Fm80 - T100

Options
Hello,

I am interested in one of the charge controllers:
Outback Flexmax 80
Apollo T100

I have seen, that the amps, volts and price is higher of the T100.
What other differences are between them?

How is the quality of them?

The panels will have about 1500WP and are about 50m far away of the charge controller.
The volts should be as high as possible to save wire costs.
Batteries, Inverter and Charger from the generator have all 24V.

Thanks

BRJ

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Fm80 - T100

BRJ,

The T-100 and FM80 are both large and feature-rich MPPTR charge controllers, and they both come with five year warranties.

The T-100 can handle PV arrays with higher power- and voltage specs than can the FM80, and it includes a built-in battery status monitor. However, it’s also more expensive than the FM80.

The main technical advantage of the T100 for your application might be the higher input voltage specification, as this might allow you to configure your array for a higher voltage. This could be helpful for your array located 50 meters from the battery bank.

However, you’ll have to compare temperature-corrected array specs for different configurations along with wire size and cost to determine the optimal solution.

Note, however, that this is not a free benefit. All else being equal, a higher array voltage means that the controller will operate at lower efficiency. Additionally, there are no readily available DC circuit breakers available for >150 VDC systems, so you’d need to use fuses for over-current protection of the array string(s).

I would suggest that either controller is larger than you need for your planned system with 1,500 W and a 24 V battery bank. Instead, you may wish to consider an OutBack MX60, a Xantrex XW60, or the just announced OutBack FM60. The latter model is a replacement for the MX60 and is a 60 Amp version of the FM80.

HTH,
    Jim Goodnight
    “crewzer”
    OutBack Power Systems
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Dear Jim,

I will perhaps use one of the following modules:
    http://www.schottsolar.com/uploads/media/SCHOTT_ASI_78-81-86_en.pdf

At moment it is not easy to get modules in Germany.

With the FM80 I can make 6 modules serial in one string.
    Nominal voltage is about 100volts.
    Open circuit voltage will be about 136V.

3 strings makes about 1450W nominal power.
    Is the initial power of 1800W not to high for the MX60?

I think a cable with 25mm² is for 50m necessary.
    What is your opinion?

With FM80 it is possible to make later 4 strings.

I found prices for MX60 about 490 USD and for FM80 about 570 USD in USA.
    In Germany they cost 980 USD and 1100 USD.

Why do they cost here so much more?

What should be all in the combiner for this system?
    circuit breaker
    overvoltage protection (lightning)?
    grounding lug

Is the circuit breaker enough for lightning?

The difference between MX60 and FM 80 are voltage and amps.
    Anything else?

Thanks

BRJ
  • crewzer
    Options

BRJ,

I'm on travel today and I have family activities this weekend. I'll respond to your questions on Monday.

Regards,

Jim Goodnight
    "crewzer"
    Eastern Regional Sales Manager
    OutBack Power Systems
  • crewzer
    Options

BRJ,
    I will perhaps use one of the following modules:
    http://www.schottsolar.com/uploads/m...8-81-86_en.pdf

At moment it is not easy to get modules in Germany. With the FM80 I can make 6 modules serial in one string. Nominal voltage is about 100volts. Open circuit voltage will be about 136V.
    PV module specs are based on a cell temperature of 25 C. When the modules are colder, the module voltage will increase. For example, here in the U.S. we use a standard multiplier of 113% for ambient temperatures down to -10 C, and 125% for ambient temperatures down to -40 C Ref NEC 680-7).

At -10 C, the temperature corrected voltage specs would be ~113 V and ~154 V. The latter value is higher than the FM80’s limits (145 V operational and 150 V absolute maximum), so the six modules in a series string is not a good idea. I’d recommend a maximum of five modules per series string.
    3 strings makes about 1450W nominal power. Is the initial power of 1800W not to high for the MX60?
    The MX60 is factory rated for a maximum 1,600 W STC PV array for 24 V battery systems. However, the controller’s output current setting can be increased from 60 A to ~70 A (see “Charger” menu), and, unofficially, I’ve heard of ~2,000 W arrays being used with the MX60 and 24 V batteries. But, it’ll likely run a bit warm, so a spare cooling fan or two would be a good idea.
    I think a cable with 25mm² is for 50m necessary. What is your opinion?
    Assuming that the array is ~50 meters from the controller, the total wire length will be 100 m (328 feet). Assuming a 1,600 W array configured for “60 V” nominal (~80 Vmp), the maximum operational current will be ~20 A. Assuming a maximum voltage drop of 1.5%, you’ll need “3/0” wire (~85 mm2).

Reference: FM80 and FM60 User Manual ( http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs/manuals/flexmax.pdf )
    With FM80 it is possible to make later 4 strings.
    The FM80 is rated for arrays of up to 2,500 W STC with 24 V battery systems.
    I found prices for MX60 about 490 USD and for FM80 about 570 USD in USA. In Germany they cost 980 USD and 1100 USD. Why do they cost here so much more?
    U.S. prices typically do not include shipping or local taxes. I suspect that European prices include shipping to Europe, import duty, and local tax.
    What should be all in the combiner for this system? circuit breaker… overvoltage protection (lightning)? grounding lug
    PV array combiner boxes typically include circuit breakers. See information on the OutBack FlexWare PV combiner boxes and DIN-mount DC rated PV array circuit breakers for more info: http://www.outbackpower.com/products/integration_hardware/flexware_pv/
    http://www.outbackpower.com/products/integration_hardware/system_components/

OutBack’s combiner boxes (and controller and inverters) include grounding lugs. System grounding should be carried out according to local electrical standards.
    Is the circuit breaker enough for lightning?
    Probably not. Again, check local standards. The OutBack controller’s contain limited lightning protection (MOV’s). External lightning arrestors are recommended. See: http://store.solar-electric.com/deliar.html
    The difference between MX60 and FM 80 are voltage and amps. Anything else?
    The main differences between the MX60 and the FM80 are:

MPPT algorithm: periodic sweep vs. continuous tracking
    Output current: 60 A vs 80 A
    Ambient temperature: 25 C vs 40 C for full power
    Operational Input Voltage: ~141 V vs. 145 V
    Remote Programming: no vs. yes (via Mate)
    Data Logging: 64 days vs. 128 days

Note that MX60 production has been discontinued. It has been replaced with the FlexMax 60, which is the same physical size as the legacy MX60, and is still rated at 60 A output, but otherwise offers all of the features of the FM80. See here for more information: http://www.outbackpower.com/products/charge_controllers/flexmax/

I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Regards,
    Jim Goodnight
    “crewzer”
    Eastern Regional Sales Manager
    OutBack Power Systems
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Dear Jim,

thank you for your answer..
    I have ordered the Flexmax.
    Perhaps I will use the Kaneka K60 modules.

Thin film modules produce on the beginning more Wp as later.
    How many Kaneka K60 modules can max. run on the FM80?

Best regards

BRJ
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

from what jim had written to you, "The FM80 is rated for arrays of up to 2,500 W STC with 24 V battery systems." this will be lower for 12 battery systems and higher for battery systems that are higher and runs fairly linear meaning x2 battery voltage = x2 wattage capability.
    Maximum Solar Array: 12 VDC systems 1250 Watts / 24 VDC systems 2500 Watts / 48 VDC systems 5000 Watts / 60 VDC Systems 7500 Watts.
  • crewzer
    Options
    Batteries, Inverter and Charger from the generator have all 24V.
    Perhaps I will use the Kaneka K60 modules… Thin film modules produce on the beginning more Wp as later…. How many Kaneka K60 modules can max. run on the FM80?
    BRJ,

As indicated, the FM80 is rated to handle a PV array rated at between 2,000 W STC and 2,500 W STC when used with 24 V (nominal) battery systems. The maximum rating depends on local electrical codes and standards.

Here’s a link to the latest spec sheet: http://www.outbackpower.com/products/charge_controllers/flexmax/

You could connect between 33 (1,980 W STC) and 41 Kaneka K60 modules (2,460 W STC) to a single FM80, depending on the local electrical code and standards. However, it would be a potentially messy installation.

Ref: http://www.havelland-wind.de/images/files/1208514687-2.pdf

The K60’s unusually high Voc (92.0 V) limits the array configuration to no more than one PV module in series for connection to the FM80. Accordingly, all K60 modules for your array would have to be connected in parallel.

The K60’s 67.0 Vmp also means that the modules generally can’t be used to charge 48 V (nominal) batteries, as the module voltage will drop as they heat up. This would be a problem should you want to increase your system size and/or convert to a 48 VDC inverter

Accordingly, I would not recommend the Kanera K60 module for your system.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer