12 volt lighting

Options
dave g
dave g Registered Users Posts: 17
How much more efficient is it to run 12 volt DC lighting, versus 120 volt AC lighting through an inverter?

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: 12 volt lighting

It really comes down to how far a run for the wire and how much are you willing to pay for larger wire.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

The short answer is "it depends"...

Basically, LED's are probably the most efficient, followed by florescent and bringing up the rear, standard filament bulbs (halogen bulbs can be very efficient).

The reason "it depends" is because of the circuits that drive the LEDs and Florescent bulbs... "The ballast".

For LED's, the brighter ones need to have a specific current driven into them (like 1/2 amp) instead of 4 volts--so, for a simple 12 volt LED fixture, they may place an LED that requires, roughly, 3.5 volt and a simple resistor to drop the other (12v-3.5v=) 8.5 volts:

V=IR
    R=V/I=8.5 volts / 0.5 amps = 17 ohms

P=I*V=V^2/R=I^2R

P=V^2/R=3.5v^2 / 17 ohms = 0.72 watts
    P=V^2/R=8.5v^2 / 17 ohms = 4.25 watts

So, for a simple LED fixture--it is possible that 4.25 WATTS is wasted driving a 0.72 watt LED.

For a Florescent Fixture--they require higher voltage (and sometimes, depending on the design an even higher starting voltage), but a constant current (rather than voltage) once they get started.

In the end, whether a 12 volt DC florescent (with a step-up circuit and current limiter) vs a 120 volt AC florescent fixture (with a cheaper ballast circuit) but requiring an inverter--you almost have to measure the 12 volt power for the DC fixture and the AC fixture to see which is more efficient. And weigh the cost issues between a $15 DC CFL vs a $2 AC CFL---and the wiring issues of sending 10 amps of 12 VDC 30' to drive a 120 watts of lighting vs sending 1 amp of 120 VAC 30' to drive 120 watts of lighting...

In the end--if you have a small lighting requirement, small DC powered LED/CFL lamps (checked with a meter for efficient use of power, and as used in your application to make sure the light is sufficient and has the correct color rendering for your needs) will work for the one room cabin...

However, as soon as you need more than a few fixtures, and you have other needs (small TV, charging your cell phone, compter, refrigerator, etc.)--you probably will end up with more panels, batteries, and a true sine wave inverter.

There is a problem with running "cheap" 12 volt appliances (i.e., 12 volt car adapters) on a 12 volt solar RE system with storage batteries.

A car, typically runs between 12 to 14.2 volts (engine off, engine running). A solar RE system can run from 10.5 volts (dead batteries--which you don't want and/or long wire runs) to 15-15.5 volts when equalizing your batteries (especially in very cold weather)--which many car adapters appear to have problems with.

So--you eventually end up with an inverter (and everyone buys a MSW--Modified Square Wave Inverter). And MSW inverters have their own issues (can damage small equipment like cheap battery chargers, overheat motors like refrigerators, or work OK for 80% of your other equipment--who knows for sure which will be OK).

And TSW inverters are 10x more expensive vs an MSW inverter... But, you eventually purchase one of those--because you bought the cabin 50 miles from any store/RFD and can't afford the issues that come with an MSW.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

I measured current draw for anything I could find to power off my batteries once, just to get an idea what things would draw. Fluorescent lights were one of those things.

I have a 16W (two 8W tubes) 12V RV fluorescent light that pulls 1.4A. A 16W 120V CFL (Home Depot "store brand", it would have been nVision or Commercial Electric) powered through an inverter pulls 1.55A.

Another issue you have to watch out for, when using an inverter, is what does the inverter draw when idle? Unless you wire a switch back to the inverter (if it has that option) so you are turning it off instead of just the light. In my case, the inverter pulls 270mA no-load (small one, doesn't have a "search" mode). If you need to leave it on all night in case someone gets up to go to the bathroom and needs a light, that's another load to keep track of.

And that brings up another interesting thing I discovered. The above tests were with my 300W Samlex true-sine inverter. I also did the tests with an old Radio Shack 220W inverter. I thought it was mod-sine, but yesterday checked it with a meter and it's just a square wave! (No wonder the CFL buzzed...) Anyway, the power switch on the Samlex kills the whole inverter. No current draw when off. The RS inverter is *still powered up* when the switch is off, it apparently only breaks the 120V power to the outlet! That RS inverter also pulls 310mA at idle, even though it's smaller.

12V fixtures are nice for "always-ready" lights so I don't waste watts on an idle inverter, but my perception is the 120V CFLs give a much nicer light than the RV fluorescent for the (roughly) same power. That is probably mostly because the CFL radiates in all directions, lighting the whole room, whereas the RV light is mounted to a backplane thus only shines mostly down and somewhat to the sides. And as BB mentioned, the 120V CFLs are a LOT cheaper than the 12V equivalents.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

> I thought it was mod-sine, but yesterday checked it with a
    > meter and it's just a square wave!

That's "Mod-Sine". And why stuff burns out on it. Specsmanship!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

Okay, I thought "mod-sine" referred to something that at least had a few steps to the waveform, thus "simulating" a sine wave. The RS inverter just slams from 0V to +120V, back to 0V, then -120V. Perfect square pulses.

Granted, a true square wave would skip the 0V step entirely - so I guess this is just a particularly crude mod-sine!

I hadn't previously had any trouble (that I've noticed) running things off of it. I had an outage several years ago one night where I ran one of those circline fluorescent fixtures and a small tube-type TV on it for several hours. Otherwise just random short uses here and there. But the other day I had my work laptop plugged into it to recharge at a jobsite. About an hour of that, and I could smell that lovely aroma of cooking electronics...!
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    For LED's, the brighter ones need to have a specific current driven into them (like 1/2 amp) instead of 4 volts--so, for a simple 12 volt LED fixture, they may place an LED that requires, roughly, 3.5 volt and a simple resistor to drop the other (12v-3.5v=) 8.5 volts:

V=IR
    R=V/I=8.5 volts / 0.5 amps = 17 ohms

P=I*V=V^2/R=I^2R

P=V^2/R=3.5v^2 / 17 ohms = 0.72 watts
    P=V^2/R=8.5v^2 / 17 ohms = 4.25 watts

So, for a simple LED fixture--it is possible that 4.25 volts is wasted driving a 0.72 watt LED.
    -Bill

B.B.

Did you mean 4.25 watts wasted instead of volts?

Wouldn't 3 or 4 LEDs in series without the dropping resistor make full use of of the available power? I had the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that the forward biased voltage drop of a given LED was characteristic. If so, let's say it is 3 volts. Four in series would provide the characteristic voltage drop and the proper current would flow. Maybe. :confused:

Craig
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

actually modsine has been lumped into all inverters that have greater than a 5% thd. a square wave is simply a sine wave with all of the harmonics present.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Craig,

You are correct--it was supposed to be WATTS wasted--not volts. (Fixed in original post).

You can string LED in series and spread the voltage drop across the string (say 4 diodes * 3 volts = 12 volt drop)...

However, the problem is that LEDs (and diodes) are not linear devices... For example, using the 12 volt example above--when the battery is charging at 15 volts.

If it was linear, then the current through the LEDs would increase 15/12=1.25x... but in reality--the current can go up several times--and overheat / kill the LEDs. Also, LEDs (and diodes) shift their operating point with temperature too.

Now--instead of Resistors or series string of LEDs--There are lots of electronic circuits out there that run in current mode--basically, you "program" the device to only pass 0.72 amps, regardless of the input voltage or the LED's temperature.

Basically, a switch mode power supply setup to regulate current can be better than 90% efficient works well with LEDs. But--either you need to build your own, or find a fixture that does the regulation for you.

There are also companies that sell regulators (and kits) for LEDs (intended for flashlights) if you want to build your own fixtures. And there are off-the-shelf small regulators (and components) too.

There are other ways of limiting current (such as using a series capacitor with LED's at 120 VAC 60Hz)--although--that can have its own issues (such as with MSW inverters causing too much current flow).

One place you can look for information on driving LEDs is called the "Candle Power Forums" (started as a flashlight hobby site)--more than enough there to keep you busy for a few weeks. :roll:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38 (Sandwich Shop--small regulators)

Otherwise, you are kind of left with trying to find efficient fixtures by asking around and doing your own measurements.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

and different colors of LED, have different Vf specs.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,