Inverter must have separate ground?

Options
aj164
aj164 Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
Two inverters are mounted inside the home. The DC ground wire from the modules attaches to the ground bus inside the 1st inverter and jumpered to the 2nd.

For the AC ground, I'm using the ground wire that is inside the AC wiring jacket. Each inverter AC goes to a subpanel with #12/3 + ground. These grounds are tied in the subpanel to #8/3+gnd, which goes to the main breaker panel some 50ft away (exterior wall).

Do I need to have a separate ground wire (not the one included inside the AC wire jackets) run from the inverters to the house ground rod?

Thanks,
AJB

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Inverter must have separate ground?

i'm not getting a clear picture of what you are painting here for this, but maybe this link will answer your question.
    http://www.nmsu.edu/~tdi/pdf-resources/pdf%20version%20divided%20PV:NEC/PV-NEC%201.8/PV-NEC-V-1.8.pdf
    if this doesn't help you then try to describe better for us your circumstance and the problem you think you see.
  • aj164
    Options

It looks like I need to run a separate "DC grounding conductor", #8, from the inverter to the existing home grounding rod outside.

So the "AC grounding conductor" then can be the usual ground wire that is bundled with standard electrical wiring?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q) What kind (Brand, Model) of inverters are you using ?

Be cautious, as inverters generally work OK without a ground, and that one of the house wires (usually white, on the wide blade of an outlet) is tied to ground. You don't want to inadvertenly get both inverter wires hooked to ground.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• aj164
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Q) What kind (Brand, Model) of inverters are you using ?

Xantrex GT3.3 (240)
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Be cautious, as inverters generally work OK without a ground, and that one of the house wires (usually white, on the wide blade of an outlet) is tied to ground. You don't want to inadvertenly get both inverter wires hooked to ground.

Right. The neutral and ground are bonded only at the main service/breaker panel outside the home. The Xantrex has a ground bus bar, and the diagrams depict DC and AC grounds tying to this point. What I would like to make sure of is that I need to continue the DC ground (coming from array) with a separate conductor to the grounding electrode.

Let me see if I can make an ASCII diagram of the grounds:
    For simplicity, I'm showing one inverter (there are two).

Here's what I think I'm supposed to have:

[[Array] [Inv.] [subpanel] [main svc] [gnd]
    AC ................x________x______x_________X
    DC x________x_____________________X

Here's what I have right now:

[[Array]] [Inv.] [subpanel] [main svc] [gnd]
    AC .................x_______x_______x_______X
    DC x________x

The ____ is a ground wire, 'x' is a bonding point, and '...' is nothing; it's the only way I can make white space (a 'tab') using this editor.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, now we're talking.

> Xantrex GT3.3 (240)

The inverters are Grid Tie inverters, they work by feeding power into the household power panel, and that backfeeds the Grid, making your meter run in reverse.

The GT inverters produce clean, utility grade sine wave power, and MUST see the grid, to absorb the power they produce. They DO have a ground bonding point and their 2 output connections go directly to 2 breakers in your panel, to feed the grid.

They do require high voltage DC from a solar array (about 300 - 500VDC) to work.

You will also need to have an electrical inspection, and your power company will have an agreement to connect these to your house.

Hope this helps
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• aj164
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I understand how they work and how they must be connected, but I'm trying to clarify the grounding requirements.

The diagrams show all grounds (DC and AC) bonded at the ground bus bar provided in the Xantrex wiring box. So my particular question is, although these grounds are bonded at this point, do I still need to run two separate ground wires from the inverter to the building ground electrode?

It seems to me that, due to the ground bus bar in the inverter, having two ground wires makes little sense (electrically). Once the grounds are bonded, then any wires running from that point (inverter) to another common point elsewhere (building ground) are simply parallel conductors. It doesn't hurt anything, but is it really necessary? Is it "one of those things" in the code that you do because it says so?

A related part of this question is where these ground conductor(s) are allowed to run. One of them, no doubt, is the bare ground wire on the AC side that comes with standard house wiring (Romex, NM-B, etc.), and this obviously runs right along with the wiring. Where can the DC ground run (if required)? If the inverter is mounted outdoors, then you normally run a ground conductor from the inverter down the side of the building to the nearest grounding point. If it is indoors, however, (as is the case here) where can I run this ground conductor? Do I need to bust through the nearest exterior wall, or can I run it alongside the AC wiring, which goes through the attic before it finally exits the building?

Cheers,
    AJB
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options

This is a good question for Solar Guppy...

Personally, I don't like paralleled grounds, and I don't like multiple ground stakes to different part of the system/earth (if you need multiple ground stakes--tie them all to one location, then connection your building ground there)... Don't know where the current will flow, and makes everything more susceptible to damage from nearby lightning strikes.

Personally, if somebody was making me ground it this way... I would put a separate ground wire from the frames/mounts directly to the earthed ground rod under/near the solar panels... I would not run this in the house (although, I would run the frame ground wire next to the other panel wires/conduit until they need to separate (house run for panels, ground connection for frame grounds).

The rest of circuit--I would just run the normal ground through the house wiring from the GT inverter ground bus to panel ground...

But, I am not up on the code requirements and I don't live in lightning country--so I am not the best to answer that question here.

Just the direction of my thoughts...

-Bill

PS: Link to Xantrex GT PDF manual--see page 29 (figure 3-2) for AJB's discussion.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset