Solar Pool Light Works!

Options
joe_danielewicz@msn.com
joe_danielewicz@msn.com Registered Users Posts: 6
I posted in this forum about using four Iridium phone solar charger panels to recharge a deep cycle 12 volt battery.

Well, I finally mounted the panels on a dog house and installed a solar controller and it works! Here's a picture. I changed out the 120V 500W original pool light for a 12V car headlamp and it lights up the pool.

I've also attached a couple of low voltage landscape lights to the controller.

Thanks to this forum for your helpful ideas.

Joe

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Pool Light Works!

keep an eye on your power consumption so that you don't drain too much from the battery. keep a watchful eye on the pvs' ability to keep a charge in the battery as well.
  • joe_danielewicz@msn.com
    joe_danielewicz@msn.com Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options

Niel,

Yes, I'm taking readings morning and night. I notice the battery is at 12.2 V in the afternoon after full day of charging before the lights go on in the evening. This seems to indicate only 60% battery charge.

Perhaps I should take off one of the 4 Watt low voltage landscape lights, and just leave the pool light?

Here's the spec on the Iridium PV panels, four of them connected in series:

Peak Voltage: 3.34 volts
    Peak Current: 2.97 Amps
    Peak Power: 9.9 Watts

Thanks,

Joe
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yep, you are pulling more out of the battery, than you are pushing in. Kill the pool light for a couple days, see if your battery has been damaged, or if you can get it to charge up fully. throw a car charger on it for a couple hours.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,