ups on inverter flips on alot

lamplight
lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Hi
ive noticed with my new 1500w samlex sine wave inverter that the UPS in my home office flicks on briefly alot while on the inverter (ie it fkips to running on battery, for about 2 seconds, then goes back to the inverter power. the power is not actually shutting off to my knowledge. any idea what i can check for? i know that the voltage is steady as it happens in float mode too. i think there is a setting if i hook up a cable and configure it to be less sensitive. im just curious what its sensitive to. im not sure if ill understand the answers but thought id ask

Comments

• Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Re: ups on inverter flips on alot

hey lamp,

I have a voltage regulator that is connected to a wall outlet that is feed by my TSW go power inverter. When a large load kicks in the regulator boost the voltage and makes a clicking noise as it does it. You see when my fridge kick on the start up power is large (around 1500w) and the ac voltage drops and hence the regulator goes into boost mode. Maybe it is your ac voltage dropping that causes your ups to go into supply mode and then switches it back again when it realises the voltage is back up.

Cheers....
    Damani
  • lamplight

hi
    i really doubt that as its the only major load (andn only in the 100-150w range) so i dont see how that could be it , but youre right i should test, ill stick the killawatt on it next time, im pretty sure that can monitor voltage

thanks!
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamplight wrote: »
    ill stick the killawatt on it next time, im pretty sure that can monitor voltage
    thanks!

Unless you have a way to record the display, you may miss it. In fact, you may not even see it at all, as the display may not update very fast.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• fatheadl
    fatheadl Solar Expert Posts: 31 ✭✭

Hi,
    If the unit is in the search mode, I have seen where the load is enough to take it out of search mode but not enough to keep the inverter on. So it keeps switching between search mode and full on. This happens on mine when the fridge defrost after the heaters turn off.

fatheadl
  • lamplight

thats a possibility. we recently left for the weekend with the fridge on the inverter and came home to find it wasnt on. i had tested that the fridge would wake the inverter out of low power mode before leaving and saw it do it repeatedly, somehow though while we were gone it stopped working. thats a good sized load, cant understand that. maybe not big enough.

maybe this problem is somehow related. its 100-150w youd think that would be enough, i doubt its the voltage fluctuation as there no variations in the load or battery charging conditions at the times this happens (which would affect the voltage). i dont know what search mode is but ill look into the specs of the inverter. also i have another , better sine wave ups that i can put in here thats a better quality all around and will see if that makes a difference (im thinking its some sensitivity of the ups but may be this search mode thing. looks like the suns coming out today so ill be on the solar all day (am already). actually now that i think of it i am working on someone else's computer too so the load is larger (guessing 350w -ish) and its not clicking, you may have something re search mode
  • fatheadl

Hi Lamplight,
    If the power saving LED is lit the inverter is in search mode. It is lit solid when AC output is on but flashes when AC output is off

fatheadl
  • fatheadl

Hi Lamplight,
    I just checked, I have a S1500 and you have a SK1500 which is different. With the SK1500 there are switches to set the load size that turn it on from search or disable the search mode.

fatheadl
  • lamplight

oh cool, thank you ill look when i get a chance and let you know how i made out.
    -matt
  • lamplight

well i checked,i had the inverter on the lowest (20w) setting for power savings. i turned off power savings mode, but its still doing it , though not as much. i will keep it that way tomorrow to so i can see if it really is doing it less of if im imagining things. but i think ill need to have that low power mode turned back on though. i still have my other ups to try. i dont see how the voltage can be fluctuating unless it was that power search function. it happens even when everything is stable: float on the batts and a moderately steady load of about 120w AC.