Hugh piggot style wind turbine

halfcrazy
halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
well it has been a long time coming but yesterday we finally got the 10 ft turbine flying we may add 20 more ft to the tower but it is above things now. we really dont need it with all the pv we have but it will be fun to find uses for the extra electricity.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Hugh piggot style wind turbine

How is it connected (battery, charge controller, grid tied, etc.).

Let us know how it performs vs the predictions for your area.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

How high is the tower now, and how high are the trees around you?

Any system of lightning protection ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• halfcrazy

we are battery charging a 48 volt bank as we are offgrid. awaiting the Classic and Clipper combo to control it. it does generate in a lot lower speeds then i expected havent had more then a 6-9mph wind yet. the tower now is 70 ft and we have another 20 to add next time we are board. the trees around me are in the mid 40 ft range so we would benefit from the other 20 ft.
    lightning protection? it is on solid bedrock and grounded the best we can we are on the highest point in a big circle so we are up there and i don't have a good answer on lightning. i do have a twist lock plug at bottom of tower that i have a mate for that is all shorted so during a bad storm i could plug that in and drag my cord back to the shop witch would at least electrically isolate it?
    Ideas?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    ... during a bad storm i could plug that in and drag my cord back to the shop witch would at least electrically isolate it?

Ideas?

Get a socket to plug your 3 phase rectifier into (in the alternator head) make it easy to change? I've be cautious with any electrical storm within 15 miles (they move fast ! )

This is the thing that scares me about wind, getting high enough, and now you are the neighborhood lighting rod. I'd disconnect and short it all at the base of the tower, to a ground rod, and the shorted output will brake the turbine too. I'd also disconnect outside your structure, to keep the feed wire from the pole, out of the house.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• halfcrazy

Mike thats essentially what i meant i have a twist lock plug in the 3 phase ac line at the base of the tower and i have a second plug that all 3 phases are shorted that i can plug in
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

halfcrazy,
    please do keep us abreast of its performance and any maintenance etc you give to it so we can track how well it does overall. as to another 20ft of tower that would appear to max it out for it could windup going into the building if it comes down right with more than 20ft on it.
    as to the ground, there are many options from multiple short rods spread out to heavy gauge ground screens and even running multiple heavy gauge copper wires out radially from it underground. you can put it underground as there has to be some soil there. if you want to you can even have a long run underground to the house ground, but a rod would still be in order at the tower base even if shorter than 8ft.
  • halfcrazy

neil you are correct with another 20 ft it could hit the building but we wont stress over that i can always fix the building it is just a workshop. there is between 2-4 inches of soil at the tower base there is about 1 1/2 inches of soil
  • halfcrazy

Just some quick notes.
    The turbine has worked much better then i had hoped it starts at 6mph making 30-50 watts an i have seen 1200 watts in short burst with it direct battery charging. We have it running threw the Midnite solar Classic controller and all i can say is wow

we haven't had any good strong wind but i did get to see 2-2500 watts once. and now we have better record keeping and in lower winds around 15mph we see almost twice the power. we have a storm coming threw Saturday into Sunday and should get 30mph winds and we are hoping for 3000 watts.

The turbine runs much better on the Classic as well it spins a little faster and doesnt hunt as much in say the 15mph area.
  • trumpets3u
    trumpets3u Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

You state that you are using a Hugh piggot style wind turbine, Is this home made? or a brand name turbine?
    Thanks Brian
  • halfcrazy

it is home made Hugh is the original designer and the guys at www.otherpower.com have refined it a little. my turbine is a direct copy of there 10 foot machine
  • trumpets3u

Thanks that's what I was looking for. What book did you go by?
    Thanks Brian
  • halfcrazy

i had there little book and went by the website mostly. they do have a new book that is real good and informational
  • trumpets3u

How is your turbine doing in the strong winds today? In the foothills here we are getting gust to 35-40 today.
    Brian
  • halfcrazy

i am seeing 2500-3000 watts out of this poor little 1000 watt turbine this Classic Controller kicks but
    Where are you located? we are in central maine.
    i noticed you on otherpower that can be a very unfriendly dry place if you have any questions or want a closer look feel free to let me know. im not opposed to hooking the truck to the wind mill and letting her down for a viewing
  • trumpets3u

I'm in Greenwood Maine, just south of Bethel. WE are off the grid also. We are on top of a Mt. here and the wind blows, It would be nice to have charging at night and on the cloudy days. Your turbine gives me hope as the one's you buy aren't rated to good.I know I can build one as I have helped install ski lifts and done alot of the wiring, and a farmer.
    Thanks for the info
    Brian
  • halfcrazy

glad to help and if you ever find your way towards newport i would be happy to show you around and let you look over this turbine.
    we may be building a 17footer soon so that may be laying around to my neighbor is going to attempt to add on to his grid tied system.
  • trumpets3u

halfcrazy, Have you got the clipper yet? Can't wait to here how it works.
    Brian
  • halfcrazy

No clipper yet but i should have it in another weekish. It will really add a level of control that most people dont have yet. you will be able to control the turbine based on many parameters it will be a wonderful thing.

Brian i will let you know when it is all in place you can come see it all work.
  • trumpets3u

Thanks for the invite. Can't wait to see what it can do.
    Brian
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Halfcrazy,
    Outstanding! I too started a homemade Otherpower wind turbine. It's on hold until the panels are installed (can't pass up the 50% goverment rebate). All the welding is done. I can't wait to finish the project next year.
    Is your tower homemade or from a kit? I know Outback doesn't recommend their CC's for wind, does the Classic have a wind algorithm?
    I live about 300 feet from Lake Erie, nice breeze. I think this would be a great addition to my system.
    Thanks for the info!!
    Dave
    (gasmandave)
  • halfcrazy

Yes the classic is designed for wind, pv and hydro. it will have preprogrammed wind algorithms as well as user programmable and it will have the ability to Learn a turbine as well.

The clipper will add a degree of safety and control it will keep the turbine voltage below a user set point no matter what to protect any electronics down stream. as well as controlling the turbine based on many variables RPM'S, Amps out, Voltage, Wind speed and many more. I also believe the Clipper is going to open the door for grid tieng these turbines as well threw an inverter like the windy boy or the aurora?