Back to work on my windmill

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hey guys and gals,
I am easing into working on my project windmill. I have taken a long break from wind in general because, for the most part, it's a rip-off. I hope to have the 1kw unit completed by fall, just in time to test it out.
Wish me luck!

Kim

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Back to work on my windmill

Can you taunt us a little more about it ? Are you following Hugh's design, someone elses, or your own idea ??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I have worked on this type of stuff for many years. I came up with an idea and struggled with it because I couldn't get past making it work on paper. I finally worked through the part that was keeping the project on hold and then I put it off from all of the negative wind energy that is around us.

My idea will work. Will it be worth the trouble and expense, I don't know. The design is somewhat revolutionary. It is simple yet somewhat complex. It will not be the most efficient setup out there but it might be one of the most reliable and user-friendly units made. I have worked on this type of stuff all of my adult life and I wish I had a dollar for every time I said, " what was the engineer thinking when he/she designed this."
    I'm tired of flying junk. The only windmills that actually work are of the Huge Piggott design. Argue or don't believe me but they are the only design so far that is worth anything.
    The Skystream is a piece of crap and it makes my heart ache knowing peple were duped into buying it.

I have ordered some hardware to get started on my windmill. I don't want to give out any details because I may patent the technology. The last thing I want to see is my windmill being copied and imported from China!

Kim
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

If your concerned about patents, do some online searches first ... Wind generation has been around for 600+ years ( Holland 1400's comes to mind ), patents last 17 years from date of issue ... then is common domain forever

More than likely your "idea" has been done more than once. Not to say you shouldn't build it, but that its very unlikely what your thinking hasn't been built or patented before.
  • System2
    If your concerned about patents, do some online searches first ... Wind generation has been around for 600+ years ( Holland 1400's comes to mind ), patents last 17 years from date of issue ... then is common domain forever

More than likely your "idea" has been done more than once. Not to say you shouldn't build it, but that its very unlikely what your thinking hasn't been built or patented before.

Believe me on this one. I have no intention of re-inventing the wheel or a wind turbine. I have an idea that from my point of view, can work, be user friendly, and eliminate some maintenance issues. It will end up sacrificing some efficiency in doing so.

I know all about wind scams, get rich quick, I'm gonna make money selling power back to the utility company, I'm gonna spin my meter backwards, I'm building a house, etc.etc. What I am going to do is build something that works, is reliable, and worth showing off. I have seen a mountain of gimmicks and pieces of crap. This windmill of mine will not be one of them. If it does not work, I will scrap the thing. I am also aware of the history of wind. My only purpose of applying for a patent is to keep someone like FSW Turbines from stealing my idea and getting their comrades in Communist China to stamp them out by means of shoddy production.

Lets face the facts. The only small wind turbine out there that is worth anything is one you make yourself. I have seen and flown just about every brand out there and take it from me, they're all either way overpriced, and/or poorly made.

Kim
  • Solar Guppy

My point was applying for a patent is a very expensive process, before you invest the $$ do some online research

Best wishes on your wind adventure
  • System2
    Re: nothing

Thanks for bumping the post up with your trashy, illegitimate services.

[repeating the spam by quoting? don't give them more exposure than they themselves have forced upon us. ignore them while reporting them to us is what i ask for all to do and it'll save me the agravation of editing posts like this one. thanks, niel]
  • System2
    Believe me on this one. I have no intention of re-inventing the wheel or a wind turbine. I have an idea that from my point of view, can work, be user friendly, and eliminate some maintenance issues. It will end up sacrificing some efficiency in doing so.

I know all about wind scams, get rich quick, I'm gonna make money selling power back to the utility company, I'm gonna spin my meter backwards, I'm building a house, etc.etc. What I am going to do is build something that works, is reliable, and worth showing off. I have seen a mountain of gimmicks and pieces of crap. This windmill of mine will not be one of them. If it does not work, I will scrap the thing. I am also aware of the history of wind. My only purpose of applying for a patent is to keep someone like FSW Turbines from stealing my idea and getting their comrades in Communist China to stamp them out by means of shoddy production.

Lets face the facts. The only small wind turbine out there that is worth anything is one you make yourself. I have seen and flown just about every brand out there and take it from me, they're all either way overpriced, and/or poorly made.

Kim

Hi Kim,
    You should check out Southwind's Skystream 3.7 that just came out. It's built rugged and will save you time and cash over trying to build your own. The brochure claims 500 kw/h a month. You could be spinning your meter backwards while watching TV or something else.
    george
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

George,

There has been quite a bit of discussion about the SkyStreams and their reliability...

Use SEARCH on SkyStream and you will find many threads--many that are like this one:

Which Windmill

At this point, there is very little to recommend for small home sized wind turbine systems... They tend to be unreliable and expensive to keep running. Also, the amount of wind at any particular site is difficult to predict--and most manufacturers and installers tend to over predict the amount of power their product will output...

Take a look at this report from Massachusetts which basically recommends that they decline paying for any more wind installs as they perform so badly.

Wind-Works.org (pretty pro-wind site--but also talks about the downsides too)
    Massachusetts Small Wind Report 2008

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2

George, do you have one? If so, we need to see how many kWh yours has. How long have you had it? And how many kWh has it produced for that period? We need hard numbers.
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George, do you have one? If so, we need to see how many kWh yours has. How long have you had it? And how many kWh has it produced for that period? We need hard numbers.

Heh heh... from what I've read about them, hard numbers are just that... hard... :p
  • System2
    Telco wrote: »
    Heh heh... from what I've read about them, hard numbers are just that... hard... :p

The hard numbers you are asking for are right in the brochure. 500kw/h per month in 12 mph winds.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    The hard numbers you are asking for are right in the brochure. 500kw/h per month in 12 mph winds.

George/Kim/Dr. Watson,

I thought you (Kim) left this forum?

List of IP Addresses posted under by Kimberly:
    August 11th, 2008, 14:14 PDT #15 IP: 67.241.12.68 "Kimberly's signoff"

#20 IP: 67.241.12.68 August 15th, 2008, 14:35 PDT "George"

Also interesting... Mr. Charles Watson is also using this same IP address (67.241.12.68 ) too... And from Mr. Watson's post:

#14 IP: 67.241.12.68 July 11th, 2008, 18:10 PDT "Dr. Watson"...
    I don't usually participate in online forums, but felt a need to chime in here, if I may. I want to tell folks about my experience with Southwest Windpower and what evidently passes for customer service with them.

Some time ago, I inquired of a dealer in Massachusetts (Seaview Wind Energy, Mr. George Borges) about purchasing a large quantity of the Skystream wind turbines I heard so much about.
    And now more posts under "George Borges" replying to yourself and talking about Skystream under the name you supplied as a Skystream installer via the Dr. Watson pseudonym...

Why?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy

Good anti-spam detective work BB ...
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

uh, aren't brochure's just sales chat ? EVERY install will be different !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,