Blue Sky patented MPPT vs other MPPT controllers?

_OS_
_OS_ Solar Expert Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
Today I read a rave review (in Home Power #77) of the Blue Sky Solar Boost 50 MPPT CC and wonder if anyone on this forum know the main differences between their patented technology and other MPPT controllers (for example the Morningstar SunSaver MPPT that I own)?

Thanks!

OS

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Blue Sky patented MPPT vs other MPPT controllers?

I've heard the "others" work.

and the review was 2000 :
    http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/pdf/SB50ttw.pdf

edit:
    I had a brain far#, and confused BS with BZ.
    icarus wrote: »
    Mike,,
    I think you are confusing BlueSky with (BS) with BZ. The jury is clear on BZ. On the other hand I believe that most people are very happy with their BlueSky products.
    Tony

Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• _OS_
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I've heard the "others" work.

and the Blue Sky don't?

OS
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I think several people here have Blue Sky products and are very happy with them.

My only question is that, typically, BlueSky MPPT controllers don't have very high Voc ratings...

The Solar Boost 50, for example, has a Voc of 57 volts for a 24 volt battery bank... I find, that if you live in an area with very hot and cold weather, that you need about a 2:1 ratio of Voc (cold) to Vmp (hot) ratings.

In this case, the 24 volt battery bank needs about 30-31 volts to equalize (plus another 1-2 volts for controller voltage drop), and that would indicate that Voc would have to be around 66 volts or more to cover the entire range.

In reality, the Vmp (hot) is not a "hard" number--if the controller runs Vmp a little high, there is still power flow--just not optimal power flow.

Running the SB 50 on a 12 volt bank--there is plenty of headroom.

The SB 3048 has a Voc of 140 VDC... Much better head room (~60-62 volts + 1 to 2 volt controller drop x2 = 124 volts 2:1 Voc to Vmp ratio).

Not to say that these controllers will not work for your needs--just you have to be very careful to pick the right solar panel for your application to ensure that you meet the full spec. requirements for your location.

The Morning Star MPPT controller has Voc=75 VDC... A bit more head room for a 24 volt battery bank.

Morning Star also now has a brand new solar panel configuration program you can tryout.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been many complaints about them - use the Search function, and enter Blue Problem. Some think the smaller ones don't have a large enough heat sink, and just lots of chatter about them and problems. I don't own one, so maybe wait to hear from an owner about their experience.

edit:
    I had a brain far#, and confused BS with BZ.
    icarus wrote: »
    Mike,,
    I think you are confusing BlueSky with (BS) with BZ. The jury is clear on BZ. On the other hand I believe that most people are very happy with their BlueSky products.
    Tony

Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.

The data in the Home Power Mag looks bogus... Either there are errors in typing in data--or they are making it up.

I have a feeling they did not use lab grade calibrated measuring equipment. I don't believe the 99.3% efficiency.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

The patent relates to using a % of VOC for the vmp value, no one does this these days including almost all the Blue Sky products themselves

Also performance and efficiency wise they are not that great, in the 93% area. The SB50 is a VERY old design, close to ten years old.

One way I could make the Blue Sky unit fail to tracking was put an inverter load on it, the current ripple confused the charger mppt hunting ( it stalled until the inverter was turned off ), which is not the patented approach btw.

The SunSaver you have now is best in class ... there is none better in your power range and I have tested them all ...
  • _OS_
    BB. wrote: »
    Morning Star also now has a brand new solar panel configuration program you can tryout.

I did not know that. Can you give us a link to where we can download the program? I visited the Morningstar Software Library page but I could not find anything besides msview and the firmware download utility there.

Ole
  • BB.

It is in the link I provided the Morning Star products (on right of page--this is a web based calculator--no downloaded program):

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/products

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/strings/calc.php

I tried it and they don't have a lot of panel vendors listed yet--although you can type in the specs. yourself.

The program results do not lend themselves to easy printing the results (you have to "hover" your mouse over the "string" drawings to read the warnings--marginal Vmp, etc.). And there are a couple "tabbed" pages that need to be reviewed/printed.

-Bill
  • _OS_

Thanks Bill!

My panel (BP-380S) where not listed there but I will try to find the data and enter them manually tomorrow.

Ole
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    There have been many complaints about them - use the Search function, and enter Blue Problem. Some think the smaller ones don't have a large enough heat sink, and just lots of chatter about them and problems. I don't own one, so maybe wait to hear from an owner about their experience.

Mike,,

Tony
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

We discontinued selling the SB50 for two reasons - overpriced compared to the much newer design Outback and Xantrex designs, and lower efficiency.

While the Blue Sky controllers have always been very reliable for the most part, they have not updated their technology for quite some time.

And I wish that Morningstar would come out with a 30 amp unit.