with both posts.

Ditto (while a retail site hosts the boards, not a lot of pressure to buy)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• nigtomdaw

which 2 of the 9 do you agree with ?
  • FL SUN
    FL SUN Solar Expert Posts: 94 ✭✭✭✭

Yes - thanks to NAWS for this forum. I don't post much, as I am learning RE technology, but I don't miss out on reading all the posts every morning and evening.

My thanks to the regulars who consistantly and patiently answer the same questions over and over again with the same eager enthusiasm. I don't want to mention any names for fear of leaving one out. But you know who you are.;)
  • nigtomdaw

Kool 8)...................Reposte
  • dwh
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    which 2 of the 9 do you agree with ?

Um...the two written before I wrote mine? :D
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Gents,

Thanks for the kudos! :blush: I made the following comment last year about this forum:
    I’ve held active membership in a variety of forums over the years. That’s now down to two or three, with the NAWS forum being one of the latter. I’ve learned a lot from this forum and its members, and I hope I’ve contributed a little. I’ve always been impressed with the forum’s level of civility and its technical focus. We’ve been a very fortunate bunch, but we’ve also created our own fortune. :cool:
    As far as I'm concerned, that observation still holds. Thanks to Windsun, niel, and BB for continuing to maintain the high standards!

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer

BTW, my job at OutBack will soon change. I'll post more details soon. ;)
  • niel

i hope that's good news for you jim, as in moving up in the company?
    btw, i've always enjoyed your posts too jim and you did much also to make this forum as it is now.:D crewzer was part of the original first group of members here as was i and a few others.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭

I wholeheartedly echo all sentiments. The forum is excellent. My order to NAWS, and others, is forthcoming. Hosting a forum such as this is good business practice!

I am, at heart, a DIY guy. I discovered NAWS while searching for high amperage DC connectors and switches for a portable high end audio system I did/was design/ing. I didn't buy anything, but it got me thinking... add solar. I haven't done that either... yet.

Back to the point of forum quality. I participated in some USENET forums dealing with 1) speaker box construction, 2) crossover design and 3) subwoofer driver selection. When my posts received responses, they seemed to exuded a certain level of DISDAIN! As if, "You little moron! You can't possibly hope to come close to any thing that I have done or know. Please go away little man and let me belittle others." Admittedly, I did learn somethings. But the atmosphere seemed unfriendly.

Can anyone imagine Crutchfield hosting a forum such as this?
  • dwh
    Kamala wrote: »
    Back to the point of forum quality. I participated in some USENET forums dealing with 1) speaker box construction, 2) crossover design and 3) subwoofer driver selection. When my posts received responses, they seemed to exuded a certain level of DISDAIN! As if, "You little moron! You can't possibly hope to come close to any thing that I have done or know. Please go away little man and let me belittle others." Admittedly, I did learn somethings. But the atmosphere seemed unfriendly.

Ahhh, USENET. There are some decent USENET groups (or, at least there used to be, I haven't checked in a very long time), but yea, probably 90% of them are big into the flame wars and putdowns.

Welcome to the internet, where everyone can be a legend in their own minds.

(Now having said, that, the opposite is often true as well; I remember years ago (BBS days) getting into a hardcore debate with a guy about "the nature of man". It rocked! We went back and forth for months.

That guy never did tell me that he was a professor of philosophy - someone else finally told me.

Now, where else but online can a blue collar bonehead like me get into a serious philosophical debate with a professor? That's something that would never happen in real life, but... "the net facilitates".)
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

While I suspect the OP has moved on, one relevant question would be, "So What if it is a retail site?" Being so doesn't diminish the value of the information imparted here.

Tony
  • nigtomdaw

Agree but the site has never has felt retail to me thats my point
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Crewzer i heard you may be heading west and moving up? Hopefully they get everything ironed out.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Essential resource and the standard for off gridders. My appreciation to y'all too.

Glad to hear Jim may be moving out here. If so, we can now camp on his doorstep to get the latest product information and knowledgeable technical navigation.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • niel

try a pm instead for who knows how long you'll camp out let alone have the right place.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Living where I do, you have to be patient for everything.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers