Transporting Panels

shastaron
shastaron Registered Users Posts: 24
I am going to be transporting 24-190 watt evergreen panels without factory packaging. We purchased a 1 year old system and need to move them 90 miles after we tear it down.

Would it be best to load them on edge or flat?
How heavy of protection do I need (cardboard, moving pads, 1X4's, etc.)?

Later I will post everything we got and be asking for a few recommendations. Thanks for the help.

Ron

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Transporting Panels

Suggestion withdrawn

---

Talk to a window glass company. They have the racks on their trucks. They transport sheets of glass on edge, with supports so they don't bend. Maybe you can "rent a truck/driver" on an off day.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Stack them face up and use racketing tie-down straps to keep the pile tight together. I would also use some plywood on all 6 sides to keep the stack straight ( and also strapped ) and top and bottom to protect from intrusion damage

I would NOT stack on the edge as you then exposing the frame/glass to stress, very easy to damage that way
  • heynow999
    heynow999 Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought a bunch of Evergreens and they came with little plastic pieces for the corners that allowed them to stack up. The suppliers said he didn't want them back, he had a ton of them. Maybe you can find some from a local supplier.
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

I transported 6 of the evergreen 190's 400 miles into Baja Mex, flat as Solar guppy suggested and no problems. Just secure them well (don't let them slide around) and you should be fine.
    Larry
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the sheet of glass is just supported at the edges, and is horizontal, I would think that would be a vulnerable orientation, like if you hit a bump, and the glass flexes and breaks under it's own weight. Do you use wads of newspaper or something, in the middle to keep the flexing down ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

FWIW I happened to pull up beside a "glass installers truck" yesterday and he had the panels of glass in a near vertical orientation on both sides of his pickup truck in a custom made transporting frame. To stop the flexing he had adjustable 'stops' that made firm contact with the sheets of glass and there was a similar 'stop' on the other sife of the glass.

Also, I just transported several sealed units out to our cabin over some serious backwoods trails. the glass shops recommendation ... transport on edge. glass is the strongest in that position. flat can work BUT each sheet must be supported to stop flex...;)

Cheers
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada