Earth4Energy - DIY Panels

Sorry if this has been addressed, i couldn't seem to find anything with the search engine.

I'm starting from scratch with solar, and wondering if anyone has had experience building their own equipment, and specifically if they have any experience with earth4energy. It's supposedly a complete ebook and tech support for the DIY solar builder. The website looks intriguing, and I have googled reviews, but all of them seem to be ads to buy the product, not exactly the endorsement I'm seeking. :roll: It's $50 to register and get the book and support. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Earth4Energy - DIY Panels

Can't tell much... But looks like a pyramid scheme... If you follow the affilate's link:
    Affiliate Payout: 75% of $49.97 + 75% of $29 backend sale.

Somebody else filed a "Ripoff Report" saying that the documentation is very poor and nobody returns emails.

Looking around, there is no address/phone number (that I saw), and a URL listing via GoDaddy with no contact info...

Making wind generators for $100 and "solar generators" for $150... Not likely that you will get any useful amount of power from such a system...

In the end, can't say that this is not a good website--but there are enough flags that would make me question laying out $50 for anything from this site.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

:blush: thanks, BB. I should have googled. Does anyone have a good recommendation for another site / book / workshop for building panels at home?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

What kind of panels do you want to build?

Solar PV panels--don't bother--buy good quality ones (around $5 a watt, or less if you find a good sale--although, watch out for shipping costs). You cannot build anything that will be efficient and last out in the weather for 25+ years.

Solar Hot Water / Hot Air--home made can be done if you have the tools, time, and materials... If you google around for solar + farm and such, there is information on how to do/size these types of things (we have a few threads around there too on Solar Shed and such).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2

:grr

Don't throw your money away. I did - not worth it.
  • System2

I knew if I typed a search for "Earth4Energy, forum" something would come up and sure enough. Obviously the same ol same ol, "if it looks too good to be true"... The red flags go up when you see a kazillion testimonials of Joe Blow from Whereever. The guy who says he's from "near Surrey" for example is carefully worded so as to not tell you if it's Surrey,UK or Surrey, BC. I live in Surrey, BC and know that if indeed this fellow did make such a devise over the weekend for under $200 it would have been big news through all media. Why would he just put this story on the internet when there would be fewer viewers? Could it be because it is BS and this is just a part of a marketing scheme to convince you "real people" are saying these things?

billy j meadows wrote:
    Don't throw your money away. I did - not worth it.

Do you think you could be a little more descriptive??

I find it equally important to provide facts whether you are a supporter or otherwise. If you don't you really contribute nothing. Being vague conceals the truth which is what we are looking for.
  • System2

"Somebody else filed a "Ripoff Report" saying that the documentation is very poor and nobody returns emails."

Have you actually read this so called report? It really does not say much at all. I become suspicious when they are trying to lead you away to another site with unrelated material. The links this person has put up appears to be just that, advertising, (Under the guise of providing useful information).
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

As BB says, there is no easy to build panels at home. It would be like buying fenders, pistons, crankshaft, valve train, and seat cushions, and drilling your own engine block, to make a car. (frame out of 4x4's)
    Much easier and longer lasting (20 - 25 yr warranty) to buy these commercially made, with the right long life laminates, vacuum bonding, and reliable solder connections.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,