basic solar question information

Options
Brock
Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
Could there should be a sticky that says what common info is needed for newbie’s (no offence intended), because they really don’t understand what we need to know to help them out. Like location, use (wattage & time) and lots more good info. It would help us help them and make things easier all around.
3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: basic solar question information

Brook,

Type one up in this thread and I will delete the other posts (like this one) and make it a sticky.

-Bill :p;) :cool:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Brock,

I was going to suggest that last night,, but I think my dander was beginning to rise!

Tony
  • icarus
    Options

Perhaps, on the registration page, there could be a sort of check list, several items long so that people can't skip to the bottom. The biggest suggestion might be (IMHO) that people spend a bit of time SEARCHING and READING! As we all know, many, if not most of the questions have been asked and answered at least once!

While many of us enjoy writing answers, sometimes it is clearly frustrating to answer a simple question that you just answered yesterday

Tony
  • BB.
    Options

We have had this discussion before about posting the FAQ with every question and answer from the last XX years of posting.

The downside is that we may end up with less activity (and less of a community--IIRC WindSun's side of the discussion).

There are a few things, basic electrical equations, what is needed so we can help with answers, what solar is (expensive) and what it is not (same as turning a light switch with power from your local electric company).

Sometimes, we try to get a little humor into the discussion--and, on occasion, it falls flat on its face. Either because of differing levels of experience or because of language/cultural differences.

In the end, I don't think we should have a requirement that somebody needs to follow a link and take a 1st semester electronics class before they can ask a question here.

At least for now, having "newbies" ask their questions and we try to mold them and our answers into a fit, this is--in my humble opinion--not a bad way to go here.

Perhaps, some of our new posters (who may have felt a little "beaten up here" with their first post or two) can add to the discussion here...

What would like to see us do different (or keep doing the same here)?

-Bill "Nice Guy with too much time on his hands" B. ;)
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jchamp
    jchamp Registered Users Posts: 22
    Options

Bill I could not help but answer this post. You realy helped me out with my solar problems that were hard for me to explain. Maybe I was even dumb about my solar kit. But you were very patience with me. and for that I really thank you. I think maybe Tony could remember when he was a newbie and use more patience. Thankful Newbie.
  • icarus
    Options

Jchamp,

Please accept my apology if I was curt. As I have said before,, the only stupid question is the one that is not answered. On the other hand I confess that I do get frustrated with people who always expect an answer without having to do any work. (Not to include any one in particular).

I do indeed remember when I was a newbee, and in fact am way more of a newbee than many here. I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little. People like Bill, and Jim etc know a lot about a lot!

Tony

Ask me how to hand split shakes or repair an outboard motor that has gone awash and perhaps I can be of more help!
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭
    Options

Just one tid bit in defense of the newbies out there. When I was first perusing these pages trying to further my own education, I found that the search function here was often times NOT that useful. I think that there are many people here who have not taken any time to try and do a basic search, read the FAQ's, or posting simply basic questions in the advanced forum...etc. Then there are certainly some (like me) who actually do know some basics, have read the FAQ's, and have tried using the search function, but still have some basic questions that are good to get out there for further (and more detailed) discussion.
    I think that one of the greatest things that this forum accomplishes is the ability to interact with others, and particularly with others who have much more hands on real world experience. I know that I have learned a TON from reading around here, and hopefully have not ever been too much of a pest...
  • BB.
    Options

Perhaps a couple of you can try this trick that sometimes works for me--and let us know how it works (perhaps we, as in WindSun, an update the FAQ or add it to the "search" function):

Go to Google and type in:

your key words text etc and site:www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB

... all in one line in the search window. You get your "key word" search, but limited to results on this site...

Sometimes for my, the Google search gives me better results (especially for "short/small" searches and better "related subject" results too).

The short word failures (like looking for "BZ")... I know they are there--but the VBB software gives up without even trying. The Google search returns 449 matches (which may, or may not, be helpful).

-Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sometimes, for newbes, learning the lingo is hard, like trying to find out why with microsoft, to shut down the computer, you begin with the START button.

Maybe a beginners page, with how to figure a watt-hour, a sample of a:
    PV, battery, inverter & 40w light wired up, and that could help them ask better questions.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• homerramirez
    homerramirez Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Options

Well, as you guys know, I'm new to this forum, and read a lots of previous post here before I wrote my first question but, in ours (newby's) behalf, every situation is diferent, the ready, fire, aim syndrome has attacked to all of us at one point or another, the lack of enough resources to try solar has made most of the members and guest to improvize, then is when we come to the forum for some technical and moral support....my wife thinks I'm going nuts......lol :D

thank you all for your support. ;)
  • jchamp
    jchamp Registered Users Posts: 22
    Options

Well I finished installing my 2/45w kits today. thanks to all the help I received on this forum. You can't find this kind of help on any other forums. The more I read and understand, the more respect I have for guys like Bill & Tony for giving their time to help us all. Thanks Guys.
  • BB.
    Options

There are many others that post here--we be nowhere without the questions or the answers.

Also, always need to remember the person behind the software and the store... "WindSun"

I thank you too.

-Bill