Newbie Q?? solar radiator fan

Options
Hi
I would like to fit an IP55 rated PC fan to the radiator of my motorcycle, and was wondering about thepossibilities of using solar power to provide the electricity to run the fan.

My obvious concerns are the robustness of the solar panels, as i will need to mount it on one of the plastic fenders, it will also need to be quite small (about 100mm x 150mm)

any info would be greatly appreciated (i am not an electrical engineer, so please try not to be too technical with your response)

thanks

Matthew

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Newbie Q?? solar radiator fan

And I don't know anything about motorcycles, so we're even! :D
    You want to put an electric cooling fan on the radiator of your bike, right?
    Doesn't it already have a 12vdc system for starting/ignition/lights?
    Lots of automotive applications come to mind: almost every vehicle today has an electric cooling fan instead of a mechanical one.

To answer your question about solar panels: there probably aren't any that would stand up to such mobile operation. At least not well. One that small wouldn't produce significant power either. You can buy 1.8 watt "battery boost" panels at most auto stores. They measure about 300mm x 100mm, and would provide a mere 150 milliamps of current at best. Remember: if the sun doesn't hit it directly, the output goes down. The likelihood of always getting direct light on a panel on your fender while moving is slim.

Almost all solar panel applications involve some battery storage.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As Cariboocoote said, a small PV panel, just won't put out much power at all. You best bet, would be to get a small automotive trickle charge panel, and mount it securly, and wire it in to be a battery charger - topper - offer. Running a fan from it, is out. Anyway, more than 15 mph, you get more wind blast, than fan can provide for.

Good luck
    Mike

--
    Back from a week of Thanksgiving feasting in Cape Cod, with my folks.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

thanks guys.

My bike is an off-road bike so does not have a battery. I also only need the fan on the slow technical sections, so I will look at the option of using a rechargeable hobby battery pack that i switch on when needed
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

try a bigger radiator and keep it clean if you can. a small fan like what you proposed wouldn't do much of anything in the big scheme of things and wouldn't be worth the expense.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    swazi_matt wrote: »
    thanks guys.
    My bike is an off-road bike so does not have a battery. I also only need the fan on the slow technical sections, so I will look at the option of using a rechargeable hobby battery pack that i switch on when needed

Look into NiHm batteries, as they can take a fair amount of abuse, and can be "fast charged" between rounds You will need a fairly large pack, because fans draw a lot of power. And if you can afford the weight, do go with larger radiator, or maybe something they used on old farm engines, hopper cooling, and just let the water boil, it can't get hotter than 210F
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    swazi_matt wrote: »
    thanks guys.

Even though it doesn't have a battery, it probably has a 12 volt magneto, or alternator built it. My old Triumphs and BSAs had lights but no battery, and they had a mag driven generator,,,would go south on a regular basis and blow out all the bulbs. Can't remember how it worked though,,, must be old age!,

Tony