3 kw Turbines and reviews available

StevenB
StevenB Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭
I'd like to go another couple of steps up past my little AirX400. Despite the scalding reviews of the the next larger SWWP products, my 400 performs nicely for what it is. But really I don't want to invest in those next step up SWWP products.

Can anyone tell me if my 400 does OK, because it doesn't have it's own inverter to fail.....and/or because the blades are meant to flex flat to help brake, instead of nasty furling? I really don't know, this is my first experience as a beginner.

What are the best places for independent reviews? I like what hear so far about the Bergeys, but they don't have anything (I think) between the 1k and 7k.
Any suggestions for a dependable 3k (regular bladed, not a vertical)?

Thanks,
Steven

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: 3 kw Turbines and reviews available

See http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=217

Just a side note, we have been selling wind generators for over 30 years - the first ones were some refurbished Jacobs.

At this time, about the only small wind generators that we can really recommend are the TLG-500 for mid size systems and the Air Breeze for small or boat systems.
  • Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭

My advice: Go solar.
  • dlenox
    dlenox Solar Expert Posts: 42

Steven,

Home Power magazine just a month or so ago did a very extensive review of a *lot* of wind turbines, from 250watt to 20kw and there is a lot of good information there, includine prices.

Once you get past what some people refer to as 'toy turbines' (larger than 10' - 12') and get into the 17' or 20' animals it is a very different ball game.

I have a 17' axial flux wind turbine that I built myself, it is rated for 3kw and over an 'average' 30 day period it usually works out to about 800w/hr. This includes days where there is no/low wind.

During some storms I have seen it put out 7kw!!! That is scarey stuff!

I am grid tied so when the grid drops out I have to dump power.

Recently I built my own solar tracker and added 720watts of solar, and it rounds out the system nicely. Not to mention that it is nearly maintenance free!

My personal advice is that unless you *really* want a bigger wind turbine and willing to monitor and maintain it then go with previous advice and add solar to your system.

Dan Lenox
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

what in the world do you use for a 7kw dump load?:confused:
  • dlenox
    dlenox Solar Expert Posts: 42

neil,

good question!

I have a couple of industrial resistors, each are .6 ohm 6kw and weigh about 20lbs. I got them from a friend for $50 each - so the price was right.

luckily both times when my turbine was putting out that kind of power the grid was present and I did not have to dump it, but I do have the capacity if need be...

Dan Lenox
  • WisJim
    WisJim Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

The machines that are currently available and have a good track record (and the ones I would consider if I were in the market now) are the ARE110 and the Proven 2.5kw. They are both considered 2.5 kw machines, and work as advertised. There are some others on the market, but haven't been in use as long, or haven't been shown to be reliable.

Personally, I have a 1940s vintage 2.5kw Jacobs machine, that I first installed around 1979 and later moved to our current location.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WisJim wrote: »
    , I have a 1940s vintage 2.5kw Jacobs machine, that I first installed around 1979 and later moved to our current location.

Some guys have all the luck...
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,