Voltage multiplier for charging during low wind

Arashi
Arashi Registered Users Posts: 12
Looking to get some use out of my generator in low winds.

I've been reading about voltage boosters or multipliers, but havent had much luck finding one. I dont mind if I lose amperage... because at least I will be getting some sort of small use out of my generator by increasing the voltage to a charging voltage.

All I can find are circuit diagrams and such, but nothing I can just buy and add to my system. Any suggestions (besides how sucky wind generators are in low wind areas), on how I might increase the voltage with some sort of multiplier?

Thanks!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Voltage multiplier for charging during low wind

Midnite Solar is working on a new wind capable charge controller that may have this function (if I recall correctly)... May be out sometime this summer (search for "halfcrazy"'s posts on subject).

However--this will only be of limited help (such as the case where a wind turbine will generate 400 watts into a 12 volt bank at 25 mph, but generate zero watts when connected to a 48 volt battery bank because it is not wound for the higher voltage).

If your winds are less than 10-12 MPH--there is probably nothing you can add to a "small" / home sized wind turbine to improve its output--short of putting it on a 60-120 foot pool or spending your money on solar panels instead.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is, if you get a
    input 8-25V
    output 20V
    device, you have to work out some logic to get the thing to switch in and out, as the gen spins up and down.
    With there being so little power in the low wind, it may take a while to pay for itself
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Arashi
    Arashi Registered Users Posts: 12

Im not really looking for the turbine to pay for itself. I think it's really cool to be able to harvest some energy from the wind and sun.

Even if It never even comes close to paying for itself, it's still a way better purchase than the expensive Gucci purse my wife just bought!

I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0264&keywords=voltage+converter&form=KEYWORD

Just seeing if there are any better options!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

There are things like this 12/24 or 24/12 voltage converter. And you can go to the company's website for more options.

If you were trying to power an electric motor (like a DC fan or electric well pump)--You might look at a linear current booster (intended for solar panels--may work in your application).

Regarding:
    Arashi wrote: »
    Even if It never even comes close to paying for itself, it's still a way better purchase than the expensive Gucci purse my wife just bought!

I like Gucci Purses as much as the next guy (i.e., not at all)--but it may still offer a better return on investment vs a small wind turbine (or trying to bootstrap it to run better than designed).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

The idea of doubling the voltage/halving the amperage to get "useable" power out of a wind genny is on it's face sort of absurd, IMHO. By the time you calculate the loses in a voltage doubler I think would have an equation that looks like this:

6 volts X 1 amp= 6 watts
    12 volts X .5 amps X .5 amp conversion loss=0 watts

Zero times anything is still,,, Zero!

What it is it,, the power from the wind increases with the square of the wind? The reality is that there is little or no useable power available at wind speeds under ~10 mph.

Tony
  • peterako
    peterako Solar Expert Posts: 144 ✭✭

I agree low is no power i have two sets a whisper 100 and a 200 ( :grr:cry:)

I have days that i have all the power that i need there are days that i am afraid that i find parts more than 500 meter away ( until now i found broken parts 80 meters away).
    i have days slow slow slow , and i have days just against or around the limit.

I am a electrical engineer and i am testing a lot. if i am just around the charging moment connecting a 500 ohm resistor ( i have a 48V setup) that is 5 watt the setup is stalling and even stops nearly.

i do not say that it is not possible using fast electronics but nobody until know is putting down real facts charge current plus voltage compared by same until same location same height etc.

and asking 300 $ and + for electronics 15 $ max. whit out any technical information makes me think.

Greetings from Greece