12volt or 120 lights

banjorene
banjorene Solar Expert Posts: 36
AT this time I am running 2 120 volt 90 watt flood lights for Christmas to light up my home outside they run approx, 5 hours a night.
My question is
I have an inverter that I could use to run the lights off my 12 volt system or I'm thinking of purchaseing two 12 volt 128 led flood lights that the spec says they draw around 1 amp each ( or 12 watts each ).
Or I could just run the lights from grid power.
WHich is the most cost effective way to go ??? The bulbs cost around $18.00 each.
The reason I would go to 12 volt bulbs is because I am thinking of using them has flood lights after the Christmas season.
ANY thoughts ????
Thanks Rene

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 12volt or 120 lights

leds are better, but not everybody likes the results they obtain from them for various reasons. i'd suggest buying 1 led light and try it for yourself. if you don't like it in that application you may find a different application that you like it for so as not to waste your purchase or take the plunge/gamble on both of them. can you provide the link to the particular led in question so that some of our led experts here can comment?
  • banjorene

Found the bulbs on ebay I'm not sure if link will work but I would like to get opinions
    on the LED's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320241851158&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

May want to look over at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/, they tend to use the 3-5 watt cree type LEDs over the T1 LEDs.
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

I can tell you that led you have linked to will compare to about a 25w incandescent lamp. To get as much light as a 90w flood you will need about 23w of compact fluorescent ($10) or 23w of LED ($100+)
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • banjorene

Thank you that is what I wanted to know.
    Will compact fluorescent work out doors ???
    I'm looking for 12 volt bulbs ( flood ) and maybe some that I don't have to mortgage the farm to purchase.
    Rene
  • banjorene

Opps I maent to say will they work outdoors in COLD WEATHER
    Living in CT temps lately in teens......
  • JetMech
    JetMech Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few CFL porch lights on my house that I use all year long. The only downside in the cold is that they take a few minutes to warm up and brighten. I'm assuming flood-type CFLs are the same.
  • Brock

Yes, just get the floods that are basically a spiral CF inside the glass envelope (keeps the heat in). I use those outside and they all start, even at -20F, they take 5-10 min to get up to full output, but if you’re leaving them on you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend them in motion light floods for that reason.

I know I have seen 12v versions, but the cost was about 4-5 times that of the stock 120vac CF flood lamps.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • banjorene

Brock, do you have a part # for those lights. I'm having a hard time finding them
    Thanks Rene
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

i was hearing somebody once said for out doors you should use incandescent bulbs. are they also a form of CFL's or they are something different, which one is better recommended for outdoors?
  • Brock

Here is a link
    http://www.1000bulbs.com/Reflector-Floods-CFL/
    for picture purposes, I use mostly the R30 sized lamps, but I have a few of the R40 and Par38 units as well. The Par38's are better suited for bare outside exposure. I got my lights at Menards a local and less expensive version of Home Depot.