Newbie question here.

Options
Hi all;

Thanks in advance for newbie help.

Here it goes,

I have helped fix certan problems with a friends, "Solar system" basically tuning gen set to 120volt, so the charge controller functioned right, and found and fixed, a short to ground in thier wind mill.

Here is the situtaion, I am a weekend user of a cottage, every 2nd weekend, May-Nov and a 2 week stretch during that time. We run During those week ends, 6, 13 watt bulbs, for 4 hours during the weekends, 1 cell phone charger for 4 hours, 27" tv and dish receiver for 4 hours, and possibily 1 water pump, 30 minute/24hours every 2 weeks. Fridge and stove are propane/ice. Hotwater is a wood burning hot tub. but leave a little room for upgrades.

There is Sun light for a possible 10 hours/day June/Sept, less on other months, and wind 15/mph+ 1/2 of the days May-Nov. High mount, little obstibical is possible. Distance from Wind Gen. 100', dist from panels 25'.

I have a 2300 watt gen set back up.

P.S. There are no installers locally that I would hire, after seeing the install at my friends house, buy the way she is a full time resident. Even placing the Batteries so you can read them wasn't done.

I would purchase all equipment from them though.
What would the best set up be? Mostly Wind, Mostly Solar, or mostly storage?

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Newbie question here.

well you are on the right track, you just have to count up the watts for everything in your list after the light bulbs. :roll:

there are other postings with very similar questions to yours..Do a search for them.
    IMHO you will need a fair amount of storage for the uses (just looking at what you run without numbers) and to match up to the batt. about 5 % of the battery amps in incoming current to keep the battery well charged. Clear? 100 amp batt needs 5 amps to do a good recharge.

Get the numbers and we can help further

cheers

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks West.

I sort have thought it is more of a storage problem, than a capture problem (the wind always blows here if it isn't raining) I will get the wattage useage#'s

Lets say 250 watts for the 4 hours of usage for the TV/Sterio, 2 days every 2 weeks during the summer +2 weeks May/Nov.

100/hr watts, for the water pump again 30 min/every 2 week May-Nov

So Max is 500 watts/ hour for 12 hours, every 2 weeks through out the summer May-Nov.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doh wrote: »
    (the wind always blows here if it isn't raining)

Do any neighbors have wind generators, and any feedback if they actually produce any usable power? Big problem with wind, is blades turn in 10mph wind, but dont produce power till 18mph.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Do any neighbors have wind generators, and any feedback if they actually produce any usable power? Big problem with wind, is blades turn in 10mph wind, but dont produce power till 18mph.

Yes neighbours wind generators do work on windy days. My posistion is much better, more open to the westerlies, as well as a high rock face right behind the cabin.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, looking at the loads you mentions that they can be, e.g. pump 30 min / 2 weeks. You need to consider if the other loads will be needed on the same day or if they can be 'delayed ' for a day or 2 between the heavier loads.

Remember, you do NOT want to deplete your battery below 50 % State of Charge (SoC) [or inversely DoD ( Degree of Discharge)]. So add up all your loads for a day and see what size of battery will be needed to 'give' you the power you need.

Assuming you will use mainly solar, things like the water pump could be run in the PM after the battery has recharged [and the CC (Charge Controller ) is in "Float" mode]. (Assuming a DC Pump here)

The trick here is to 'grab' some of the excess solar energy, that will top off your charge state, and use it, without drawing from the battery. Charging your cell phone at this time is good too, as it is a low amperage draw.

Look for 'car chargers' to use so you aren't converting 12 v to 110 AC and back to 3.5 v

HTH

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada